Lifting heavy not better

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Repost as posted in wrong forum initially.

This doesn't surprise me, but it's still nice to know research agrees when faced with the constant barrage of "you must lift heavy" and "light weights do nothing" posts on these forums.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_125127.html

With Weights, You Can Lighten Your Load

Just do more repetitions, researchers say

By Robert Preidt

SUNDAY, May 13 (HealthDay News) -- Doing more repetitions with less weight builds muscle and increases strength just as effectively as training with heavy weights, a new Canadian study indicates.

The critical factor in muscle gain is pushing yourself to the point of fatigue, according to the researchers at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

They examined how different combinations of weight loads and repetitions affected the leg muscles of young men. The participants trained three times a week for 10 weeks doing one of three resistance training regimens: one set at 80 percent of maximum load; three sets at 80 percent of maximum load; or three sets at 30 percent of maximum load.

A set consisted of doing as many repetitions as possible with the assigned loads -- typically eight to 12 times a set at the heaviest weights and 25 to 30 times a set at the lowest weights.

"We found that loads that were quite heavy and comparatively light were equally effective at inducing muscle growth and promoting strength," Cam Mitchell, a lead study author and a Ph.D. candidate in McMaster's kinesiology department, said in a university news release.

The findings, recently published online in the Journal of Applied Physiology, challenge the widely held belief that using heavy weights is the best way to promote muscle growth and boost strength.

"Many older adults can have joint problems which would prevent them training with heavy loads," Mitchell noted. "This study shows that they have the option of training with lighter and less-intimidating loads and can still receive the benefits."

LOL 30 reps?? How long do you plan to spend in the gym, lady?

I've never belonged to a gym. When I do weights, I do them at home. 30 reps doesn't take that long.

Doesn't take that long compared to what, though? How varied are your workouts? What are your goals? What are your results?

Doesn't take longer than I'm willing to give.
    I don't actually lift much. I mostly do body weight exercises for strength. When I lift I use 10 lb dumbells and a 20 lb weighted vest. I do a variety of arm exercises (chest flies, curls, bench press, standing shoulder press, tricep skull crusher, whatever it's called when you lift the weight straight out in front of you with your arm straight) and lunges, squats and steps for legs.
    My goals are to not be flabby, but also not look "muscley".
    My results are that I'm not flabby but I have more muscle bulge than I'd like in my arms.

What's muscley? I'm sure I'm too 'muscley'. :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    True enough, but I can think of no case where I will need to lift something that is 300 pounds.

Odd that you say that. A few months ago I had to lift a 400lb motorcycle off my 5yr old son. The results have been well documented on my wall...I ripped my right biceps tendon off my forearm (technically bad form, not the weight...I had to stand offset and lifted the entire bike by the seat with my right arm). But thank God I train heavy...because otherwise, that running bike could very well have caught the leaking fuel on fire with my son trapped under it before I'd been able to find someone to help me lift it up.

*shrug*

I'm still reading replies...but this caught my eye and I felt it deserved an immediate response.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is always such a boilerplate topic. I think after putting in my two cents here, I'll just avoid these light vs. heavy weight threads. It's just everyone talking in circles. There are plenty of fit people in the world who do not lift heavy, so it's obviously not the only way to go about fitness. And not everyone shares the same fitness goals.

I just don't have the desire to be able to bench my body weight or dead lift twice my body weight. There's no real world application for it in my life, so I don't see the point. I'm able to pick up, move, and carry anything that I need to. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I would need to lift more than 100 pounds and I can't think of anything.

I'm not anti weights and I've toyed with the idea of heavy lifting in the past, but I've never thought of or seen a convincing enough reason to change what's working for me. I use moderate weights in my routine and I enjoy weights more than cardio. However, my purpose is to keep my muscles firm and to have nice muscle tone. I've always been able to achieve that with body weight exercises, not light/not heavy weight resistance routines, and sensible eating habits. I'm not looking to build muscle because I'm happy with what genetics has given me and I'm strong enough for my everyday life, so strength gains are not a priority. I'm just doing what it takes to maintain the muscle that I have.

If I ever have to lift super heavy to reach my personal goals, then I will. But for now I don't, so I'll stick to what I'm doing.
  • Dmacho78
    Dmacho78 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm sorry; I just don't buy this at all. Muscle hypertrophy comes from progressive overload. Lifting light weights until failure will only increase muscular endurance. To maximize myofibrillar hypertrophy, the ideal rep is range between 8-12 repetitions. That means that you use a weight that you can lift, with proper form, eight to twelve times. If muscle growth is your goal, using weights that you can lift more than that serves no purpose what so ever. Lifting light weights with high repetitions will result in sacroplasmic hypertrophy with is merely a build up of sacroplasmic fluid which isn't a accompanied with an increase in strength. Now, if you want to improve and/or maintain your health, doesn't it seem better to stick with a weight and rep range that increases muscle mass and strength ? Wouldn't that help you age more gracefully ?

