Which is cheaper for fresh fruits & vegs..

Options
I wanna stock up on some fresh, yummy, fruits & veggies.but I wanna get my moneys worth on a budget. Do you feel you get more deals at farmers markets in your area or stores?

Replies

• Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    If you're inclined towards cheap then I think the best option is to shop frequently at grocery stores and to buy things off of the about-to-go-bad rack.

I find stuff at my local farmers market to be more expensive, sometimes prohibitively so, but there can be other benefits to paying more (like supporting local industry).
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Okay..just a question, dude.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The grocery store may be a little more expensive but I prefer the local markets and stands. They can tell you a lot more about what you are buying (when it was picked, is this from their farm, etc.)
    In my area several of the local produce stands have co-ops. You pay a certain amount up front and get weekly produce from them.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    farmers market for sure! i got a ton last night for $17
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Our farmers market here is way more expensive than the stores, but the stores are horribly overpriced too haha.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I go to a local fresh market and they are cheaper than grocery stores and the quality is better.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I go to farmers markets when I can. It can be a bit spency. Often times I grab my fruits and veggies from Giant. And the organics there are totally spency. Either way, healthy eating does cost, but look what ya get in the long run :flowerforyou:
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Our farmers market here is way more expensive than the stores, but the stores are horribly overpriced too haha.

same here!
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It really all depends - I've found good deals at both.

At the farmers market, or even better yet, a fruit/veggie stand right at someones farm..you can usually ask if they have anything thats not quite its best quality (like apples that fell from the tree, rather than were picked off) and can get them a bit cheaper. I've done that for making/canning applesauce in the fall and got them at half price.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    The politically correct thing to say ALWAYS is Farmers Market, but the truth is it depends when it comes to quality but never price.
    I get much better quality and value at Walmart superstore, but the food Nazi would argue against that.

I am not out to make any social statements - just give me the best deal for my money.
    Walmart!:drinker:
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I find that if I shop the sales and the manager's specials, I can get better prices at the supermarket for most things.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Okay..just a question, dude.

I don't think her response was rude..... :huh:
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I love farmer's market produce, but here it's more expensive. :cry: I usually shop the sales at my local grocery store. :happy:
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    My boyfriend works in the produce dpt. So we get LOTS of mark-downs. The store he works at, takes care of the 'rich, snooty' people.. so perfectly good fruits and veggies that may have a spot, get marked down! =) So I get not so pretty, but SO yummy fresh produce CHEAP. I also LOVE going to farmers markets! You can really stock up if you know how to freeze your own veggies =) Fresh is cheaper..
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    At the Farmer's Market here I bought

1 bunch asparagus (big and thick)
    1.3lbs Rainer Cherries
    1 Lemon Drop Melon
    3 Mangoes
    1lb Green Chillies
    1lb Okra
    2 Sweet Potatoes
    2 Taro Root
    4 tomatoes
    3 onions
    3 Cucumbers
    1 Bunch Coriander
    1lb Baby Spinach
    1/2lb blueberries
    1 bag Bok Choy
    4 bananas

Total Price........... $17.92
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Our farmers market is a lot cheaper...but the gas to get there doesn't make it worth it unless I need a TON of stuff.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what's in season- check out what's in season in your area, and it should be the best value at the farmer's market.
    beThe best bet for eating fresh veggies and fruits on a budget is to buy frozen- they are often flash frozen straight after picking, so have even more nurtients than what you can get at the shops. BEst way to prepare frozen veggies is to steam and eat soon after steaming. As for frozen fruits- I love them still frozen!
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of veggies and fruit you are looking for.

If you buy seasonal, it doesn't have to be shipped in, so it costs less. I don't know where you live, but for me in Vancouver, I use this guide.

http://localfoods.about.com/od/searchbyregion/a/PacNWFruitsVegs.htm

Right now, it's strawberry season and there is so much lettuce, I get them both really inexpensive at the farmers market. If you are buying out of season you will be paying more.
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wanna stock up on some fresh, yummy, fruits & veggies.but I wanna get my moneys worth on a budget. Do you feel you get more deals at farmers markets in your area or stores?

Frozen is actually the best value and also the best nutritionally (flash-freezing maintains nutrients they lose on the shelf). And they won't go bad before you can use them.

But for fresh, at least here, farmer's market all the way. One example is at Walmart (cheapest store) a zucchini that is the size of most zucchinis in most grocery stores was .72 on Saturday. I bought a zucchini three times the size for a quarter at a farmer's market a few weeks ago.