What to expect when trail running for a running newbie?

Options
Hey guys, So I'm interested in signing up for my first 5K as a goal for me after I finish up C25K in a couple months. There is a race around me that will be a trail race which sounds awesome just for the fact that its going up hill, watching for roots and jumping logs but I have never really run a trail before. I just wanted to ask if someone could tell me what they prefer and why? Also what to expect and prepare for on a trail run that I should try to incorporate into my training or just be ready for? Thanks!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear as well. I signed up for 5K trail run at Disneyworld this fall. All they said (and this is likely not as intense as a true trail run) is to be prepared to run on different surfaces - sand, grass, dirt, and asphalt. Another friend said to realize that your running time will be slower on a trail run if it's not what you're used to.
  • Fyrclues
    Fyrclues Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! Signing up for a race is a fantastic way to motivate yourself to run and enjoy the outdoors :flowerforyou: I've run roads and trails for the last four years and find that I enjoy both. When is the race??

The main difference between running trails vs. paths/roads is the surface you are running on. Trails are often more beautiful and less traveled but tougher on your feet and ankles. Be sure to take water and a cell phone on every run. I highly suggest you go for a walk along the race route to detrmine if thr trail is right for a first time race.

There are many 'extreme' trail races offered now e.g. Ragnar and I would not suggest them for your first race unless you are competing with some experienced friends. If the race is featured on a local well maintained trail I say GO FOR IT! The satisfaction of finishing your first event will last forever :love: Local road races are a fantastic (and often less intense) alternative if the trail race is beyond your abilities now.

Do you have a link for the event??
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i love running trails, but it's not to often i get to run on trails. So i normally run/race on roads. But trail run is a great way to mix up your workouts. I would suggest to start finding some hills to train on, i can't imagine many trail runs without any hills. The biggest difference is the terrain (which you have already pointed out) you really need to watch your step when running on trail, i have went down a few times from turning my ankle the wrong way.

Like someone already suggested if you could pre run/walk the course that would be a big help. You could try running on grass, a few laps on a soccer field just to get use to the unevenness when you run, and how you feel a little slower on a trail then road. At least i do, and i am guessing cause on the road your foot is pushing off something with no give, but a trail/grass has a little give to it and it may feel different to you.

good luck.
  • Fyrclues
    Fyrclues Posts: 4
    Options
    Oops, I didn't answer all of your questions :embarassed:

I average about a minute per mile slower on a trail verses a paved road. Trail runs are physically tougher because you are using more of your muscles: core (stomach & back) ankles, quads and glutes. Depending on how difficult the trail is you may have to walk portions of it. Trails are usually narrow so you should step off the trail to allow faster runners to pass. It is easy to get turned around when you are on a trail, so pay close attention to every split in the path; everything will look slightly different when you turn around and head back. Always wear a hat, take water, lookout for wildlife (especially snakes) and bring your cell phone in case of an emergency. I also suggest you get trail running shoes as they have more aggressive soles to keep you from slipping.

Roads are paved and usually more highly traveled so if you choose to run the road find a park or quiet residential area. You can run faster on the pavement with less obstacles. My favorite place to run and train is at a local park because I get motivated by the other runners around me.
  • wyldling
    wyldling Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I appreciate the advice. I'll be signing up for the Lake Superior Shore 5K Run (http://www.superiorlandskiclub.com/events/lake-superior-shore-run/). I hear the trail is beautiful so I definitely wanna go check it out before running it. And I'll definitely do my training on some easy trails or I'll find something similar to a soccer field to get the feel (I'm sure it'll be a relief from the impact of cement). My agility isn't necessarily the best but I'm hoping to become more sure footed through this whole experience even if that means eating dirt a couple times, haha.

EDIT: Oh great point about trail running shoes, I definitely didn't even think about that. Probably would be useful ^-^ I'll need to start running on some of the local fitness trails out here in Marquette because I always see runners! Thank you!
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would agree with everyone. Get the right shoe for trail running. Also if you only trained on concrete or treadmill. try other types of grouds, parks, dirt roads ect.. this will give you a feel for different kinds of ground tension and tread feeling on the feet. You can do this. Good Luck and most of all enjoy it.