The Aspartame Thread

Options

Replies

• Jayme813
    Jayme813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    personally I stay away from most items that I know have aspartame in them - not always possible but I try - though my problem is if I have it say in diet soda (which is what I typically see it in) then I usually end up with a major Migrane - so for me I stay away other people I know use it and do ok (for now)

I don't really drink much diet soda, but Equal (which is Aspartame) triggers migraines for my sister, brother, and mom, so I am afraid to even try it myself (I also suffer from migraines... i guess it runs in the family).

Interesting to see that others have this reaction to it.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time...

Okay MANY once upon a times...

I would engage in thoughtful dialogue about Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners. I would kindly post scientific articles and offer my scientific opinion that the alarmist claims of others were unwarranted, unjustified, and in many cases, pure nonsense. I would ALSO acknowledge that there are some possible risks associated with EXCESSIVE consumption of the compounds, and I would acknowledge that some people have a sensitivity to these compounds that manifests in headaches, etc... I would present articles in as unbiased a manner as possible showing that Aspartame increases appetite followed by articles showing it doesn't increase appetite and might actually repress it. I would present articles that show it might have a modest effect on insulin release and articles showing no effect. AND so on.

But then I realized something.

The alarmists don't care about an unbiased presentation of the science. They're capable of using pubmed and learning everything that I have learned, but they don't, ether because they're intimidated by it or because they prefer to act with faith in their chosen heroes of 'good health' while ignoring every other well-educated hero.

There are discussions like this one on a daily bases, and they really accomplish nothing. The true believer will continue to believe in the evils of aspartame regardless of what is said or posted.

Others will drink it without much thought because it tastes good and helps them stay on their diet.

Still others will weigh the pros and cons of aspartame with eyes wide open to the actual science (as opposed to the wonders produced by google-fu) and they will choose to partake or not partake depending on their own interpretation of the data.

If you choose not to partake... then there's no risk that aspartame will damage your health.

If you choose to partake (as I do)... the risks to your health are probably minimal. There's data to suggest some possible risks and there's data that contradicts that data, so it's really a toss-up and you're probably safe.

*sigh* And so... that's the end of my story.

Sincerely,

A frustrated, disgruntled, possibly jaded research scientist.
  • Jayme813
    Jayme813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that some of the migraines that are attributed to the aspartame are actually due to the caffeine in the drink?

Maybe for some, but with my family members who get headaches from aspartame, they can drink sugar or splenda in their coffee or tea and be fine; but when they use equal in the same drinks they get migraines.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Great post labrat
  • jmobashrn11
    jmobashrn11 Posts: 120
    Options
    I want to point something out. There's a huge difference between having an allergy to something and it actually being poisonous. Plenty of people are allergic to shellfish, pineapple, chocolate, whatever...but those things are not poisonous. They just happen to cause an allergic reaction in certain people.

When it comes to things like this, it's all about the quantitative, not the qualitative, science.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I like to think about stuff like this, and as mentioned in the other thread, how future generations might view things compared to how we do. Aspartame is an interesting example - sure, it's possible that scientists will provide sound proof that it does some awful thing; but on the same note, it might become as ubiquitous as sugar. Just as sugar doesn't occur in granules in nature, but its chemical components do, aspartame doesn't occur naturally, but its components (a couple particular amino acids, which occur naturally in asparagus and breast milk, respectively) do. Think about other things we are used to now that were once newly created or discovered (i.e. don't occur in their current form in nature)... some are so widely accepted that we don't even think about it, some are the subject of concern for some people, and some are outright dangerous. Gasoline, hand cream, Tylenol, cocaine, red M&Ms, multivitamins and on and on.

Benefits and detriments? In my own estimation, it has little of either. Perhaps it helps some reduce their sugar intake, perhaps it's true that it increases your appetite - I don't know. But it's been around long enough and people consume it enough that I think it would have caused a health epidemic by now if it was going to.

This
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Great post labrat

Yup
  • ae2rigc
    ae2rigc Posts: 37
    Options
    If you're drinking over 20 12 ounce cans of diet soda a day, there's an issue and will be an issue. However a couple of cans a day is fine AS LONG AS you're also supplying an efficient amount of water too and not letting diet soda be your main fluid intake.
    ^^^
    My opinion too...

My cousin had been drinking diet drinks for about 20 years, the last 10 or so, exclusively diet coke, about 1.5 - 2 litres a day (about 5-7 cans, which is a lot).
    Last year doctors removed one of his kidneys and the grapefruit sized tumour attached to it.

None of the doctors would write down the cause because it couldn't be proved but without exception, they all said he should stay away from aspartame from here on in. He now drinks only water and fresh orange juice.

An extreme case I know but enough to keep me down to couple of cans a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    MaryHm1: "I found some reports that linked aspartame and panic attacks."
    Can you pass along those reports, please?

