Exercise Induced Insomnia

Options
I know this is a long shot, but has anyone out there had exercise induced insomnia?

For the past few years, just about anytime I work out, I end up waking up constantly during the night and my insomnia completely goes away when I'm not working out. For example, yesterday I walked for an hour at 9am. Went to bed exhausted at 10pm. Woke up 12 times between 10 and 3:30. Slept fine from 3:30 - 5:00 and then started waking up constantly until my husband's alarm went off at 6:30. This is typically how it goes if I've worked out during the day except for I don't usually get the hour and a half of straight sleep.

I have a doctor that has been running tests for months now, but she runs a test and then by the time the results come in and I make an appointment it's 2 months later and nothing seems to be really out of whack.

So I'm wondering two things. Has anyone experienced this and figured out what was causing it? And also, what is more important for weight loss? Sleep or exercise? I've heard that sleep is really important for burning fat, but so is exercise. Every time I see the question asked, the answer is always to make time for both, but what if it really is one or the other????

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I know this is a long shot, but has anyone out there had exercise induced insomnia?

For the past few years, just about anytime I work out, I end up waking up constantly during the night and my insomnia completely goes away when I'm not working out. For example, yesterday I walked for an hour at 9am. Went to bed exhausted at 10pm. Woke up 12 times between 10 and 3:30. Slept fine from 3:30 - 5:00 and then started waking up constantly until my husband's alarm went off at 6:30. This is typically how it goes if I've worked out during the day except for I don't usually get the hour and a half of straight sleep.

I have a doctor that has been running tests for months now, but she runs a test and then by the time the results come in and I make an appointment it's 2 months later and nothing seems to be really out of whack.

So I'm wondering two things. Has anyone experienced this and figured out what was causing it? And also, what is more important for weight loss? Sleep or exercise? I've heard that sleep is really important for burning fat, but so is exercise. Every time I see the question asked, the answer is always to make time for both, but what if it really is one or the other????

Sleep is very important for recovery from exercise. One sign of over-training is trouble sleeping. Do you take any supplements in-conjunction with your exercise? It just seems unlikely that an hour walk is keeping you awake 12-hours later. Do you have any other health issues? Google "Adrenal Fatigue" and see if any of those symptoms fit you and if so go talk to your doctor again. Have you had a sleep study done?
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've always heard about, and experienced, the opposite. I sleep best when I've worked out.

I would definitely keep on your doctor and see what else may be going on.
  • jenafey
    jenafey Posts: 10
    Options
    Hmmm, the adrenal fatigue could totally fit. I took an online "test", haha and it came out as way positive. The doctor I've been seeing is an endocrinologist so I'll talk to her about it. She's tested my cortisol levels and they were definitely higher the day I exercised (even though they took blood 7 hours later) compared to the day I didn't exercise, but they were still in the "normal" range. When they did the 24 hour test I came out normal for all of the usual suspects - cortisol, norepinepherine, and epinepherine. I can't get back into her office until August, so that's why I'm a little stressed, but she's supposed to be really good.

I haven't taken any supplements, just prenatal vitamins while I was pregnant and breastfeeding and I had this problem prior to that (although it went away while I was pregnant but then it came back after I had the baby). No real health problems other than asthma which I was taking Singulair for, but I've been off of that for a month to see if it made a difference. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. I sure hope we get this figured out quickly.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, the adrenal fatigue could totally fit. I took an online "test", haha and it came out as way positive. The doctor I've been seeing is an endocrinologist so I'll talk to her about it. She's tested my cortisol levels and they were definitely higher the day I exercised (even though they took blood 7 hours later) compared to the day I didn't exercise, but they were still in the "normal" range. When they did the 24 hour test I came out normal for all of the usual suspects - cortisol, norepinepherine, and epinepherine. I can't get back into her office until August, so that's why I'm a little stressed, but she's supposed to be really good.

I haven't taken any supplements, just prenatal vitamins while I was pregnant and breastfeeding and I had this problem prior to that (although it went away while I was pregnant but then it came back after I had the baby). No real health problems other than asthma which I was taking Singulair for, but I've been off of that for a month to see if it made a difference. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. I sure hope we get this figured out quickly.

Yeah definitely good luck with that if that's the case.