does taking anti-depressants make u gain weight?

Options
Im takin anti-depressants because my dr recommended that I take them ...the whole thing with my weight and work and everything else has affected me somehow im eating more ..especially when I feel down ...ill eat good in the beginning of the day and then at night i tend to get hungrier n hungrieIm takin anti-depressants because my dr recommended that I take them ...the whole thing with my weight and work and everything else has affected me somehow im eating more ..especially when I feel down ...ill eat good in the beginning of the day and then at night i tend to get hungrier n hungri...so can it be that the hunger might be from the anti-depressants?

Replies

• patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but right before bed, eat a handful of nuts (protein) you won't get those hunger pains. I've been on prozac for 20 years, I would much rather take the anti-depressant then to be depressed.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    It depends on the type of anti depressant. What are you taking?
  • Yummypunknpie
    Yummypunknpie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im takin paxil 10mg
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    Ok then Paxil (Paroxetene) is a standard SSRI which means it acts to nural synaps to block the reuptake serotonin. This class of drugs is fantastic for people with generalized depression disorder but unfortunately it has a lot of side effects among them is weight gain. However people have also reported weight loss as a side effect.

How long have you been taking them for?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used to take Paxil, but my doctor told me Celexa (Citalopram) is a better option now. I haven't noticed a problem with it. Sometimes I get the munchies, but not all the time. And when I do, I just eat something healthy. So far, I am losing.....slowly, but that's the idea. :)

It is true that exercise releases endorphins that make you feel good....I can attest to that. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Ok then Paxil (Paroxetene) is a standard SSRI which means it acts to nural synaps to block the reuptake serotonin. This class of drugs is fantastic for people with generalized depression disorder but unfortunately it has a lot of side effects among them is weight gain. However people have also reported weight loss as a side effect.

How long have you been taking them for?

Yep. I took 50mg per day for couple years and gained a crap load of weight, without changing anything with my eating habits or exercise.

You may find that exercise is a natural antidepressant for you. I am not saying go off the antidepressant til you've talked to your dr or had a mood change but just letting you know, after a while you may (may, not will!!) notice a lift in mood.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Some people gonna say they gain weight as for me I loss the first time I use them but this time around not so much but it has level off. I can tell you by far its better to be on them than be depressed. I feel like awesome everyday. Energy is back. I feel alive again. With that kinda feelin it gets you back where you need to be again and once you get yourself back it will be easier to function and help with your weightloss. It helps you take control back again. But its not a quick fix, you'll have to work with it. Once that happens Im sure your weight will release again.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    Everyone has different biochemistry and unfortunately some medications have side effects which sometimes are worse than the actual condition itself. I'm not saying this is the case for you, it is just a common problem. I was on a medication recently that ended up putting about 35 lbs of weight (that I had lost) back on. The scale didn't drop no matter what I did. It was a good week when I didn't gain. I finally had to switch to something different and now it's falling back off again. I'm not saying this will definitely happen or that this is for sure your problem, but if you are concerned I would certainly recommend talking to your doctor. Good luck and I hope it all works out.