3500 calories = 1 pound

Options
Okay, silly question here, but folks say that it takes 3,500 extra calories to equal one pound weight gain (true weight gain, not just water) but is that 3,500 calories over what I've budgeted (so 1300 for me with a deficit of 400 or so) or 3,500 calories over what I would normally eat if not at a deficit?

Seems like there would be some variation due to the deficit because calorie budgets increase when folks go into maintenance.

Just curious.
Thanks.

Replies

• jmacht14
    Options
    My understanding is that 3500 calories is 1 pound. So, if you eat 3,500 in a day, you'll gain 1 pound. Also, you have to burn 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound. I don't think it is 3,500 over your "budgeted" amounts. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it.

298615.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's 3500 including your deficit. Say, if you were to cut 500 calories from what you'd normally take in/exercise off every day, it would take 7 days to lose 1 lb. (7 x 3500= 1 lb).

Hope this helps!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    3500 over what you would eat to maintain would theoretically equal a pound gained.

Since your deficit is set at 3500 per week to lose a pound a week, if you ate over your deficited (I'm not sure that's a word) calories by 3500 a week, that would equal maintaining, not gaining.

HTH.:flowerforyou:

In other words, if your maintenance calories were 2000 daily, and you ate 2500 for a week, you would gain a pound in that week.

If you're reducing, and eating 1500 a day, and ate 500 extra (3500 in seven days) for a week, you'd be eating 2000 a day, your maintenance calories.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    How do you find out what your maintenance calories are??? Maybe a dumb question... but I'm confused...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is not the same as your maintenance calories, though. Your BMR only accounts for calories to keep you alive while at rest--making energy for your organs to function. Your maintenance calorires are your BMR + Activity Calories. For instance, my BMR is about 1300 as tested in a lab, but since I walk around a lot during the day, my daily energy expenditure without exercise is about 1600. Then when I go for a run I burn about 500 more, so my total output is 2100. That would be my maintenance level...800 calories more than my BMR. If I were to eat 2600 calories a day, (500 extra), I would gain 1 lb in a week, but not all of it would be fat since I perform resistance training.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    How do you find out what your maintenance calories are??? Maybe a dumb question... but I'm confused...

Go to the goals and change the setting to "maintain my current weight". The number there is your maintenance calories.

Just don't forget to set it back to your current goal.:wink:

And yes, very importantly, your BMR is NOT your maintenance calories.:flowerforyou:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info folks- that does answer my question.
    Thanks!
    :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance calorie amount is basically your MFP calorie goal + whatever your deficit is. Right now, to maintain my weight, I would have to eat 2430 calories/ day. 1430 + my 1000 calorie deficit. If I eat anything under 2430, I'm still in the weight loss zone. If I eat anything over 2430, I move into the weight gain zone.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I was looking for but just for some reason couldn't figure it out!!