Feeling Discouraged

Options
kjoy_
kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
I am snowballing here. I fell off the fitness wagon for about 10 weeks, and that resulted in an 8 pound weight gain. That may not seem like a lot, but I'm very small framed and short. I'm having serious trouble motivating myself to get going again, looking at Lean Cuisines makes me just depressed. When you're stuck in a fitness rut, how do you get motivated? What are some fun new things to try...eating, exercise, etc? I am currently 136 lbs. and looking to get back to 128 lbs.

Replies

• abdmps
    abdmps Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im short too and fell off the wagon a few weeks ago. Just got back on now and willing to start again. You can do this..... WE can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • jojo3937
    jojo3937 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have to remember why you're doing this in the first place. Why do you want to lose the weight? What kind of goals are you after? I fall off track all the time- but once I do- I get right back up. Eat bad? make your next meal clean and healthy. Find things that keep you motivated to workout and eat well. For me sometimes it helps to buy new gym clothes, put new songs on my ipod or try a new recipe. Drop your lean cuinsines. They taste like garbage and are full of chemicals.

Check out: www.eatcleandiet.com a great lifestyle to pick up :)

Best of luck. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ginacab3
    ginacab3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same here. I was within my goal weight and then motivation went out the window. What makes it harder is that June is a big birthday month - there are about 6 of us that celebrate our birthdays this month and there is always a party with cake and other sweets (sugar is my big problem). Trying so hard to get back into working out but it's been so difficult. My family has been great support, but I can't get myself moving.
  • RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Options
    If you fell off the wagon, you just got to pick yourself up and get right back on that wagon. You posting here means that you are ready to do so, but need a little push or encouragement. Someone who didn't care that they feel off the wagon wouldn't be on here. You are. So you are ready to get back and get going.

Like someone posted lose the Lean Cuisine. If it depresses you to look at it, then toss it...that isn't going to make it better. Eat 5 or six small meals. Eating healthy doesn't have to be depressing. Fresh fruits, a salad, hummus, yogurt, trail mix. Just pick some up, see what you like and go from there.

Keep yourself accountable to you by using the diary and tracking what you eat. If you have an unhealthy meal now and then, don't beat yourself up over it. It happens and sometimes it is good to do to reward yourself.

As for exercise find things that you enjoy. If that is walking, running or whatever. Use an iPod, crank up some of your favorite tunes, or try group classes to try.

You really can do this. Just take that step and get started again!
  • ginablanton67
    Options
    I'm feeling discouraged too...but I'm still keeping on keeping on....basically I started this journey almost two weeks ago....my first week, the scale said I lost 4 pounds, then I jumped on the scale today (my 2nd week) and it said that I gained back those 4 pounds plus 2 more pounds....Grrrrrrrrr. I've been exercising everday except Saturday of last weekend and I've been staying within my daily calorie goal every day except two days...I went over by like 200 calories both days...however, I realized what I did and now I know better....I measured myself yesterday and the good news is I've lost 1.5 inches so that is a little motivation.....any ideas on what I can do to get the scale to go in the other direction.
  • ginablanton67
    Options
    ....and I'm drinking 90 oz of water a day.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For eating: In the summer, I am a big fan of dinner salads. You can do chicken, peach slices, and a sprinkle of feta cheese; shrimp, avocado, multicolored cherry tomatoes, and one crumbled slice of bacon; a watermelon salad with feta, lemon juice, thinly sliced red onion, and mint... The basic formula is load up on fresh fruits and veggies, add some protein, and sprinkle a little of the fatty stuff, just enough for a taste. Sooo good, and both more filling and less sodium than Lean Cuisine.

For exercise: I like scoping Groupon. I found a 30-class fitness pass for $20. I've tried Zumba, barre/pilates fusion, kettlebells, and hot yoga with Groupons, averaging out to $2-4 per class, or sometimes even less (the more you go, the better value for your money!).
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    While Lean Cusines appear healthy, check the sodium. Some of those frozen food meals that are "healthy" are super high in sodium! :(

1) Rem why you started!
    2) Make a list of why you want to lose weight and what you will do after you reach your goal!
    3) make small goals, such as log all food, then log all food + stay under calories, etc.
    4) post inspiration EVERYWHERE! on your phone, on the scale, on your walls, on your doors, etc. I use motivational fitness quote graphics literally everywhere! They keep me reminded!
    5) do a weight loss simulator graphic, shows you current and at your goal. YOU WILL BE AMAZED and want to finish this journey
    6) stick to MFP because the support is amazing! You say your having a bad day, then everyone supports you and encourages you to do right!

Hang in there! Add me if you need support!
  • tscott10
    tscott10 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Me too! Went on a Disney Cruise about a month ago and I was pretty good but that started the eating. I have not stopped and I have worked out hard only once since I have been back. Help!!!! Add me and we can get back on track together.
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to try something new that doesn't feel like exercise......like mountain biking, kayaking, swimming,....really anything that gets you up and moving....if your exercising is something you don't enjoy, it makes it all the harder to stay motivated. So find something you love and it'll be easy to keep at it. Don't give up!!!!!
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the support. This is my first time posting on the message boards, and between this and getting the iPhone app with the scanner, I feel ready to do this!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Motivation can be hard for us all, but lately (for me), my motivation has been happening for a variety of reasons. I am motivated to keep disciplined for the following reasons:

1) Health - when I started in January my cholesterol was high. 6 months later and 32 pounds lighter, my cholesterol is the lowest it has ever been in my life.
    2) To be able to be active - when I was carrying extra weight, it was easier to be sedentary - I was tired all the time. I love to play hockey, but sometimes I was so lethargic I did not want to play. Being fit means I am pretty much up for physical activity any time - I have energy and I don't get tired and I can play my sport better now, plus I can try new things like hiking and kayaking, where when I was carrying extra weight I would shun away from.
    3) I am tired of supporting a corrupt, greedy, food manufacturing and marketing system. I try to stay away from processed crap - I refuse to patronize fast food joints and I try to avoid GMO foods. I stop and think about what I am putting in my mouth now and if it is really good for my body.
    4) Just got divorced and I want to look my best to attract a potential partner - I am not satisfied with looking the way many of my other 44 year old buddies look (overweight, unkept, poorly dressed, etc.) - I want to be my best and that only comes through hard work, discipline and refusal to give in to what the status quo does. I am not narcissistic, but I have a healthy pride in my appearance.
    5) I really love the taste of healthy food and how good exercise makes me feel and I look forward them. I love, love, LOVE my power oatmeal in the mornings now and I crave it more that I ever craved a hamburger and it makes me feel awesome, whereas a burger just made me feel yucky and fat - I agree with others - bag the Lean Cuisine and develop a taste for whole foods - change your life.

Not sure if this helps at all, but that is my mindset now. On nights where I feel really tired or beat or unmotivated, I give myself a break - I eat light, put on a funny movie and I Vegg and nap - next day I am reset, energized and ready to kick butt again.
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Needing motivation too! It seems I am not alone.