put a kg in an hour!!

Options
got up this morning and weighed myself - had a glass of water, and two hot drinks and now I weigh 1kg more. Fed up - weight has maintained since last week but obviously has gone up by a kilo now.

Replies

• LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Drinks have got to weigh something. You can't put food and drink into your body and not gain weight instantly from it. Stop weighing after every drink and meal, try for once a week when you've first got up and after the loo.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    When you eat or drink your weight goes up. When you go to the toilet your weight goes down

But its not real weight, its more like clothes
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    If you drink 500 mL of water, your scale weight will go up about 1 lb. If you pee 500 mL, your scale weight will go down about 1 lb. This is why people advocate getting up in the morning, going to the bathroom, and then weighing before eating anything. Because scale weight is a combination of your weight and how much additional anything is in your body, including the water you drank and the food you are still digesting.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    got up this morning and weighed myself - had a glass of water, and two hot drinks and now I weigh 1kg more. Fed up - weight has maintained since last week but obviously has gone up by a kilo now.

1 pint of water weighs 1 lb.

You drink a pint of water and you will instantly be 1lb heavier, but unless you ate 7000 calories over your maintenance it ain't fat.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Of COURSE you did - you drank a kg of liquid! Where was it meant to go?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

It is very important that you stop weighing yourself so frequently and moreover you REALLY need to focus on long term trends and not daily and CERTAINLY not intra-day weight fluctuations or you're going to drive yourself totally nuts.

Day to day weight fluctuations are meaningless .

I would put your scale away for a week or two.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Wow.

Everything in the physical world has mass. If you put something into your body, like a bunch of liquid, the scale is going to reflect your weight and the weight of the contents of your GI tract.

You can't put on a pound of fat in an hour.
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh myself everyday or I lose track, I also have to have clocks and watches around me all the time or I lose track of time too. As long as it stays near the same or goes up and down a little by the end of the week I usually know which way I'm headed. I stayed off the scale for over a month and put on 20 lbs. If you have to weigh yourself everyday like me, use an average over the past 5 days or so like I do.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh myself everyday or I lose track, I also have to have clocks and watches around me all the time or I lose track of time too. As long as it stays near the same or goes up and down a little by the end of the week I usually know which way I'm headed. I stayed off the scale for over a month and put on 20 lbs. If you have to weigh yourself everyday like me, use an average over the past 5 days or so like I do.

Just wanted to say that you have one of the most awesome ticker pics that I have seen!
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Some people might have different opinions about it. But I weigh yourself everyday at roughly the same time (on empty stomach in the mornings) and keep a track through an app. Do not look into individual figure but look at the trends. e.g. the app I am using is "monitor my weight" and there would be couple of other free apps as well. The apps show graphs/trend lines etc so that is helpful.
    Again, I would stress that do not focus too much on one day's figures but the trends. For me, its more data and more data, I have, the better I can understand (to a limit) that what causes weight fluctuations. e.g. if I had a take away (high sodium) my weight next day spikes up. I do not panic as I know it will go away in a day or two etc etc.

Hope this helps.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You drank three things... you can't expect your weight to stay the same or go down.

Everything you do in a day changes your weight. Don't stress over the daily changes... DON'T weigh yourself so often if it bugs you to see the changes. You won't always lose
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    People need to understand this: It's fluctuation, not a REAL gain. Don't eat/drink something and go weigh yourself, that's a way to get the most inaccurate results. You weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you eat/drink anything.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You're kidding, right? You really thought that the liquid you put into your body had no weight? Did it not weigh something as you lifted it to your mouth? -- Until it makes its way back OUT of your body, it will weigh something while it's INSIDE there. Non-caloric beverages should have no lasting effect on your weight, as long as they are not laden with sodium.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a thyroid issue.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a thyroid issue.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks I needed that!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    hahaha!! :)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    are you serious
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I swear these are the silliest post! Your body weight will vary on a daily basis. More so after you eat or drink. The food/liquids you consume have a weight value. Where do you think that goes once you consume them?
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Weighing multiple times a day is a recipe for insanity. Trust me. :P Keep in mind some folks only step on a scale once a week and they're losing weight. The number changes throughout the day - food intake/expulsion, water weight, wearing/not wearing clothes...

Don't fret. If you want to do it daily, just stick with once in the morning before breakfast and leave it at that.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I was holding my cat this morning when I weighed in, and I had gained 10 pounds overnight!!