I think the answer is clear.

I disagree with the bolded portions. I agree that low to mid rep range lifting is more efficient than high rep range lifting at facilitating muscle growth and raw strength gains, but certainly don't think it means high rep lifting is worthless.

Take two people who have never lifted heavy weights before. Have one start with light lifting at very high rep ranges and have the other do nothing. After a year, whose 1RM will be higher? A real world example of this would be in younger children who have never been to a gym before. On the one side you have a child who has done sports and such, and in training performed pushups and other bodyweight exercises for reps. On the other side you have a sedentary child with little to no resistance type training. I'd be willing to bet the one doing high rep range "useless" weight lifting will have the higher bench press numbers right off the bat.

Again this isn't discussing efficiency, but rather contending that high rep range lifting is NOT futile when it comes to muscle growth and strength gains.

Lifting anything any amount of times will result in gains in an untrained individual, but the gains won't be that significant a year later. High reps with light weight is essentially worthless, for muscle growth and strength gains, to an experienced weight trainer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I would need to lift more than 100 pounds and I can't think of anything.

I don't have to try to imagine the scenario. I've done it. Recently. I got a new tv stand and had to move my giant 36" old tube-style tv from one stand to the other. A google search estimates that sucker weighed about 185-200 pounds. Granted, I didn't *have* to move it myself. I could have waited until I had help. But I could move it myself, so I did.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I was taught that lifting heavy builds muscle...and lifting repetitiously builds muscle endurance.

these are two different things.

L
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The problem with this study is that it was performed on untrained individuals. This study shows that, in that population, the progressive nature of the load is more important than the intensity of the load (defined as % of 1rm), which is something that we already know.

You cannot necessarily apply this to the "trained" population, those with 6-12 months of lifiting under their belts. For those folks, working primarily in the range of 80-85% of 1rm has been shown time and again to be the most effective way to achieve mass & strength gains, both in research and in practical experience.

Lol true that!
    The untrained individual can bounce like a oompaloompa 5 mins a day and get a pump from it.
    Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is great for looks till you lose the will to eat right.
    Then you just deflate like an old mylar balloon.
    Pick that heavy **** up and quit cryin!

Size follows strength and most ppl lifting high rep low weights tend to not be very strong.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The problem with this study is that it was performed on untrained individuals. This study shows that, in that population, the progressive nature of the load is more important than the intensity of the load (defined as % of 1rm), which is something that we already know.

You cannot necessarily apply this to the "trained" population, those with 6-12 months of lifiting under their belts. For those folks, working primarily in the range of 80-85% of 1rm has been shown time and again to be the most effective way to achieve mass & strength gains, both in research and in practical experience.

Size follows strength and most ppl lifting high rep low weights tend to not be very strong.

That's actually not true regarding the size follows strength comment. Many bodybuilders lift with higher reps and they're not as strong as the same weight-class powerlifter but they display more muscle mass.

The whole piece of training maximally (heavy) is that it also engages the nervous system in a way that high-rep training won't. They are two very different things and the end result is not the same by any means. We can take two individuals of the same gender, same age, with relatively similar body types, height, weight, etc, they follow the same diet, have one do something like SL 5x5 or 5/3/1 and one do high reps (15+) on all exercises and their strength will not be equal after 12-weeks.

Somebody brought up a good point earlier in that no you won't be presented with a 300lb barbell to pickup while you're walking down the street but you may have to pick-up a 100lb TV who's weight isn't nicely distributed across a barbell, or an 80lb bag of fertilizer or water softener which again isn't nicely balanced either and which lifter do you think will be best able to move such things? Anybody flip a king-sized mattress recently? Not heavy but the awkwardness of the weight makes it challenging especially if the room is small and ceilings are low.

Obviously you have to do what's comfortable for you but you should think of exercise as an investment. If you were to invest money and were GUARANTEED some return would you invest in something with a 10%, 25%, 40%, 60%, or 90% rate of return?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

That's actually not true regarding the size follows strength comment. Many bodybuilders lift with higher reps and they're not as strong as the same weight-class powerlifter but they display more muscle mass.

