Couples losing it together

Options
I was just reading another post about un-supportive spouses and things they say, but I hadn't come across a post about couples that are supportive.

My wife and I are both working on losing weight (her more successfully than me) but I think both of us working together works well.

We do build a lot of sarcasm into everything though, when we are both trying to eat healthier and one of us orders something out in left field they expect to get ribbed about it. Usually "Why are you allowed a ________ and I'm not? :)". Unless we can come up with a good answer we generally end up sharing the treat anyway, so we each only get half the calories we would have done.

The other motivator is the treat when you reach major milestones. Nothing like sitting there with a salad when she has a Big Mac because she hit her mark.

Anyone else losing weight as couples?

P.S All that exercise seems to raise the sex drive too, if you needed another reason to workout :D

Replies

• traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Me and my hubby are on this app, it's great to have support at home, even though he doesn't need to lose weight ( he thinks he has a belly I say what belly lol) and now our kids are starting to be a bit more independent we can exercise together and they can hang out with their friends so it's a win win situation x
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hey weeblex,

My wife and I have been going strong with the weightloss for 3 straight weeks now and it is definitely a big part of our daily routine. She is of a much smaller stature than myself so she only has 15-20 lbs that she wants to lose as compared to me wanting to lose 40-50lbs to hit my first goal. But we started this together on MFP and we were instant fans. Now, whenever we drive by fast food restaurants or restaurants in general - it is actually hard for us to imagine ordering what we used to order. Can you even imagine ordering a Whopper... yes - it sounds delicious - but the calories and the fat that you are going to take in. We basically have that conversation whenever we are out and about running errands.

We also started working out together a week after starting the MFP. We were doing a Kettle Bell workout sometime ago (without changing our diet) and found that it was hurting her back too much. So, after doing some research - I found something that was both super challenging for me to enjoy with the extra benefits for her to be able to do. Let me just say... it has worked out for both of us. Since starting the MFP 3 weeks ago and the work out 2 weeks ago - I have lost a total of 17.3lbs and my wife has lost 15lbs. So, we are definitely on a great track here.

After we started the diet and workout we noticed that our moods toward everything has improved greatly and you are definitely right about the sex drive...

Good times!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Oh my husband is the most sarcastic supporter ever. He is constantly pushing me, like when I first did a chin up, instead of cheering me on, he said now let's see a pull up. And then it was wide grip when I can do a regular pull up. And I push myself to show him that I CAN. We compare our bodies. He will be like whose arms are nicer, and stuffs like that. It's really nice to be able to exchange exercise ideas and do stuffs together.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I workout together all the time! He says he only works out to keep up with me, but we both benefit lol. Plus, it helps to have someone there all the time that is supportive and understanding of what's going on...and the competition pushes me to work harder. He may be able to do more push-ups and pull-ups, but I give him a good run for his money...he can't have a girl beat him after all :laugh: I really think us working out together and making the life style change is good for our kids too...they see both parents exercising and eating right, so hopefully we are setting a good example for them both. :smile:

*Maybe TMI, but the bedroom benefits are fantastic as well :wink:
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    My husband and I are losing weight together - combined about 49 lbs so far. I am on MFP and he is not, but it really helps that we are both exercising and trying to eat better. We walk together every chance we get and encourage one another in the slow and plateau times. It also helps to be able to compliment one another on the progress we see.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I better get into the gym. She already has started working out and is doing great. GO D, GO!!!!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are also on this journey together. He joinded MFP the day after me, and that was only because I did not tell him aobut it the day I joined. Being on the same plan helps out so much. He will be at goal before me, but he will still healthy, just get more to eat. LOL

He also started working out with programs that have a schedule, and his results are incredible. It does make it so much easier not to have to fight to get healthy. We do our seperate programs, but we are running together. I could not imagine doing this without his love and support.

Also, it is true about the bedroom beneifts!!
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I couldn't have gotten this far if the hubby hadn't come on board. He's a pretty picky eater, so until he comitted to trying these "healthier alternatives", I just didn't have the will power to fight it on my own.

We've both lost a good amount at this point and are happy for each other's progress more than our own, I would say.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Between the wife and I we have lost 1 of our daughters, i.e., our combined weight loss is more than what one of our daughters' weighs.

She is probably more supportive than I am. She is low carbing it and I just can't do that. I love Mexican and Italian. Makes it hard to do meals sometimes.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    me and the hubs are doing this together...he's lost 30lb and I've lost 40lb so far. I made him a mfp page that he doesn't use, but we are committed to changing to a healthier lifestyle. I try not to nag him about his food measuring (or lack of!!) and he's very encouraging to me. We can do this! :)
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello! My husband is not working on losing weight because he does not need to. However, he is being very supportive and tells me all the time what I good job I'm doing and he can really see a difference. Even when the scale doesn't move he still says he can tell and I am doing great.

