Do HRM/MFP calories include BMR?

Options
limex
limex Posts: 81 Member
Does the calories from my HRM include my BMR for that period of time? So lets say it says 150 calories, and my BMR for that period would have been 50. Should I log 100 calories?

What about when I add in exercise from MFP? If I type in a 30 min walk on MFP, it says 100 - is that net of my BMR? I have a feeling this may be the case, because my fitbit says my 30 min walk burned 190 calories (seems very high), but MFP says it should be closer to 100 for a 30 min walk. That's the only explanation I can think of for such a large discrepency...although even if that's the case, it's a pretty big difference...

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering this
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert on the matter, but your body is going to burn the BMR calories regardless of working out. The calorie readings from the HRM or MFP are just that, the amount of calories burned in that time frame.

veeeerrryyyyyy interesting question though.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering the same thing - I usually underestimate my workouts and over estimate my caloric consumption to offset just in case. It would be nice to know an official answer though - have you contacted the company who made your HRM?

Follow up - I just searched the internet and it appears that some HRM's do account for BMR and others do not. My guess is that if it was a feature you could set up it probably does, but if not then it probably does not.