Couch to 5K

Options
Hi Everyone,
I'm going to be starting the couch to 5k App this week and I have never been a runner before. I was a swimmer for 12 years but am nervous about getting into running.
Any tips? Anyone used this app?

Replies

• barbcouperus
    barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm going to be starting the couch to 5k App this week and I have never been a runner before. I was a swimmer for 12 years but am nervous about getting into running.
    Any tips? Anyone used this app?

In just started it last week and so far so good...there's a group on here for C25K enthusiasists, so you might want to search that one out for support/tips/motivation etc...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Great program. I graduated on June 2nd (it took me 3 months to do the 8 week program LOL). I've run 2 5K races, and a fair amount of 5Ks on my own. I am now training for a 10K.

And before this, I had NEVER run. Wasn't even good at it as a kid.

First, go to a running store and get properly fitted for shoes for your gait. Do it now, BEFORE the shin splints start, rather than wait like most of us do LOL.

Next, go SLOWLY. Speed doesn't matter. Repeat weeks if necessary (which I did a lot of). It's not a race. Yet LOL.

Have fun. If you're more comfortable on a treadmill, do it there. But I recommend outdoors. And I never thought I'd say that LOL. But the treadmill, for running at least, feels like torture these days. I still enjoy walking on it though.