Question about bread!

Options
This always confuses me.
This afternoon I went out for lunch and I had a club sandwich which includes 3 thin slices of white bread, toasted, no crust.
I tried to search the calories of this, but it really confuses me, it always does.
1 Person says toasted bread has like 50% of the calories, another person says it completely the same..

MFP says 3 normal slices of white bread, no crust = around 100 kcal, while 3 normal slices go up to around 300.
What do I have to do now?
I know toasting takes the water out which makes the bread lighter, but does that also mean less calories a slice?
And how about eating no crust?

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Toasting won't remove any of the wheat flour or sugar in the bread that are providing the calories, just the water. Can't imagine toasting bread will change the calorie content, just make it lighter.

Trimming off the crust removes part of the bread, so that's definitely taking some calories out. But it would have to be weighed before toasting to know how much was really removed, and compare that to the calories in the whole slice.

Personal opinion, and I do try to err on the high side for my calories logged, put it in the log as 3 slices of white bread. Maybe call it 2.5 slices or something like that if you have a feel for how much was removed with the crusts. I would not count the toasting as a benefit.
  • xElineeee
    xElineeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you so much! :)
  • Davedwin
    Davedwin Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm looking into this as well, but think I may know the answer (trying to confirm). The way they measure calories is by burning the food and measuring how much energy it gives off. When we toast our bread, some of those calories are probably lost in the "burning" process. I switched to tortilla shells to cut a few calories, but considering this I may switch to toasted bread. 1 burrito sized (12 inch) tortilla shell is listed as 170 calories, but two slices of toasted bread are only ~140.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    http://healthylifebread.com/

I use this at home 35 calories a slice. They also make a sugar free one thats 40 cal.