Advice? Not losing any weight!

Options
Hi there!

So, I started tracking my food consumption and exercise a couple weeks ago. My food choices are pretty healthy (or so I think) and I exercise about 2-3 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. I don't like running much, but I do a lot of walking, jump rope, jumping jacks, sit ups, etc. I haven't lost any weight since I started tracking my food and I have noticed my clothes have gotten tighter! What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It would help if you made your food/exercise diary public so we can give more constructive feedback.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You need to open up your diary if you want help.

Also, what is your current weight, starting weight, height, and calorie goal per day?
  • Kmags66
    Kmags66 Posts: 21
    Options
    Are you eating the recommended calorie amount for your body weight? That could make a big difference! I know when I eat just 200 more calories I don't seem to lose anything.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything? Your calorie intake seems very low to me.
  • asharm21
    asharm21 Posts: 3
    Options
    I opened up my diary.

My current weight is higher than my starting weight...133 versus 131. I am 5 foot 3 inches tall and my goal calories per day is 1200. I usually get somewhere around that goal daily.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    I opened up my diary.

My current weight is higher than my starting weight...133 versus 131. I am 5 foot 3 inches tall and my goal calories per day is 1200. I usually get somewhere around that goal daily.

First, the closer you are to your goal, the harder it is to lose weight. You only want to lose 11lbs....you should probably aim to lose about 0.5lbs a week.
    Second, you are not hitting your goal daily. Most days you are under by 500-600 calories. That's not enough food to fuel your body. You need to hit at least 1200. I would recommend that you do some research and figure out your BMR and TDEE. You should eat at a 15-20% reduction of your TDEE.
    Third, you are not logging every day. You could be having a bad weekend that is undoing all your work during the week. You should log everything, every day.
    Finally, take measurements. As you get closer to your goal, you could see more changes in inches and how clothing fits than actual pounds.

Good luck!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Exercise more, that's what helped me. If you don't have a lot of time do 20-30 minutes of good, heart-racing cardio 5-6 times a week, or if you don't feel like exercising every day, do an hour 3 times a week. Also, you could probably get away with eating 1500 cals a day.
  • barbcouperus
    barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

So, I started tracking my food consumption and exercise a couple weeks ago. My food choices are pretty healthy (or so I think) and I exercise about 2-3 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. I don't like running much, but I do a lot of walking, jump rope, jumping jacks, sit ups, etc. I haven't lost any weight since I started tracking my food and I have noticed my clothes have gotten tighter! What am I doing wrong?

Judging by your diary, you are not eating anywhere near enough...you NEED minimum 1200 cals per day just to keep breathing. You really need to log everything. there were some days you only a scoop of protein powder for breakfast? did you mix that with anything?? You didn't have dinner one day either and no logging at all on the weekends. You need to eat smaller meals/snacks every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism running, otherwise it shuts down if you starve it. It holds on to everythign because it doesn't know when you're feeding it next.
    You may also want to incorporate some strength training/weights into your exercise and not just cardio.
    Hope it helps.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    no offense, but if i ate what you did i would starve to death! you need to hit your calorie goal babe. seems crazy, but really it works!!
  • asharm21
    asharm21 Posts: 3
    Options
    Any suggestions on what I should encorporate in my diet to make it healthy and worth the calories?
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Any suggestions on what I should encorporate in my diet to make it healthy and worth the calories?

Vegetables, fruit, protein (chicken, turkey, fish, beans, lean cuts of beef and pork), dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk), carbs (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread), healthy fats (olive oil, sunflower oil, etc).

Skinnytaste.com has some great recipes. Or check out allreicpes.com - they have a HUGE selection, basically anything you can think of!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Here are some examples of healthy choices you can make for your meals:

Cottage cheese (1/2 cup serving) 90 calories
    Blueberries (1 cup) 83 cal
    Wholegrain or rye bread (2 slices) 160 cal
    Quinoa (1/2 cup) 110 cal
    Peanut butter (1 TBS) 130 cal
    Fish 5 oz ~300 cal
    Vegetables (1 cup) range from 50-150 cal
    Greek yogurt (3/4 cup) 160 cal
    Avocado 320 cal
    Nuts (1/4 cup almonds) 200 cal
    Chicken breast ~300 cal
    Cheddar (1 oz) 120 cal
    Steak-top sirloin (6 oz) ~450 cal
    Milk 2% (1 cup) ~ 130 cal
    Wholewheat pasta (1 cup) ~120 cal'
    Olive Oil (1 TBSP) 120 cal

Not sure how close I came to proper portion sizes but hoping this helps you.