Tennis Elbow / Tedonitis

Options
So I find myself dealing with Tennis Elbow - most likely the result of a combination of overtraining and RSI from the computer keyboard (I am an IT geek). I have adjusted my work habits, dialed back the workouts, eliminated arm workouts from my rotation, eliminated back exercises because they engage the bicep too much, now I have eliminated deadlifts because they engage the forearm too much. All of this has done next to nothing to reduce the pain and restore normal operation. I have not had a normal workout in more than a month.

I have come to the conclusion that I have to eliminate lifting 100% for at least a few weeks because simply loading the plates stresses my elbow. I hate the hamster wheels, but I can't just sit on the couch for a few weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to keep fitness level up?

Replies

• heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I spend far too much time on a computer at work too. I'd say check your posture while using the keyboard and mouse, make sure your comfortable because that is a big contributor to tendonitis. I don't know how working the bicep would cause a problem, the bicep helps support the elbow's flexion. It's more likely that tricep work is causing elbow tendonitis. Before dropping exercises what did your typical workout look like?
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have the exact same issue right now, decided that I'm just going to hit the cardio for the next 3 weeks. I can squat using the smith machine and do Leg Press and crunches in the meantime too though.

If it isn't any better after 3 weeks I better go see a doc about it.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's time to go to the doctor. They can test it and see if you simply need to do certain things to rehab it OR if surgery is needed. My sister had issues with her ulnar nerve, and she ended up in a soft cast to keep her arm from pinching the nerve until it chilled the heck out.

In the meanwhile, focus on doing cardio and leg-work.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Actually, your instinct to cut back on exercise is counterproductive. You will end up losing muscle mass in the arm, and range of motion and stability in the elbow.
    Here's the course of treatment for tennis elbow: If the pain is unbearable, get a cortisone shot. Then some Physical Therapy (don't just do the shot, it's a bandaid and will eventually jack the elbow up worse long term). Then strength train.

I have had this happen to me. I wrenched mine working firewood. I got the shot, the dr. didn't prescribe PT and I thought it was fine.. then I wrenched it again (because I hadn't had PT and wasn't any stronger, so I reinjured).. Another shot.. a few months of relief, then it began hurting again. Now it's chronic. I'll live with at least some slight discomfort the rest of my life.. but I finally just went to an orthopedic dr. to get it fixed. He DID NOT give me another shot.. he prescribed PT. While in PT, I asked my therapist if I could tear the joint up working it (Pain does not tend to be the deterrent to me that it is to others.) She assured me that I could not tear the joint up, that exercise was best for it to strengthen the muscles around the joint to hold it in place better, and that is what eases the strain on the tendon. If I didn't participate in strengthening exercises, I'd eventually lose function in the shoulder too.

I began powerlifting again, and whatever other strength training I could get squeezed in my schedule. And lo and behold, after three years of pain in the elbow and shots not helping.. the weight training fixed it. Sometimes I have a dull ache in it, but it never comes anywhere close to impeding my function of the arm.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Ladymuscles. Also you may want to try taking vitamin B6. It always helps me when mine kick up. I also suffer from carpal tunnle syndorme and the B6 really hepls a lot when I get a flare up. God luck! :smile:
  • heylatimer
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Before the issue arose my workout consisted of workouts 3 times a week. A typical gym session was 1hr in length.

Day 1: Squats, Deadlifts, Stiffleged Deadlifts, Standing Calf raises, Planks and weighted crunches
    Day 2: Barbell Rows, Wide grip Lat-pulldowns, Seated Rows, Close grip chinups, EZ curls, Tricep pressdown, dumbell curls, skullcrushers.
    Day 3: Chest press, Incline Press, Standing Military Press, Upright rows, Shoulder flies, Side planks and mountain climbers.

All reps are pretty much 5 sets at 5 reps.

I figured it was my Day2 routine that caused me grief as all the back stuff engages a lot of arms then I hit them again. I could see the skullcrushers being a bad one. Since the issue arose I am icing my arm after every workout as just moving the plates causes irritating pain. As far as nutrition, I am taking Orange Triad as a multi plus Fish Oil daily so B6 is there along with other joint 'fuel'.

I want to workout through it but just not sure. I am seeing my dr. today - not sure what his feedback will be.
  • BamaJ22
    BamaJ22 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had the same problem, purchased a elbow sleeve with the Tennis Elbow strap to wear during workouts and it completely went away. Just a thought.
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm guessing it was the skullcrushers that jacked your elbow up.

Gotta watch that movement.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it was the skullcrushers that jacked your elbow up.

Gotta watch that movement.

Yeah, between the pressdowns and the skullcrushers that's the likely culprit. Honestly you could probably add back in everything else and then take some time off from the direct tricep work. The rowing and bicep work should not be affecting your elbow like that. A stronger bicep will only support the elbow better.

The three pressing exercises will give sufficient tricep work for the time being and then in a couple weeks you can add back in some work. One thing with the direct tricep work is that it's a good idea to rotate exercises every three weeks. When you work back-in the tricep work start with something like, Rope extensions for moderate weight say 10 reps. If everything feels good then you can add back-in the 2nd tricep exercise for heavier weight.
  • heylatimer
    Options
    Thanks,
    I just got back from the dr. He suspected tricep movements too. He is recommending ice and a tennis elbow brace. He says keep the curls and tricep exercises out. I can keep doing anything else that doesnt 'hurt'. He also gave me a few exercises to strengthen the forearm muscles - basically wrist curls.

He said give it 2 weeks, if there is no improvement or pain worsens, 2 weeks of Celebrex, then after that PT. He says I won't need the drugs though - that is why he didnt prescribe them now.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I am having trouble with either golfer's or tennis elbow. Possibly both...I really should probably give in and go to the doctor. For a while I was waking up in terrible pain because my habit is to sleep with my arm crooked. Started wearing something to prevent that so I'm at least not waking up miserable, but I'm rather tired of the rest of the pain.