Inches and Weight

Options
Looking for some insight on the loss of inches but the scale isn't moving.

I have about 30 pounds to loose to get out of the overweight category. I have been trying to loose weight since Feb without much luck. After a month of the scale not moving I decided to measure myself with the tape measure. In a month's time I lost a total of 7.5 inches all over which is wonderful. My clothes fit much better, but I am wondering if / when the scale will begin it's journey down to a healthy weight.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump - I've been curious as well
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    If you are losing inches then why care what the scale says? I think it is great that you are measuring!!! I wish everyone would do this and not be a slave to the scale that does not tell the whole story. You are gaining muscle while you are losing fat. Your body is holding onto more water to help those muscles repair. The loss of inches means you are losing fat. That is fantastic.

I have lost 8 inches off of my waist. During that time I went two months with the scale not moving but I was losing a 1/2 inch to an 1 inch a week. Measuring is a much better motivator than the scale. I am wearing pants I could not fit into a year ago. That is what matters. :drinker:
  • MicheleTh
    MicheleTh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches then why care what the scale says? I think it is great that you are measuring!!! I wish everyone would do this and not be a slave to the scale that does not tell the whole story. You are gaining muscle while you are losing fat. Your body is holding onto more water to help those muscles repair. The loss of inches means you are losing fat. That is fantastic.

Is there a point at which the pounds come off also?
  • tryinghard71
    Options

Is there a point at which the pounds come off also?

Oh ya. I have lost almost 19 so far. But the measurements went faster than the weight on the scale.
  • rednavel
    rednavel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump - same deal here.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I have lost 8 inches off of my waist. During that time I went two months with the scale not moving but I was losing a 1/2 inch to an 1 inch a week. Measuring is a much better motivator than the scale. I am wearing pants I could not fit into a year ago. That is what matters. :drinker:
    [/quote]
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yes you are losing inches, however it seems like you are building muscle mass while you are burning fat therefore the needle on the scale has not changed.
  • MicheleTh
    MicheleTh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks for the response. That is helpful.
  • smbrooks404
    smbrooks404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The story of my life! I always tend to lose inches before and more than actual "weight" (from the scale). I go by how my clothes fit usually. In the last week the scale showed that I gained 2 lbs but my pants are WAY looser than they were even just last month. And, I keep getting the compliments like "you look skinny" (I wouldn't go THAT far! lol, but you know how people are?! :tongue: ).

But seriously, if people notice and my clothes are looser, not sure what else I need the scale to tell me???
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Yes you are losing inches, however it seems like you are building muscle mass while you are burning fat therefore the needle on the scale has not changed.

^^this^^

try to take into account the types of workouts you do. i am personally doing p90x. i started 4 weeks ago and while no i haven't lost ANY weight, i have already started losing inches. i'd rather be the 185lbs that i am and have more muscle than be thinner and have very little muscle. my goal is to hit 160lbs. i've plateaued and have been between 185-188 for a few months now. i know eventually it will come off. i just have to keep working at it. :)