Excess skin!!!

Options
I'm soo nervous to start loosing all this weight, then have the very unwanted excess skin! Is there ways to avoid that? Help keep it tight? Any ideas or tips would be awesome.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm soo nervous to start loosing all this weight, then have the very unwanted excess skin! Is there ways to avoid that? Help keep it tight? Any ideas or tips would be awesome.

I am very nervous too. I am a lot older than you, so your chances may be better. You still have bounce in your skin that I am losing. However, there are a lot of posts on here stating, "you can't lose the excess skin - nothing will help except surgery". In reading them all, I have found that there are some people who DO lose the excess skin. Their advice is to lose slowly and exercise (including weights). I have lost 36 pounds in about 4 months and my tummy is shrinking. I hope I"m one of the lucky ones. I hope you are, too!
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i'm scared of loose skin as well... but i'm more scared of continuing to live inside all of this fat, which to be honest, isn't really living at all.

SO, losing weight and getting healthy are on the "to-do" list, and if in the end there's some loose skin, there's always lypo and tummy tucks! :tongue:

in all seriousness, concentrate more on losing the weight, but yeah, lift weights or anything else that might tighten things up at the same time! :happy:
  • gemaudlin
    gemaudlin Posts: 81
    Options
    I just bought some skin tightening lotion. It is from Jergens. It's called "skin firming dailing toning moisturizer plus caffeine". It has these little blue beads in it. Supposed to help firm the skin. I also have been using the Palmer's coca butter stretch mark cream as well as the oil. Still jiggly... but not saggy or loose! :bigsmile: lol My stretch marks have definitely gotten less noticeable as well. Strength training is key. You have to go slow in losing weight and remember to work out those muscles!
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You look really young in your pic, As long as you exercise while you are losing and do plenty of strength traing, you should be fine. I was on bed rest for 5 months with my first child and weighed 200 lbs. I was back in a bikini by the following Summer. I was 28. I didn't get so lucky with my next child at 31. Do it now!!
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Can I just say me too. As one of the ladies stated you are much younger so chances are you might not. My belly is sagging already and I am only down 14 pounds. So I will be finding ways to reduce that. If not I already told hubby I will be getting a tummy tuck. don't want surgery but if needed I will. Not having all this hard work done and then a constant reminder hanging around parden the hang:smile:
  • vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The best way possible to avoid excess skin is to take this journey slow. The faster the weight comes off the harder it will be for your skin to bounce back. 1 to 2 lbs a week is sufficent. You want to be mixing cardio and strength training together so as your body is shrinking you have that muscle to help follow up behind the skin. Also a product to help tighten skin and help stretch marks, etc. is EC Research. A little pricey but I used it along with the thermal gel and it worked wonders and I can't even see any stretch marks from where I've lost weight. They also have other firming lotions as well. Good luck on your journey and remember slow and steady wins the race!! =D
  • flutternfly
    flutternfly Posts: 123
    Options
    The best way possible to avoid excess skin is to take this journey slow. The faster the weight comes off the harder it will be for your skin to bounce back. 1 to 2 lbs a week is sufficent. You want to be mixing cardio and strength training together so as your body is shrinking you have that muscle to help follow up behind the skin. Also a product to help tighten skin and help stretch marks, etc. is EC Research. A little pricey but I used it along with the thermal gel and it worked wonders and I can't even see any stretch marks from where I've lost weight. They also have other firming lotions as well. Good luck on your journey and remember slow and steady wins the race!! =D

Thanks fo tip! I've lost 51 lbs in 4 months so I'm thinking about this too. As long as I'm doing workouts and weights, it seems better. Fingers crossed, but the weight has got to go!
  • mandiibayybee
    Options
    I am 22 years old. I'm hoping my skin keeps its bounce. Im hoping to loose around 2lbs a week.I have about 100 to loose. I'm taking it slow. I just know there isn't a way for me to afford tummy tucks and that kind of thing. So I just want to be careful.I'm definitely in agreement with, slow and steady wins the race!
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You skin should still be like a rubber band. It will snap right back as long as you are smart about it. Healthy fats and fish oil supplements will help, too. Good luck on your jouney!
  • vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You will be fine :) Still very young and have time to reverse without damage.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I was worried about this too. From experience, I can tell you that surgery doesn't have to be an option. Bulk while you lose, so that muscle can replace fat. I've lost nearly 70 pounds and don't have an ounce of excess skin.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I agree. While any major (over 100 pound) weight loss will undoubtedly result in excess skin, taking it slow is the best way to combat it. There are other dangers with rapid weight loss such as gallstones.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    1) Drink tons of water
    2) Increase your strength training. If using weights, lift HEAVY.

