Only Lose 21 lbs in 4 months

Options
I start this journey in Feb 22nd, and losing only 21 lbs. Is it normal? I've seen many people here who can lose more than 30 lbs in 4 months. My starting weight is 223 lbs and currently I weigh 202 lbs. I didnt follow any diet, but counting my cal. I eat at least 1600 cal/day. I cant do it lower than that. I workout 3-5 times a week.

Replies

• prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    That is a good safe amount to have lost in that time...you are almost under 200! How awsome is that!!!!
  • mommakatmack
    mommakatmack Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What Prism6 said! My doctor says that I should lose between half a pound and a pound and a half each week to do it safely and to make it easier to maintain!
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That's great. That is over a pound a week...Don't fret and keep it up!
  • kaastengels
    Options
    Thank you :)

My goal weight is 122 to fit my 5'4 frame. Let's assume I wont hit any long plateau, with 1.3 lbs lost/week, I will get to my GW in august 2013. Whoaa, I dont know whether I cant be patient to wait and encourage my self.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose it the better weight loss isn't a quick fix, eat healthily with plenty of fresh fruit and veg and exercise at least 4 times a week and you can't go wrong, you've lost loads, people who loss it fast tend to put it all back on in the long run its all about changing your way of life good luck with the rest of your weight loss x
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You're doing so well, so stop worrying :)
    I know that it can be discouraging when you see the larger amounts that others are loosing, but in the long run an average of half a pound to a pound a week is best for you.

If you are doing or can do some form of exercise as well as watching your calories, then your body will begin to start looking trim and you should not end up with loose skin which is the worry of those of us who have large amounts to loose and whose skin is no longer as pliable as it once was!!...LOL

Good luck on your journey, and congratulations on what you have achieved so far :)
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Patience, young grasshopper. :) It will come. Just don't quit.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Just remember it may seem like a long time, but for me at least, I feel like a rock star already. I still have 30lbs to lose, but I haven't been this light in a long time! You will surely feel great about yourself LONG before you hit your GW. :))
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Ive lost the same and im proud.. i feel like maybe im wring now :|
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I started in February also and have barely lost 13 lbs. Just stick to your guns!
  • chairperson
    Options
    Thank you :)

My goal weight is 122 to fit my 5'4 frame. Let's assume I wont hit any long plateau, with 1.3 lbs lost/week, I will get to my GW in august 2013. Whoaa, I dont know whether I cant be patient to wait and encourage my self.

You will be SO fine. Yes, August 2013 is a long time, but in the mean time, you've lost 20+ pounds! Revel in every goal you hit. Your GW (and mine) may be a long way out, but we get to spend every moment of that time being proud of each step of the process that we master. Honestly, I think I'll miss the expected feelings of accomplishment when the weight loss phase is over, so I'm gonna enjoy while I'm at it.

I've lost 32 lbs since January. Slow and steady. But predictable! I'd rather have predictable, than fast, with plateaus.
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating well. And I'm pretty sure what you're losing is fat...not muscle :) GOOD FOR YOU!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Slower weight loss is easier to maintain over the long term. Also, if you have been working out a lot, you have built muscle - which takes away from weight loss number -- but actually makes you look smaller. If you are not, use a measuring tape to help you get a more complete picture of your progress.

August 2013 might seem like forever, but it's really not a lot of time to pass to have a total body transformation. I know that doesn't help. So set mini-goals for yourself. WW sets mini goals at 10% of your weight -- which seems to be a good motivator for people. That way you feel like you are achieving all year long!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    21 lbs in an incredible amount of weight to lose. Everybody's results are totally different so we really shouldn't compare. Be proud of those 21lbs you've lost (it should be celebrated!). That's an average of 5lbs/month a little over 1lb/week. Keep up the good work. :wink:
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged although I know that's easier said than done! I have my calories set to 1590, but I do tend to go over that a day or two a week. I lost pretty quickly at first, but this past month I had only lost 1 lb up until two days ago when it suddenly dropped two pounds again. For me, it's a matter of adjusting what I'm eating - and making sure I drink my water everyday. Having enough protein REALLY helps, too. I still want to lose 45 more lbs. I check my BMR/TDEE everytime I lose 3-5 lbs and if you use an HRM, make sure you adjust your weight when you lose so you're not over calculating your calorie burn. I'm also planning on losing this "baggage" over the duration of the year so that it's maintainable for me for life. I walk twice a week and do zumba 2-4 times a week (3 of those are 30 minute classes). Stay positive, the loss will happen as long as you stick with it! You ARE making progress even if it's not as fast as you'd like!
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    I have lost about the same amount as you over a 4-month period. I also wonder if I am doing something wrong. But I am continuing to lose weight, albeit slowly, and I have good energy and am exercising, so I'm going to stick with it!
  • wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i have only loss 14 lbs since January. I am totally JEALOUS that you have loss 21lbs in 4 mos. Keep up the good work! Seems like you are doing great!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You are doing good. You didn't get to 223 overnight and it is going to take a while to get back down. As long as the scale is moving in the right direction be encouraged. Slow is way better than some crazy crash diet that is going to be impossible to stay on for life. I believe slow not only trains your body to live with the new weight it trains your mind as well. I am doing it slow as well this time and I dont feel deprived or depressed. I am learning to make better choices and be satisfied with living in my recommended calories. I work out and I feel stronger. That is way more important to me than what the scale says. I know a lot of skinny folks that could not keep up with me. My heart is stronger and my muscles are stronger. The improvement is coming from the inside out and I know if I keep doing what I am doing the outside WILL follow.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    LOL I have "only" lost 30 pounds in 11 months and I have an additional 50 pounds to lose. I'm very proud of my 30 pounds. Yes they have been really slow. But the truth is only 5% of people who lose weight maintain the loss. My rule was I don't want to do anything to lose weight that I won't do the rest of my life. I'm very proud of my 30 pounds as they are gone forever. I mean what's the point to lose it fast to gain it back fast?