NinerBuff: I never understood why liquid from sources including things like aspartame (or juice or whatever else) don't "count" as liquid. Clearly, MaryHm1 exists on only Diet Dr. Pepper for years and didn't shrivel up. What is the basis of the objection to not drinking pure water?
    It's not the aspartame, but the caffeine (unless you drink decaffeinated) in diet soda that can cause dehydration. There are exceptions to every rule and situation, but being on the more logical side, an ample amount of pure water will help to offset this issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

and an ample amount of water is what?
    The consensus is 8 8oz glasses of water, but has no scientific study to actually prove it. IMO (yes my opinion) I think you should drink approximately have you weight in ounces. So if you're 200lbs, then 100 oz of water. 150lbs, then 75 oz.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I gave it up 5 years ago, I don't want bleach and tar in my body. I use stevia instead which is natural. I recently just got turned onto zsweet.
  • Maagrie
    Maagrie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I drank diet soda (and diet sweets) for most of my life with no issues. So, I guess I would say a pro would be to have a variety of drink type substances to add to your daily water, and a variety of treats to be able to add to your day.

About a month ago I started have terrible digestive problems(would double me over with pain). My doctor suggested the artificial sweeteners I was consuming was the most likely cause, which would be aspartame for the most part. I stopped drinking/eating anything with any artificial sweeter in it and my problems have disappeared. So, that would be a con for Aspartame.

I do miss having that variety, but not the pain.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    MaryHm1: "I found some reports that linked aspartame and panic attacks."
    Can you pass along those reports, please?

NinerBuff: I never understood why liquid from sources including things like aspartame (or juice or whatever else) don't "count" as liquid. Clearly, MaryHm1 exists on only Diet Dr. Pepper for years and didn't shrivel up. What is the basis of the objection to not drinking pure water?
    It's not the aspartame, but the caffeine (unless you drink decaffeinated) in diet soda that can cause dehydration. There are exceptions to every rule and situation, but being on the more logical side, an ample amount of pure water will help to offset this issue.

IDEA Fitness member
    There is not nearly enough caffeine in soda to even begin dehydrating someone, particularly compared to the actual amount of water in the soda. If you could somehow consume 10 cans of caffeinated diet soda (or regular soda) without actually consuming any of the water in the soda, then you might be dehydrating yourself.
    The question was related to someone only using diet soda as their means of fluid intake though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    More generic than aspartame, I'm arrogant enough to claim that this post covers ALL low-calorie sweeteners, be they from a plant or a chemical plant:

Benefits:
    - It tastes good
    - It is lower in calories and has a much lower glycemic index than most other things that taste good.

Detriments:
    - Some people are sensitive to it and may experience problems. The problems depend on the sweetener and the individual. Such cases are rare and fatalities or lasting effects are exceptionally rare. But they still happen, and it can be uncomfortable.
    - Some of them have only been around in common use for ten years or so. There may be long-term human impacts that we simply cannot have tested for in the short time they've been around. They are probably harmless, but there is a chance they are not.
    - Some people (like me) react poorly to a constant intake of things that taste sweet - we come to desire sweet constantly, and it makes cravings for high-calorie sugary items harder to control. This is obviously not true of everyone.

All in all, I know the risks associated with sugar, so when I need a sweetener I use that. The only low-calorie sweetener that's been around long enough and subject to sufficient tasting for me to feel safe with is saccharin, and that stuff just tastes nasty to me, so there's no point for me in using it.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I avoid the stuff like the plague. A couple of years ago I had horrific muscle pains in my chest wall and legs, and chronic headaches.. I drank diet coke and ate aspartame sweetened stuff. I gave up the diet drinks and the aspartame, boom, all maladies resolved.

I never had the chest pains, but ditto to everything else!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I see aspartame, I run in the other direction. Anything that makes me feel nauseous, irritable and migraine-y that's not my period is to be avoided.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The consensus is 8 8oz glasses of water, but has no scientific study to actually prove it. IMO (yes my opinion) I think you should drink approximately have you weight in ounces. So if you're 200lbs, then 100 oz of water. 150lbs, then 75 oz.

I use the simpler "urine test". Obviously not relevant for people with specific medical conditions, but most of us are good with it:

Clear, no color - you're an overachiever, and don't need to be drinking as much water as you do.
    Pale yellow - Perfect.
    Bright yellow - Drink an extra glass or two today and check again tomorrow.
    Medium yellow, darker, or any sign of cloudiness - Drink an extra FEW glasses today and check again tomorrow. If it's not lighter and clearer in 2-3 days, schedule an appointment with your doctor just to be safe.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Long live Nutrasweet! You people will have to pry the empty Diet Mtn Dew cans from my cold, dead hands!

Splenda, Stevia and the rest of that stuff gives me a terrible upset stomach (cramping, gas, etc.).
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a protein powder without any artificial sweetener( I try to avoid them as they give me severe migraines, not just aspartame but suclarose as well) . I went to GNC and the guy working there said that because of all the problems people have been experiencing with aspartame most of the companies have switched over to suclarose or stevia in their products, so there must be a lot of problems with aspartame for the companies to have switched.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I use the simpler "urine test". Obviously not relevant for people with specific medical conditions, but most of us are good with it:

Clear, no color - you're an overachiever, and don't need to be drinking as much water as you do.
    Pale yellow - Perfect.
    Bright yellow - Drink an extra glass or two today and check again tomorrow.
    Medium yellow, darker, or any sign of cloudiness - Drink an extra FEW glasses today and check again tomorrow. If it's not lighter and clearer in 2-3 days, schedule an appointment with your doctor just to be safe.
    I've had "fluorescent yellow" pee from ingesting a few "Animal Pack" vitamins even though I've drank a ton of water! But mostly agree with what you say.

IDEA Fitness member
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options