The whole piece of training maximally (heavy) is that it also engages the nervous system in a way that high-rep training won't. They are two very different things and the end result is not the same by any means. We can take two individuals of the same gender, same age, with relatively similar body types, height, weight, etc, they follow the same diet, have one do something like SL 5x5 or 5/3/1 and one do high reps (15+) on all exercises and their strength will not be equal after 12-weeks.

Somebody brought up a good point earlier in that no you won't be presented with a 300lb barbell to pickup while you're walking down the street but you may have to pick-up a 100lb TV who's weight isn't nicely distributed across a barbell, or an 80lb bag of fertilizer or water softener which again isn't nicely balanced either and which lifter do you think will be best able to move such things? Anybody flip a king-sized mattress recently? Not heavy but the awkwardness of the weight makes it challenging especially if the room is small and ceilings are low.

Obviously you have to do what's comfortable for you but you should think of exercise as an investment. If you were to invest money and were GUARANTEED some return would you invest in something with a 10%, 25%, 40%, 60%, or 90% rate of return?

Youll have to admit that setting a good base for the hypertrophy would be smart.
    I could lift a bunch of light weights/high reps and get a good pump but if I want it to last i'll need to set a good base.
    So for now I lift heavy as possible, 5x5 or even 5/3/1 then once I hit my limit I could turn to a hypertrophy based lifting program and still progress up to my limit.
    Am I making sense?

For an aesthetic look you could go all hypertrophy but this is where fukarounditis comes in and most ppl end up spinning wheels for a longer time than if they started on a powerlifting program then moved on to hypertrophy later.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Youll have to admit that setting a good base for the hypertrophy would be smart.

True, having some mass does help. My point was just size isn't indicative of strength.
    So for now I lift heavy as possible, 5x5 or even 5/3/1 then once I hit my limit I could turn to a hypertrophy based lifting program and still progress up to my limit.

I don't know, I think you'd have trouble. Let's say your goal is to Deadlift 405lbs for a single and you start 5x5 with a 205lb 1RM. Then you take 5x5 all the way up to 315lbs, for example, I don't know that you could get the rest of the way there doing sets of 8 to 10 reps. It's entirely different muscle recruitment to move maximal level weight. I'm sure it's not impossible but it would be damn hard at the very least if not impossible for certain individuals. Some people are just gifted freaks of nature and I say that with much respect because I'm damn jealous of those folks. But the typical person would have trouble getting there I think.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The problem here for me is how they define strength-gains. For me strength gains are measured in one way, can I lift heavier *kitten* than I could previously lift. So unless they are really saying that I will get my 330lb deadlift by doing 30reps at 100lb, I'll stick to what I am doing.

But there is no intrinsic value in dead lifting 330 pounds that is greater than dead lifting 100 pounds or 200 pounds. The only strength gains that are really of value are those that increase my longevity and my health as I age. Anything else is just fleeting.

Perhaps not for you, but there is for me. I am competative, I want to get better and better, in turn that competative drive is what keeps me motivated and keeps me doing it and therefore is good for my health. Regardless my point was that I don't understand how they can claim that lifting light weights does the same for strength as the tried and true protocols for competative lifters. I'm not saying anything about, health, longevity, definition, aesthetics etc.

I kinda find it funny that so often on these threads people seem to take offence at any comments which suggests that non-strength specific training is not about strength. Like I have said previously, its not a judgement, just like acknowledging that swimming is not running... its not a judgment on running...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was taught that lifting heavy builds muscle...and lifting repetitiously builds muscle endurance.

these are two different things.

L

Both will increase muscle to a point. If you can only do 5 reps today with a 10 lb weight, working up to 25 reps is going to build some muscle. However, you are correct that if you never increase the weight you will at some point only be maintaining muscle. But that's what some are looking to do.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Lifting anything any amount of times will result in gains in an untrained individual, but the gains won't be that significant a year later. High reps with light weight is essentially worthless, for muscle growth and strength gains, to an experienced weight trainer.

And I would argue that even with an experienced lifter, if you gave the same person a routine where the lifted say 60% of their RM for 20 as opposed to the exact same person lifting 60% of their RM for 5, the routine with greater volume would, barring injury, produce the greater strength and mass increases. There are a lot of folks who have great success with volume training. There are arguably more efficient routes out there, but I can't agree that it's worthless.
  • krocksa
    krocksa Posts: 32
    Options
    This does not have to be complicated. Any strength training is a positive activity to stay healthy and fit. People do what works for them. And I certainly won't judge people for not choosing the same path as I. I've used both methods, lighter weights when I first started. And sometimes I train that way for a period of time just to mix it up or when my back injuries flare up. But not often.