My only issue in regards to my husband is he cooks often and he really likes salt. I try just to eat smaller portions because I love his cooking and don't want the whole family to have to change their eating habits because of me.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend isn't trying to lose weight, but he is trying to be healthier and we're doing Insanity together. I really enjoy that we can work out together and motivate each other to make healthier choices.

And yeah exercise sure does boost sex drive... hahaha the other day during Insnaity he leaned over to give me a quick kiss during the water break which turned into... well we didn't finish the workout :laugh: :wink:
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    We are working out together which has been very helpful on those days when I have no desire to do exercise.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    hi! My husband and I are also doing it together! I found MFP and we signed up together. We just love it!

I'm the one that cooks and it's so much easier to cook for 2 people that want to eat healthy.

We support each other when we make good choices and we also work out together. We have a 9 month as well that keeps us on our toes.

When we go run steps together one of us stays at the bottom of the steps with her and we take turns. It's pretty cute!
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't need to loss weight, but he will go walking and exercises with me to keep me motivated. He's pretty flexible about what food I buy, and usually doesn't put up a fuss when I don't buy junk.
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    My hubby & I are doing this together too. He has lost 100 pounds and I've lost 104. He has reached his goal and is just trying to maintain now. I couldn't do it without him. He's my biggest supporter. He does all the cooking and measures everything for me. Much easier doing it together!
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My Fiance and I are losing weight together. It's wonderful to have someone to walk/jog/bike with. He's much stronger at resisting temptation than me so it's also nice to have an actual person ask me if I'm "really going to eat that crap".
    He keeps me going, and he even suggested a juice fast! God I love him!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing Power 90 together, as well as completely overhauling the way we eat. MFP really helps with that! We hit day 30 today, and I'm sure if I was trying to make such a big lifestyle change alone, I couldn't do it. There is always someone there to make sure we get out of bed in the morning to do the workout, and someone else to laugh with at Lisa's total lack of enthusiasm (I'm sure there is a behind-the-scenes story that needs to be written there... maybe some Power 90 fanfic). Plus I know he will eat whatever I choose to make, it isn't like trying to make something healthy for me and something else for my husband and kids. They eat what I make pretty much no questions asked. All of those things combined have been a formula for success so far. We've made it through 30 days and have seen results, so I know we can keep going and lose even more!
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has been working out for 13 months now and has lost 30lbs. He wasn't heavy, but a little chubby (was 183lbs and is 5'8"). He did things his way--still drank soda, cut down how much he ate, but didn't necessarily eat healthier, and started with walks during lunch and walks after work. So the weight didn't come off as quickly as if he just jumped right into things, but it has been a sustained loss that he is happy with. He did go about a month without exercising last October when we moved due to trying to unpack things, and then a 2 month hiatus with me from mid-March to mid-May due to some health issues my mother was having. Now he drinks Dr Pepper 10 instead of regular Dr Pepper (I've been trying to have him just cut it all out but failing at it :laugh: ) and does 3 mile walk/run routes. He started doing push ups 6 weeks ago and could only do 80 throughout his route, but now he can do 300!

I started "for real" working out and eating better in January, oddly enough not as a new year's resolution (started last fall but quickly lost any interest I had). I went to a bridal convention with his mother to get ideas for our upcoming wedding (which we don't have a date for yet :laugh: ). Something just clicked and I decided it was time to make a lifestyle change. I hit the ground running--unlike his strategy of easing into it, even though he's always been an athelete and even played college baseball. I started doing HIIT, weight training and eating clean. Now that I am preparing both our lunches and dinners my boyfriend is eating cleaner, but when we go out to eat he doesn't bat an eye at ordering what he wants regardless if it's "healthy" or not. He doesn't count calories and doesn't sweat the small stuff. So he's a lot looser than I am, but that's his personality in general. I started out with 19-23lbs to lose and so far I'm down 9lbs.

We are both very supportive of each other and point out NSV's to each other such as more muscle definition or clothes fitting better. Even though we are taking different paths along out journey, we are still travelling together :smile:
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    I've been changing my habits and exercising more, eating less for a few months but against my husband's wishes, I started him a MFP profile as well. He's using it and I think he's glad I created it. He was getting so morose that he officially weighs more than me (I've always been the heavier of us) and so I think it's encouraging for him to see his caloric intake and the burned calories from exercise.

We're taking the journey together and I couldn't be happier about it. I'm so glad he's decided to get healthy with me, because he always worries about his health since his family has bad hearts/lungs/livers -- it'll be nice to have him around for longer.