Late Night Snacking Issue

Options
So the only times I can work out is at night. And I have made it a goal to not eat past 8, but now after working out I get soo hungry!! So what some thoughts on good late night snacks that I can eat without sabotaging my diet!??!!?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    So the only times I can work out is at night. And I have made it a goal to not eat past 8, but now after working out I get soo hungry!! So what some thoughts on good late night snacks that I can eat without sabotaging my diet!??!!?

Not eating after 8 is tough. If you're counting calories, why not reorganize so you have some left over for a late night snack?
  • xiaxiong09
    xiaxiong09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I only limit myself to eat past 8 over the weekends! and I am counting calories but Im scared that eating past 8 will slow down my metabolism!
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    when i end up having to workout later than i like, i usually have a glass of chocolate milk - acts as a great recovery drink and fills me up.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I only limit myself to eat past 8 over the weekends! and I am counting calories but Im scared that eating past 8 will slow down my metabolism!

As long as you're controlling your total food intake for the day, you've got nothing to worry about. You can literally eat right before bed and be fine. The idea that late night eating causes fat gain (assuming correct total food intake) is a complete myth.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I need to, and at any time. Eating past a certain time at night has yet to affect me. Maybe it's just me, but I control my intake / burn of calories so it doesn't matter when I eat.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

It won't. Really. It won't.

You need to feed your body when it needs to be fed. If you're working out after 8, you NEED TO EAT AFTER 8 or you're not feeding that workout properly and THAT will have a lot more effect on your metabolism than some mythical property about calories that after 7:59:59PM they all turn into little metabolism-bashing faeries.

Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're dry, it's not the timing that makes you fat it's the overall quantity and quality of your food in the long term.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    I like to have a bowl of oatmeal or a protein shake before bed
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I make sure I leave enough calories for a late night snack: I usually have 2 medium soft-boiled eggs and 2 Jacquet toasts (tiny Melba toast type things that you can get in Waitrose) at about 9pm. It comes to about 200 calories. I haven't suffered from the midnight munches for ages because of this.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You need to eat something after working out to replenish your muscles and your body. Something ligtht with a 4:1, carb to protein ratio is ideal. An apple with a small handful of almonds; carrots and hummus, chocolate milk, a piece of fruit and a lowfat string cheese - just to name a few options. Factor them in to your calories so you don't go over your daily total and you'll be fine.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    And I have made it a goal to not eat past 8, but now after working out I get soo hungry!!

Unnecessary handicap. Why do this to yourself? Are you after self-improvement or self-torture?
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Your metabolism does not slow down due to eating past a certain time.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The idea that late night eating causes fat gain (assuming correct total food intake) is a complete myth.

The idea that late night eating causes weight gain on the next morning's weigh-in (which is what my wife likes to point to as evidence) is not mythical at all. But that's because I haven't necessarily pooped out all the detritus from last night's snack yet. Colon content weight shows on the scale, sadly, and I suspect that's where this myth largely came from.

I routinely eat after 8, sometimes after 9, and often as late as 10. It's quite often the sugariest snack of my day (wine and extra-dark chocolate chips, generally). I've also arrived home very late on several occasions after bicycling and been unable to eat a large meal until 8:30 or 9:00 PM. I'll sit there wolfing down a 2,500 calorie meal to try and make up for a 5-hour bike ride, and my wife will always lecture me about late eating.

Sure enough, the next morning, the scale's up 2-3 pounds. Then, mid-morning, I have an earth-shattering "movement in B-Flat with musical splashing accompaniments", and the day after that the scale's right back where it should be.
  • xiaxiong09
    Options
    OMG thanks for the advises guys! It really helps because people keep telling me to cut off eating times and so I just thought thats what best for dieting!
  • xiaxiong09
    Options
    And I have made it a goal to not eat past 8, but now after working out I get soo hungry!!

Unnecessary handicap. Why do this to yourself? Are you after self-improvement or self-torture?

I'm not sure maybe both?? This is my first time seriously dieting so Im very new at it and with so many voices telling me what to do and what not to do im just not sure whats true and whats not anymore!!!