Personally, I like to lift heavy. DAMN heavy. Because I CAN. I like the challenge and it motivates me to constantly improve. I like how powerful I feel. A rush of endorphins. THAT is why I lift heavy. I don't give a crap if lifting lighter with more reps will give the same physical results or not. Lighter lifting no matter how many reps just doesn't give me the same feeling of power and accomplishment.

THAT is why I lift heavy. :happy:
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The first thing I notice is the study was done on "young men".

Young men with lots of testosterone will build muscle with almost anything.

This seemed to be true with me. I read article after article saying lift heavy and burn fat. Trainers told me the same thing So, I was getting very intense with heavy compound exercises; deadlifts, squats, bench press, pullups, etc. and got stronger and stronger but reached a fat burning plateau that didn't budge. So, I flipped the 80/20 rule around and did 80% cardio and 20% weight training and then my fat started stripping off; everything else being equal. We are all different but this seemed to be the case for me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

True, having some mass does help. My point was just size isn't indicative of strength.

I don't know, I think you'd have trouble. Let's say your goal is to Deadlift 405lbs for a single and you start 5x5 with a 205lb 1RM. Then you take 5x5 all the way up to 315lbs, for example, I don't know that you could get the rest of the way there doing sets of 8 to 10 reps. It's entirely different muscle recruitment to move maximal level weight. I'm sure it's not impossible but it would be damn hard at the very least if not impossible for certain individuals. Some people are just gifted freaks of nature and I say that with much respect because I'm damn jealous of those folks. But the typical person would have trouble getting there I think.

I'm about as hardgaining as any scrawny guy.
    But...
    I do love popping out 5x5 280lb squats!
  • JNick77
    Options

And I would argue that even with an experienced lifter, if you gave the same person a routine where the lifted say 60% of their RM for 20 as opposed to the exact same person lifting 60% of their RM for 5, the routine with greater volume would, barring injury, produce the greater strength and mass increases. There are a lot of folks who have great success with volume training. There are arguably more efficient routes out there, but I can't agree that it's worthless.

I don't know man, I just finished reading a 300 page book on Conjugate Training, it touches on the research that goes behind the method as well, discusses the short comings of progress overload, and I really find it hard to believe that an experienced lifter would experience any gains in absolute strength by doing high-volume lifting. The rookie lifter would have some gains but there is a point of diminishing returns. There's just no way that somebody is going to rock-out sets of bench presses at 20 - 30 pounds with 100lbs and then turn around and crank out a 315lb bench press. That person's muscle fibers and nervous system would not be trained to handle such a stimulus.
    This seemed to be true with me. I read article after article saying lift heavy and burn fat.

Unfortunately there's a lot of fallacy where that's concerned and why most trainers are near useless. If you read anything by Jim Wendler, Mark Rippletoe, Louie Simmons who are all very prominent strength coaches they are also strong advocates of conditioning.
    I do love popping out 5x5 280lb squats!

Hell yeahz!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in doing 25-30 reps when I could just do 5 and get good results.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't know man, I just finished reading a 300 page book on Conjugate Training, it touches on the research that goes behind the method as well, discusses the short comings of progress overload, and I really find it hard to believe that an experienced lifter would experience any gains in absolute strength by doing high-volume lifting. The rookie lifter would have some gains but there is a point of diminishing returns. There's just no way that somebody is going to rock-out sets of bench presses at 20 - 30 pounds with 100lbs and then turn around and crank out a 315lb bench press. That person's muscle fibers and nervous system would not be trained to handle such a stimulus.

I think this will have to be an agree to disagree sort of thing, I do agree with you in that heavier lifting is more effective at promoting strength and mass gains. What book are you talking about? I'm always interested in reading more up on this stuff.

Your reference to the capabilities of muscle fibers and your CNS is a valid one, but I can't help but think that there's something to say a Poundstone style of lifting for arms beyond just sarcoplasmic fluid buildup or pain tolerance.

To be clear though, with 100 lbs for 20 or 30 I don't think a 315 bench is possible. 185 though? I think that's quite a bit more feasible. Someone doing 100 lbs for 5 reps and stopping is going to have a MUCH harder time putting up the plate and a quarter. I definitely would concede that there's diminishing returns with volume particularly when you consider risk of injury, but I don't think it's near as drastic as you're saying.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    What?

I have never known or seen anyone who ever built muscle lifting light.

On the other hand, my husband (a bodybuilder) and his friends, lift heavy and specifically. It's quite obvious they know what they're doing. As well as dozens of my MFP friends.

You can find a "study" to back up nearly any opinion. It's not scientific and certainly not proof. I believe hard science and my own 2 eyes.