Experiences that put you off Hospitals even more!

Options
I’m one of them people who HATE hospitals. Not sure what they are like America but in the UK they are poor and very understaffed and problematic!

I suffer from PCOS and had to see a gynaecologist this morning for hip pains.
The Doctor who saw me was African and this caused a language barrier as he barely spoke English and when he did speak he spoke to the piece of paper he wrote on and was mumbling so I found it extremely difficult to answer any questions he asked and felt rude I had to say “pardon” all the time.

This is one of the reasons I get put off the NHS. We live in a country where we have people who are trained professionals who can’t actually speak English. Which is worrying as he could wrongly diagnose me and I wouldn’t know any different?

Anyways the actual experience that has put me off Hospitals all together was when he turned to me and said I was obese on the BMI (5”6ish and 89.8KG on their scale) and I should go to my GP and get appetite suppressors to help me as with my PCOS I won’t lose the weight easily at all. I asked him the simple question of “If I take them, lose the weight then stop taking them, would I gain weight again?” and he wouldn’t answer me… I think I got him in a pickle with the answer and just said to him “I’m not going to take something that isn’t going to help me at all in the long run.”

I may have PCOS and be overweight but I don’t think I need appetite suppressors to help. I told my mum and she went mad as it’s not right for him to say that and not even recommend diet and exercise, he just assumed that I ate too much and need suppressors. I told him I didn’t need them and I’m slowly losing my weight and trying to keep it off the natural/old fashioned way.

It really is frustrating sometimes when people assume you aren’t trying to lose weight and you WANT to be fat… I don’t want that at all!

Has anyone else had an off putting Hospital experience?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I live in the US but I've lived in the UK as well.

What are are describing isn't a NHS problem or a hospital problem.....it's a doctor problem and it's everywhere. We have private health care here, as you know, and I've had similar run ins with doctors. They just generally have big egos and think they have the answer to everything. And that their way is the right way. And that they can diagnose you by knowing you for 5 minutes. *shrug*

It's a bigger problem that has to do with how Western cultures treat doctors, really. I sympathize....it's why I generally avoid doctors all together.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    put in a complaint.

if nobody complains then there's no chance the problem will be fixed, and people hate to complain.
    it's not that hard to look a person in the eye and speak slowly and clearly, and the meds suggestion was daft.
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    Every time I come into contact with the NHS in any way, shape or form it is a bad experience!

There is now supposed to be a requirement whereby the staff have to be able to speak a certain level of English....I haven't noticed any changes though!

Under the hospital at the minute with my back - 3 months of doctors visits before they considered referral to the hospital,2 months wait for an appointment (they cancelled twice without my knowledge). Was surprised to get to see an English speaking doctor, so they do exist in very small numbers! The referral for the MRI took 4 weeks, waiting for the results, 4 weeks and counting! Prescribed with 3 weeks of pain blockers......5 weeks without pain relief and counting!!!

Called to complain yesterday to be told by the lady who answered the phone that if I didn't like the service I could go and pay privately and save everyone a lot of time and money!

Puts you off going near any hospitals or doctors and makes you wonder why you bother!
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    calling the underlings to complain won't even go on the record.
    you need to put it in writing, so that it's on the record and added to their statistics.

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/complaints/Pages/NHScomplaints.aspx
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options

Called to complain yesterday to be told by the lady who answered the phone that if I didn't like the service I could go and pay privately and save everyone a lot of time and money!

She seriously said that to you? Now that is just rude!!

i'm going to wait for my Physio appointment to see if he has diagnosed my hip correctly. If not I will complain as I have his name on a letter and all my appointment letters etc.

It's very frustrating that doctors are getting worse by the day and it's why people put off getting help for illness for so long cause they are useless!!!
  • eatthepudding
    Options
    What are are describing isn't a NHS problem or a hospital problem.....it's a doctor problem and it's everywhere.
    [/quote]

Agree.

Just to give another perspective, I live in the UK and, excluding my very first dentist (who went on to have some kind of breakdown and lost his job), have had nothing but great experiences with the NHS. In fact I had to have a pretty upsetting procedure done within the last month and the nurses were outstanding.
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I get so so frustrated with stuff like this because 'the ****ing NHS' tars us all with the same brush when it's only a few that are causing the problems. The language thing is awful and some of the ethics that doctors have are ridiculous in some situations but it isn't all of us. Some of the weight things doctor suggest are totally stupid. I got told once that I was bleeding almost endlessly because I had lost weight and it's horribly frustrating and you just want to shake them. I hope you got at least some help today.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    honestly, i dread my old people going into hospital.
    we work so hard to keep them fed & clean & healthy!
    but sometimes they need to be taken in...
    often they don't come out (even from fairly minor illness), or come out looking starved and covered in friction burns, nappy rash and bed sores, usually they are depressed and cowed. there is a marked difference in the outcomes for grumpy old buggers and happy chatters, with the former's neglect being far worse, which IMO proves that often it's a case of ''can't be bothered'' when it comes to basic care.

not enough money, too much red tape, resentful staff.
    our nhs is f*cked.