Since everyone here has had success....

Options
Has anyone had success losing by doing the couch to 5k? I was doing the 30d shred, lost inches but not pounds. I quit it and started the couch to 5k yesterday. Hoping to see the scale move with this program.

Replies

• amehime
    amehime Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You weren't happy with losing inches instead of pounds? By doing that you were losing fat and gaining strength.
  • gottolosethisweight
    gottolosethisweight Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 day Shred as well as walk/jog 6kms in the evening. I was just walking but I want to gain muscle as well so I have started to do both. Inches lost are just as good as pounds lost. Good Luck on your journey
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    You weren't happy with losing inches instead of pounds? By doing that you were losing fat and gaining strength.

YES I loved losing the inches. But it gets discouraging not seeing the scale go down. And I was tired of listening to Jillian too.
    I have wanted to run for along time. And am just now trying it.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Inches are what people see! Nobody knows the numbers on your scale.
    My hubby has done the Cto5K, and I don't know whether or not he lost pounds with it (he really didn't need to lose weight.) But I saw a difference in increased energy and endurance. It put a pep in his step and a twinkle in his eye. To me, that is success!
  • phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Don't quit the Shred! Losing inches is great progress. I've found that when doing the shred I would drop weight or stay the same depending which day I was at. Eventually the weight loss would happen.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    And I was tired of listening to Jillian too.
    I have wanted to run for along time. And am just now trying it.
    Hehe, I hear you on not wanting to listen to Jillian. :tongue:
  • Kris1997
    Options
    I was on the last week of the Shred when I gave it up. I am currently using my treadmill for the couch 2 5k.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i'm the opposite now.. I want to lose inches and could care less about the weight..

I do find that when I run I lose weight.. But am totally going to cut back now to try and gain muscle..
  • Kris1997
    Options
    I've got 40+ to lose. I'd like to be tone and smaller in size. Ya know typical response... I want it all!!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit you should lose weight (for the most part). Running will certainly help you get there, as will Jillian, just depends which track you want to take. Jillian will help you tone (albeit slowly).

To tell you the truth, it's mostly diet. I'm a runner but it's really eating clean and healthy, watching sweetened drinks and snacks.

Of course, a combination of both will help! If you took "before" pics, I would go back and finish 30DS while you are doing C25K. Compare them to your "after" pics and I bet you'll see a difference.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Running really helps burn the fat. It did more for my body composition than other cardio I had been doing.

My arms and chin after about 3 months of running (but 6 months in between pics, I just didn't start running until about half way between these pics). I lost about 18 lbs between the two pictures - the running helped speed that number up too.

i-bpnpLXs-S.jpgi-RCJjL4Q-S.jpg

i-tQ8pqXh-Th.jpgi-dcJCJcN-S.jpg
  • phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was on the last week of the Shred when I gave it up. I am currently using my treadmill for the couch 2 5k.

Ah, I'm on the last two days of Level 3. I've lost the least amount of weight on Level three but my shoulders and arms have really gained some definition.

I lost the most weight on Level 2. I was doing all the advance moves and lost 6-8lbs just from that level.

Good luck on C25K. I hear great things from people that do that.
  • Kris1997
    Options
    My hubby has done the Cto5K, and I don't know whether or not he lost pounds with it (he really didn't need to lose weight.) But I saw a difference in increased energy and endurance. It put a pep in his step and a twinkle in his eye. To me, that is success!

That is success. I need an energy boost and endurance would be wonderful too. Even though I lost several inches very few have noticed it. I want to look and feel better. The pants sizes need to go down and so does scale.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Running has done more to reshape my lower body than any exercise I've ever tried. What works for me is a running program that gets me out 3-4x a week, and weight training on the other 2 or 3 days, then one day of rest. Couch to 5K is a wonderful tool that will teach you how to become a runner, and it lessens your chance of injury because it keeps you from going out and doing too much too soon.
  • michelehedges
    michelehedges Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love the C25K program because I like having someone telling me to run lol! Otherwise I might not do it!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry. i never did couch to 5 K.

But i do run. And running is great for you.

Good luck!!!!
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I started running a few months ago when I nearly hit my goal weight. I am now running at least 3 days a week, 4-7 miles. I have not lost any weight since then but am at the bottom edge of my healthy BMI. Running will BUILD cardio and muscle while BURNING fat. I acually saw my weight increase slightly in the first few weeks of running as the muscle mass in my legs increased. I am far more toned than before I was running, so I would consider it a success even though the scale hasn't moved.

If you still have a bit of weight to go, running can DEFINITELY kick start the burning process.
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just started couch 2 5k yesterday and I loved it! I have been strength training only this entire year and while I have lost inches...I just don't feel the way I want to feel! I felt exhilirated after "running" yesterday. I had a new goal and I nailed it. It is even going to be hard to wait until tomorrow for day 2! Good luck!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

That is success. I need an energy boost and endurance would be wonderful too. Even though I lost several inches very few have noticed it. I want to look and feel better. The pants sizes need to go down and so does scale.

Losing inches is what makes your pant size go down, not the scale. You seem really focused on the scale, that's not as important. As far as running, I got into it and love it. I would definitely recommend C25K.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!