Wore my HRM all day to day just to see, and...

kari574
kari574 Posts: 99 Member
It says I burned 2521 calories today, from 7am to 9pm. Wondering how close anyone thinks that is. I'm 5'-3", 114 pounds. I have a desk job so I was sitting much of the day. I lifted weights for an hour. I walked for about 25 minutes, moderate pace. Walked another 45 minutes slow pace. And that's about it. Also wore it overnight last night and it says I burned 561 calories.

If I really burn that much, I'm definitely not eating enough. I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to build muscle. I haven't been counting calories because I'm following Jamie Eason's livefit trainer and that's not part of the program right now, but I would say I don't eat more than 1600 calories per day.

Thoughts?

Replies

• thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    HRM's aren't really accurate for all day recording. Their accuracy for calorie burn is based on an equation using your heart rate and age and weight and if you aren't doing a cardio type activity that has your heart rate in the zone on your watch then it will be inaccurate. That is why people buy those fitbits and body bugs because they record all of the movement that you make in a day. HRM's aren't really great for strength training either unless you are doing something to get your heart rate up during it.
  • kari574
    So that 2500 calories is nowhere near accurate, you think? I wore my fitbit all day too actually, but I'm not sure what that tells me. It said 1600 calories, but is that accurate?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    the fitbit saying 1600 calories sounds about right, honestly. I am an inch shorter and almost 100lbs heavier, and yesterday my fitbit said 2785 calories/ 10100 steps/4.5 miles The HRM is going to take into account any HR changes due to your weight lifting, etc
  • kari574
    So a combo of the two may be ideal?