Work Stress = Eating 1,000 calorie sandwiches

Options
It has been a lonnnnnng time since I posted on here. I began my weight loss journey last year, and did really well. I was really super motivated and if food didn't meet my calorie limitations it simply did NOT go in my body. It was easy. I got compliments from family members who I never thought would notice. I felt great.

Then my job laid off our entire office and I opened a non-profit. I have learned in the last year that I am an emotional eater. I did NOT know that before. I spent this last month working on a grant, and found that any time I felt stressed I'd use it as an excuse to eat whatever. This last week I went to Firehouse TWICE and had a sandwich that was 1000 calories.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I can't seem to find that fire or spark I did before. It's really hard. I was so determined last year, that I kinda felt like a diet snob. : ) I keep hitting restart and saying I'm determined, but I've honestly fallen off the wagon this year more times than I can count! Ugh!

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

I mean when you're panicking/sad/just fed up with life, then you see your boring salad that you've had for the last couple days with the same looking lettuce, same dressing and cold, dry chicken and then you imagine the fresh, hot cheesy sandwiches they have at a nearby place... no contest is there? :laugh:

I guess you can try just ordering a smaller one (which usually isn't cost effective, I know) or exercise more.
  • xuashe
    xuashe Posts: 46
    Options
    Look at nutritional information before you go and get it without the fatty stuff (cheese, mayo).
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You have the power to deal with this... You are still 22 lbs down. You can do it. Try to find alternate ways of dealing with the stress.... Plan out your meal BEFORE the day's stress starts and stick with it. Carry some low calorie "munchies" such as carrots, fruit or whatever when you just feel like you can't make it without something in your mouth. If you are in charge, make the people who fill the snack machines put in only healthy snacks... otherwise, avoid it like the plague... don't even carry small change so you are not tempted. Then instead of going to the fast food joints during lunch, take a brisk walk to relieve stress... Meditation/prayer along the way may help clear your mind. Emotional eaters often choose empty calorie foods that are high in appetite enhancers which can cause a rapid downward spiral in weight loss efforts. Most of all, resolve to log everything you eat and get into a solid exercise program... If you have control of your own life, you will be better able to help those you are trying to help... Best wishes... You are bigger than this... You can do it. I look forward to the "after photos"... Go get 'em.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Pre -prepare lunches out of things you actually like but aren't quite so calorific? That way you might avoid the temptation. Research good mood foods and include those to help ith the emotional side of things, so you're doing something positive with your new self knowledege?
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i can so relate...:cry: i'm an emotional eater as well. and the emotions around my world lately...lets just say i'm trying again...
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You need to get inspired again. You know that you shouldn't eat this sandwich -- you said that the last time, it was easy, so you know all the things that have been said here: Smaller portion sizes, cutting out the fatty extras, just skipping the sandwich all together.

But I think you're problem is that you've lost that inspiration to be healthy. First of all, stop beating yourself up. So what, you ate the sandwich. Oh well, move on. Next, you need to remember how you felt when you were doing well on your journey. The compliments, your general energy level, etc. Finally, you need to find other ways to cope with your stress. Try yoga, meditation, read up on it until you find something that works for you.

I think you'll get back on track, because you obviously have the drive. You just need to pinpoint the problem (seems like you already have, stress), deal with it w/out the food, and get your motivation and inspiration back!
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They give you such huge sandwiches, it's so easy to overindulge! I sometimes get Jimmy John's sandwiches delivered to work, and I immediately wrap up half and put it in the refrigerator. I'm totally satisfied after my half-sandwich (which is usually the size of a normal sandwich I'd make at home, since it's so big!), and I'll eat the other half later. Maybe this approach would work for you too - hope it helps!
  • anses
    anses Posts: 6
    Options
    Same here :( I thought preparing small meals for the whole day would be easy, that way I would not get those big cravings but it's NOT easy. I just don't have the time to cook stuff.

I would say try to eat at home as much as you can, every time you get out hungry and see a sign with a big tasty burger is just gonna drag you to a fast food place.

And for the motivation part, try to put some achievable goals like 2 lbs down each week or something.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Try having a piece of Dark Chocolate! =) And some fruits! The chocolate will help you to feel better, the fruit is good for you, and filling. Both should help your mood out some! You'll have energy, you'll be full, and maybe stress will be easier to deal with.
  • MstarsElizabeth
    MstarsElizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone - sorry for the delayed thank you -but thank you. You're all so right - I needed to find my motivation again and I don't want to jinx it but I think I have. This last week I was under my calorie goal all but one day and I worked out 3 days this week. I even did great on the weekend, which included making baked blueberry donuts at 134 calories a piece. : P I managed to lose 3.5 lbs this past week and I'm only 8.5 pounds away from my lowest point from last year.

Thank you thank you! You all are more helpful than you realize!
  • jstcallmecoco
    Options
    i think the best way is to wean yourself off of your bad habits. even if you feel like you're going to eat bad, just make sure that you don't exceed your calories for the day. and always always always log into MFP and put in the bad things you are eating. it works for me. when i look at my diary and see how much crap is in something i really try not to eat it anymore. just take it one day at a time. Let the way you used to feel as a "diet snob," be your motivation. theres nothing like knowing you are doing your body good. its a great feeling!!! wish u the best of luck!!!