Quick Excercise Question

Options
Some of you may think i'm being lazy when i say this but here goes.
I work at a residential nursing home as a care assistant my job includes hoisting people, cleaning washing them, feeding them, taking to the toilet etc. the building is 3 floors so i use stairs a lot and i'm constantly walking around, my shifts vary from 12, 6, to 4 hour shifts. I was basicaly wondering if this job is under the category "excercise" and where would it come under on MFP i've noticed alot of people updating their excercise and i feel really lazy when i don't put anything up i work alot duriong theweek and when i finish work most of the time i'm just tired. This week i'm also going swimming and hopefully zumba but in case i don't i was just wondering if my job is termed as excericse and where can i put it.... x

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Some of you may think i'm being lazy when i say this but here goes.
    I work at a residential nursing home as a care assistant my job includes hoisting people, cleaning washing them, feeding them, taking to the toilet etc. the building is 3 floors so i use stairs a lot and i'm constantly walking around, my shifts vary from 12, 6, to 4 hour shifts. I was basicaly wondering if this job is under the category "excercise" and where would it come under on MFP i've noticed alot of people updating their excercise and i feel really lazy when i don't put anything up i work alot duriong theweek and when i finish work most of the time i'm just tired. This week i'm also going swimming and hopefully zumba but in case i don't i was just wondering if my job is termed as excericse and where can i put it.... x

It's certainly under the category of 'calorie burning'
    But unless your heart rate increases to 65% of your maximum then it isn't 'exercise'
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    Your day-to-day activity level is recorded when you sign up for MFP. Caloric requirements are calculated based on your weight and chosen activity level. If you chose an active (not sedentary) lifestyle, you should not record your work as exercise.
  • Mariacarr1992
    Mariacarr1992 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    how can i find out how many calories i burn i know on here i see peoples status saying so and so lost 365 calories from ....., i was wondering how i coud do that x
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Your day-to-day activity level is recorded when you sign up for MFP. Caloric requirements are calculated based on your weight and chosen activity level. If you chose an active (not sedentary) lifestyle, you should not record your work as exercise.

^this!
  • Mariacarr1992
    Mariacarr1992 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ok x
  • naomicp
    naomicp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a heart rate monitor from tesco, its a kelly homes one and it was £25. Perhaps you could get one and wear it to work to see how many cals you are burning :-)
  • melliamsburg
    melliamsburg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    that line of work defnitely counts as 'calorie burning' and you can add your own exercise and calories burned. ie: nurse- 8 hour shift / total calories burned (in heart rate zone) 800. use the add exercise link, search a word similar and if nothing shows then add it to the database.
    secondly, my personal trainer Miss Cherie had me invest in a trusted because it's fairly accurate heart rate monitor. (affordable compared to the hundred plus dollar one i really wanted that was an arm band).

http://www.polar.fi/en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4

she recommended the FT4 because the bells and whistles are unnecessary. the arm band that i wanted to get from a different company is dead on accurate but this does the job. :) it's water resistant as well. you do need to soak the electode band in water and place it snugly beneath your tenders to get the most accuracy, but you'd be surprised at how many calories you burn in a day. you begin to get addicted because you'll want to up the number burned each day and plug in at MFP. :D