Kettlebell - how many calories?

Options
Hi,

My friend gave me a kettlebell .. 8 kg for start is just ok.
Internet is full of workouts, programs etc. and I'm not sure what source is relevant.
Does anybody have some good source for beginners?

And my main question .. how many calories is burned with this tool?
In one source I found information of 20 kcal per minutes of workout.
And is kettlebell cardio or strength type of workouts . I suppose that it is some combination of both

Regards

Gordan

Replies

• crazysexykoo
    crazysexykoo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I work out with a kettlebell 2-3x per week using the Skogg Kettlebell System dvd: http://www.amazon.com/SKOGG-System-Kettlebell-Workout-DVD/dp/B004Q74WRA.

There are 4 individual workouts with 4 different fitness levels to choose from. An instructional dvd is also included that teaches good form/technique which are extremely important to master to get an optimal work out while avoiding injury.

I wear a HRM and after a 30 min. workout (swinging 15lbs or 7 kg), I typically burn about 375-400 calories. As I continue to master the various moves and start increasing the weight, I’m sure I’ll burn much more.

I would say that kettlebell workouts are both cardio/strength….Good Luck!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You burning calories will depend on.....your weight, height, intensity, workout regime, and length. I would suggest buying an HRM to get a decent measurement of calories burned as well as your heart rate.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey

I just bought my 1st kettle bell. This great video I found, she suggested 15 lbs, but was a bit much for me, so starting w/10. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdm0Z97Nb8s

I love my Polar HRM, FT4, most accurate. I bought a Timex and hated it! This will show you ur burn during a workout. I love it!

Happy journey!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LvhjWh1vA

Just gonna post this as I've honestly never seen anyone perform a proper kettlebell swing at my gym. This girl has it down perfect and she explains it well.
  • gordan1972
    gordan1972 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all on answers. I'm currently on vacation so I'm not using kettlebell, but I swimm and walk at least 3 km everyday.
    When I return at home I will continue to excercise with ketlebell.

Kind regards from Dubrovnik

Gordan
  • SaraHaxton1
    Options
    I have a kettle-bell and I don't even bother to add it to my log book. Simply because I have no idea where to put it or how to log it. And what is a HRM and how does it count your calorie burn?
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Google myomytv she does video with kbs and has beginner tutorials to get you started.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Google myomytv she does video with kbs and has beginner tutorials to get you started.

I like this lady...Marianne!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Just gonna post this as I've honestly never seen anyone perform a proper kettlebell swing at my gym. This girl has it down perfect and she explains it well.

Love this tutorial. Thank you.
  • naturaldiva67
    Options
    Thanks! you just answered my question i was going to ask, how the heck do u figure how many calories burned doing this workout. :smile:
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    bump
  • manich
    manich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use a kettlebell, please make sure you have some training. It is so imperative to have good form or you could do SERIOUS damage to your body. DRAGON DOOR offers many DVD's and tips and hints. Look for a trainer that is RKC certified. :)
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    I have a kettle-bell and I don't even bother to add it to my log book. Simply because I have no idea where to put it or how to log it. And what is a HRM and how does it count your calorie burn?

heart rate monitor. they generally come with a chest strap which measures your heart beat against your stats that you put in (height, weight, age, sex, etc) & calculates calories burned.
  • Embilldexter
    Embilldexter Posts: 5 Member
    Options

This is Fab thank you!
  • beckiwf
    beckiwf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    great video, i've booked marked this.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has some free videos for kettlebell workouts too.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Find a certified instructor in your area to teach you how to use a kettle bell. My trainer is Strongfirst certified (SFG), or an RKC instructor would be good as well.

Honestly, an 8kg kettle bell isn't really going to do a whole lot for you. As a female, I started out using a 12 kg bell, and now can do swings and squats with a 24 kg bell fairly easily. I am pressing a 16 kg bell, although my PR is a 20 kg one.

To get the most benefit, learn how to do the techniques, and then don't be afraid to go heavy. In fact, you will find that most moves may be difficult for you to get the timing down on if you are using an 8 kg because it is too light for you. To a point, more weight will actually make it easier to learn how to clean, snatch, etc.

A properly structured workout will be a good combination of both strength and cardio. It's just one of the things that make them such a great tool. You can get more bang for you buck, by not having to do cardio after finishing your strength training.

I've been working out with kettle bells for a year now, and absolutely LOVE them! Combined with diet and an occasional walk, it's how I have lost all my weight so far.

52347977.png
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My kettlebells don't have any calories....but they're high in iron. :)
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just bought my 1st kettle bell. This great video I found, she suggested 15 lbs, but was a bit much for me, so starting w/10. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdm0Z97Nb8s

The best part of this video is the funny doggy video-bombing. :lol: (The rest is informative as well!)

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Great necro, wonder how much longer this zombie thread can go.