I'm new

Options
I started my diet a week ago but I just joined the site yesterday. My name is Amanda I am 32 a mother of three boys. I would like to lose 70 or 80 pounds.I walk twice a day for 30 min each.If you have any tips oh how to use the site or on dieting please share.I love new recipes too.I hope there is a place for that.I'm so excite to meet new people doing the same thing I am.

Replies

• shezlar1
    shezlar1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome Welcome, Im new too so hopefully we can encourage each other through the next few months. Everything i have seen about MFP so far is fab - i actually dont feel im on a diet just watching what goes in and what goes out. - GOOD LUCK Sherry xxx
  • KMA1973
    KMA1973 Posts: 10
    Options
    Good luck with it all Amanda. I have only just started too. While I am a bit green for giving advice, I always love offering encouragement. I can offer you some thoughts to change your thinking. Don't call it a diet. Call it a lifestyle change - a journey that is forever. You're not just changing what you eat for now, tell yourself this is the "NEW ME". You can have your cake and eat it, just in moderation. Make exercise fun and you should be able to stay on track pretty well. Don't beat yourself up if you stuff up. Just pick yourself back up and keep moving forward. Set mini goals. Don't think about how much weight you have to lose. Focus on losing 5 kilos and reward yourself when you achieve this. Then move the goal post to lose another 5kg. I find this helps me keep my motivation up and the light at the end of the tunnel is not a long way off, but right there in front of me.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it all Amanda. I have only just started too. While I am a bit green for giving advice, I always love offering encouragement. I can offer you some thoughts to change your thinking. Don't call it a diet. Call it a lifestyle change - a journey that is forever. You're not just changing what you eat for now, tell yourself this is the "NEW ME". You can have your cake and eat it, just in moderation. Make exercise fun and you should be able to stay on track pretty well. Don't beat yourself up if you stuff up. Just pick yourself back up and keep moving forward. Set mini goals. Don't think about how much weight you have to lose. Focus on losing 5 kilos and reward yourself when you achieve this. Then move the goal post to lose another 5kg. I find this helps me keep my motivation up and the light at the end of the tunnel is not a long way off, but right there in front of me.
    ^^This!
  • nikirayven
    nikirayven Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome!! feel free to add me if you need motivation and encouragment :)
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :-) I love new recipes and sharing support! Good luck on your journey
  • yougojo170
    yougojo170 Posts: 62
    Options
    This is a great site. you will enjoy it. Lots of good recipes and lots of good support. Welcome. I'd be glad to be your friend.
  • Zumbagirl34
    Zumbagirl34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi newbie,

My tips are:

Watch HIDDEN sugars in food like Yogurt - try Greek yogurt, tastes good and way less sugars.
    Post on the site as often as possible, this helps keep u on track and others.
    Exercise a regular, find what exercise works for YOUR body.
    Request friends on this site, it helps to read other comment and look at their food diary.
    Post bad days and good days. encourage others as they will encourage you.

Hope this helps. I lost over 100 pounds been on this site almost 2 yrs.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Excellent start. Walking twice a day is how I started. Activity is the key. Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't use the word diet - too many negative emotions in that work. I found with a few tweeks to what I was consuming, and plenty of exercise I can eat a ton of food and am rarely hungry. Don't deprive yourself!
  • jessrbt
    jessrbt Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, I'm new too. I got the info for this site from the ladies I work with after complaining about the weight I need to lose. I have a goal, which has been delayed by a knee injury for the last year. I want my black belt in Tae Kwon Do and after taking the last year off to heal I have gained way too much weight and have gotten lazy. My whole mind set and self confidence are kinda low right now, I used to pop out push ups and jump kicks no prob, but weigt, age, and time seems to have gotten away from me. I am looking to lose at least forty pounds by the end of the year. I probably won't test for my bb until this time next year, my instructor is also dealing with knee injury and has encouraged me to take this slow. I worked so hard for my brown belt and I just cant stop being this close to black. What i need most is motivation and encouragment. I'm not a social site person, I dont even have a fb page but after reading the other comments on this site from people in the same situation as me I"m willling to give it a try. I'm also good at listening and encouraging others and hope I will be as much help to everyone as you will be for me. The best part of this site for me is the food diary, I can see exactly what I have every day and I can plan my meals in advance. It gives me a better idea of what I am taking in and how my body can use the calories. I also liked the comment about setting small goals, I'm going to start using that way of thinking and maybe reaching my goal and losing the weight won't seem so overwhelming. Thanks!