Long Distance Run Recovery time

Options
Hi Runners , I would just like some input on How many days you take off after a long run? I just completed my first 15 mile run this saturday and was wondering if today was too soon to go back. Legs and energy feels good but I'm always concerned about injury.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There is no right answer for this. It depends on your level of fitness. I've run twice on days when I've done a long run in that range and almost always run the next day. I've been running a lot of miles for quite a while though. How frequently do you run and what was the longest run for you prior to the 15 miler? How many days off did you take after that run? If you do choose to run, just run at a recovery pace (slower than your easy run pace). If something starts to hurt, stop. Not just regular muscle fatigue pain, but something that just doesn't feel right. Listen to your body.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    1 day. There's not usually much call for extended rest periods except sometimes after a distance race. But, as always listen to your body. Most runners injuries associated with overuse can be felt before they become a problem. You also don't necessarily "need" to take a rest day, but it's definitely helpful. Beginners often take more than one.

Just from experience, if you suspect an injury coming on, take the proper steps to mitigate it. Certain things can be avoided by reducing load or taking extended rest periods right as you feel them coming on, but if you allow it to progress it's possible you can be out of action for months at a time.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    There is no right answer for this. It depends on your level of fitness. I've run twice on days when I've done a long run in that range and almost always run the next day. I've been running a lot of miles for quite a while though. How frequently do you run and what was the longest run for you prior to the 15 miler? How many days off did you take after that run? If you do choose to run, just run at a recovery pace (slower than your easy run pace). If something starts to hurt, stop. Not just regular muscle fatigue pain, but something that just doesn't feel right. Listen to your body.

I usually do 4's on mon-wed-fri then hit a big one on sunday usually 8-10. I've taken an additional two days since that 15 miler. I kind of figured that's what the answer was.
    I'm going to go with the slow pace and take it from there.
    Thank you I appreciate your input.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on how I feel and how much I've already done. I 'try" to make the following day my rest day, but sometimes will do something non-running related. About every 3 weeks, I skip a long run for just total better recovery.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^^ This. I couldn't have said it better myself!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think Carson nailed the answer.

It would also depend on the kind of pace / intensity you did your 15 miles at. If it was at your LSD pace you're probably safe at either a recovery or easy pace the next day. If it was a race then a day or two off may be in order.

Listen to your body.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The day after my run days I like to go for a long bike ride to work the legs out with lower impact. Then the next day I move back to running. I've seen great results with this over the years.