Hi...trying to lose prednisone weight

Options
Hi..I gained 35 pounds while on prednisone (from 9/2009 to 2/2010) after being diagnosed with Rheumatiod Arthritis in both hands and left elbow. Now that I'm feeling more like myself, it's time to get back in shape.

Replies

• Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh, so sorry you're dealing with RA. I don't know much about it but my Grandmother had it so there's a chance I will too at some point. I do know it's very painful. If I'm not mistaken, exercise is good for RA if you're able to. Glad you joined MFP - there are a lot of very supportive people here. I'll send you a friend request :flowerforyou: Add me if you'd like.
  • bronzegemini
    bronzegemini Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was on prednisone for 7 months (January to July) many years ago. My spleen was destroying my platelet cells and I was diagnosed with ITP. I went from 123lbs to 195. After 7 months and surgery to remove my spleen, I no longer took prednisone and the weight slowly melted away. I never got back to 123, but I was happy with the 135. It will melt away...it just takes time. But exercise and property eating will of course contribute.

Good luck!!!!!
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just started prednisone this week for vasculitis. Not sure what I have just yet hoping it isn't lupus or RA, but you gained weight from prednisone? I see that it was 35 pounds...what do you think was the trigger eating more or just feeling general malaise and not having energy to workout? Just curious...don't know how long I will have to be on it and I am a bit concerned.
  • yvettegu
    yvettegu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • dhays888
    dhays888 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you! You are correct about both. It's hereditary and movement (exercise) is good. With the right medication combo the nasty symptoms can be controlled fairly well.
  • dhays888
    dhays888 Posts: 5
    Options
    It's the nature of this drug. Every time I've had to take it in the past I have always gained weight and once I had the "moon" face. I do hope and pray you don't have lupus or ra.
  • Des0528
    Des0528 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ugh!!! I have asthma and from time to time I get put on Prednisone. I hate the stuff. It always makes me eat soooo much :(
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just started prednisone this week for vasculitis. Not sure what I have just yet hoping it isn't lupus or RA, but you gained weight from prednisone? I see that it was 35 pounds...what do you think was the trigger eating more or just feeling general malaise and not having energy to workout? Just curious...don't know how long I will have to be on it and I am a bit concerned.

Prednisone generally does not cause the weight issues if you are on it for the short-term (the initial surge and then the month long reduction). However, over a longer period of time it tends to cause weight gain and a fair amount of fluid buildup. Lots of other not so great side effects as well. My wife was given it for vasculitus (hives) and it controlled them initially, but she could not back off from the prednisone without the symptoms returning. After nearly 3 years, she insisted that aomeone find her some way to ween her off of it.

It caused more than a 50 pound weight gain, most of which she lost over time
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I hope the same thing. I go back to the doctor on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for me! On a weight loss note...I did a no sugar fast for 10 days last month and lost 7 pounds! Really hard not going to lie but so worth it. Maybe something like that can help kick start your weight loss.
  • lmocha
    lmocha Posts: 16
    Options
    I was on prednisone @ 10 yrs also for ITP and had to take prior to my speen being removed. Def. retained water/gained weight!
    I was on it for @ 4 months...even my Dr did not like the medication , but it was necessary to build up my platelets for surgery to have spleen taken out. I put on @ 20 lbs during that time, but looked like more especially in the face. She weened me off asap following surgery.

Good luck...hopefully it won't be long-term!