These things have helped me to avoid loose skin. That, and the fact that I took a year to lose 60 pounds. I only have loose skin on my tummy and breasts, but that is due to having nursed two children.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You skin should still be like a rubber band. It will snap right back as long as you are smart about it. Healthy fats and fish oil supplements will help, too. Good luck on your jouney!

Not quite true, depends how long you've been large. If I hadn't had done a lot of training I'd have had a lot of it, now I've just got a bit on my stomach which I'm trying strength training on (lifting HEAVY!)

Can't say enough, lots of cardio and strength training and you won't have a problem, especially the weights!
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have excess skin...I am older and have been big for the last 13 years. I am also struggling to quit smoking which is really detrimental to skin health..ugh

I drink lots of water, strength training with weights, take fish oils and moisturize. It is getting better but I think I will have to wait the recommended 1 - 2 years to see how much the skin recovers. I would rather have the excess skin then the fat...so good luck to everyone and happy losing!

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight when I was 17. I have excess skin, and the skin on my arms and thighs will probably never be the same, but a lot of it also has to do with stretch marks. I agree with many others on here. Less fat is better...skin or no skin. Weight Training help A LOT. Good luck!
  • jenseeley2012
    Options
    I am a mother of three and I've lost more than 50% of my body weight I started at 239lbs and am now 119lbs I have some loose skin and it's normal but I've been working out 5 days a week doing toning exercises and using a anti aging shower gel, followed by a firming lotion and I have to say I've seen a huge difference in my skin. It takes time for your skin to adjust to your new body and if you wait it out you will get almost perfect skin again, I guess what I think is I would rather be healthy and skinny with a little loose skin then unhealthy and fat like I was with no loose skin.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well,

I am 24 and I have loose skin. To the point where I need surgery.

I lost 50lb over 18 months so nice and slowly, had at least a litre of water every day etc.

I have loose skin on my arms that is so gross that I never leave the house in short sleeves, nothing above the elbow. You would think I had lost 200lb in 3 months judging by the state of it!

I have spoken to a personal trainer and they have confirmed that although weights will improve it slightly, it will not get rid of it (it hangs for about 3-4 inches under my arm). A plastic surgeon has said that my skin was stretched so much while I was big that it has lost it's elasticity and surgery is the only option.

I don't expect everyone to have this problem, or scaremonger etc - it's just my personal experience. Some people are really lucky and it springs back, I'm just not one of those people.

EDIT: BTW :wink: that's not an excuse to not do weights etc, I have 50lb to go until I get to goal and I plan to start lifting next week (have my induction with a trainer booked), if there is anything I can do myself to make them look better then I will but if I still have a huge issue with them when I reach goal I will look at surgery.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Well,

I am 24 and I have loose skin. To the point where I need surgery.

I lost 50lb over 18 months so nice and slowly, had at least a litre of water every day etc.

I have loose skin on my arms that is so gross that I never leave the house in short sleeves, nothing above the elbow. You would think I had lost 200lb in 3 months judging by the state of it!

I have spoken to a personal trainer and they have confirmed that although weights will improve it slightly, it will not get rid of it (it hangs for about 3-4 inches under my arm). A plastic surgeon has said that my skin was stretched so much while I was big that it has lost it's elasticity and surgery is the only option.

I don't expect everyone to have this problem, or scaremonger etc - it's just my personal experience. Some people are really lucky and it springs back, I'm just not one of those people.

Same age, I think it's about just how big you were and how long you were that big, it's not just age (more likely you've been fatter for less time though)

I was 21 stone I've still got skin and I have a bit on my underarms like you say when I put my arms out wide, it is a LOT better from strength training though, I've been getting a bit of a bicep off cycling and it's noticeably different, to the point where I flexed the other day to someone at work and I had to literally point it out and drag it out so she could see it was skin.

EDIT: After seeing your edit, your attitude is fantastic, I wish everyone was like you :)
  • winteryrose1984
    winteryrose1984 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My "down" days usually revolve around this matter in my head. The evil voice inside of me keeps telling me that being on this healthy weight loss journey is NOT worth it because I might end up looking even uglier than when I started out with all that saggy loose skin. I really hope that it's not true. I mean a LITTLE loose skin is fine. I'm not afraid of that. I'm terrified of like the layers and layers of loose skin that I've seen on people who have lost 100+ pounds. I try not to think about it and since I have only begun, I'm going to definitely up my weight training. Though I'm not sure how to go about that. If anyone has any suggestions please message me. Thanks! Good luck to you all <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!