breakfast calorie dilema!

Options
Normally i eat porridge with a topping of something like raisins or dried cranberries, i know porridge is good for you but the totals are around 350 calories and i know big breakfasts are good because you can burn it off but i dont have time for a proper work out so i dont think i need this many calories which is a shame as i do like porridge. So my questiong is, any tips on how to reduce the calories of the porridge/ are cereals an ok substitue eg a bowl of cornflakes at 150 calories or so, is this better for me? thankyou!

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a smaller bowl of porridge/oatmeal or reduce or eliminate the toppings. A half cup of dry oats is 150 calories, and if made with water that makes a LOT of porridge. Try it with cinnamon (adds iron and calcium in addition to flavor). Add 70 calories for a hard-boiled egg if you want more protein.

Processed cereals are never going to be better for you than porridge, and I guarantee they won't keep you full nearly as long.
  • emptyplate
    emptyplate Posts: 62
    Options
    Thats true they dont, i tried having cornflakes today and had to get another bowl because it just didn't go to anything. Thankyou, that sounds manageable, so half a cup? if i do that and add maybe a tablespoon of porridge that will only be around 200 calories. Brilliant thankyou!
  • bartleby9
    bartleby9 Posts: 30
    Options
    Maybe try a fat free yogurt porridge mix. Use the porridge as a topping to the yogurt. That way you get plenty of protein and not so many carbs. And you still get a topping :) Also, fresh fruit rather than raisins has more fiber and less sugars so it's a bit healthier for you and is supposedly more filling.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Have half a bowl of porridge with fresh fruit instead of dried fruit. If that doesn't hold you off, try some flax oil or flax meal mixed in (or any healthy fat or nuts), and/or some protein powder. Think small portions, as those also have calories.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I think your 350 calorie breakfast is fine. If you like it and it keeps you full, its really not alot of calories for the first meal of the day........keep up the good work!:bigsmile:
  • deenie169
    deenie169 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If porridge= oatmeal, it's only 150 calories per half cup dry, so try to figure out what the calorie count for the dried fruit is...maybe cut it in half, so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself? You could also try cinnamon (as another poster noted) or nutmeg or even just a tablespoon of real maple syrup or honey for a little bit of flavor.
    I'm more a fan of having what I like, but just less of it.

Also, I'm pretty OK with eating a larger breakfast, since I can always make my lunch or dinner smaller. Take it easy on yourself so that you can enjoy your success!
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above, try eating half the amount and add a egg for protein.
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I get tesco value porridge and make it up with water, and it's 190cals for a HUGE bowl- I struggle to eat it (although I don't love porridge,its more of a when-i-run-out-of-food thing for me) :smile:
  • mimiclown
    mimiclown Posts: 32
    Options
    I eat eggbeaters with ham and fat free cheese or low cal oatmeal.
  • heatherina1983
    Options
    porridge is the only thing that fills me up enough to get me through till lunch so I do think portion control is the way to go. But perhaps try reducing it gradually. If I tried halving it i'd end up needing to snack.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Thats true they dont, i tried having cornflakes today and had to get another bowl because it just didn't go to anything. Thankyou, that sounds manageable, so half a cup? if i do that and add maybe a tablespoon of porridge that will only be around 200 calories. Brilliant thankyou!

Another idea (though it will up the calories a bit) is "overnight porridge" or "refrigerator oatmeal", which is simply equal parts old fashioned dry oats and yogurt with a splash of milk. Mix the ingredients, give them a stir, and leave in the fridge overnight. In the morning, just eat it (or warm it up if you like).

I add peanut butter and cinnamon to mine - even more protein and adds some nice flavor.

It comes pretty close to your current breakfast in terms of calories, but I guarantee it will keep you full and fueled for the long haul, and it's so incredibly easy to make and tastes magnificent.

Focus on QUALITY of calories for your breakfast instead of QUANTITY. Sugar will never fill you up. Complex carbohydrates, fat, and protein will. You'll get more mileage out of a calorie of protein than any carbohydrate, but you need carbohydrates. That's why oatmeal is such a great breakfast food (by no means perfect, but pretty good when you add some protein). It's heavy in complex carbs to fill you up fast, and the protein will keep you fueled properly for a while.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think 350 cals for breakfast is fine, nothing to do with working out in the mornings.

You could reduce the portion size (but you know what you need to fill you), and experiement with water/ milk mixtures, and with fresh instead of dried fruit. But most experts agree that porridge is a great start to the day!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    You could also try cinnamon (as another poster noted) or nutmeg or even just a tablespoon of real maple syrup or honey for a little bit of flavor.

Cinnamon has a few significant advantages as a flavoring.

First, it's fairly high in iron and calcium - two things that most ladies tend to struggle with (even just a teaspoon is 5% of your iron and 3% of your calcium - not a HUGE amount but not shabby for a mere spice!).

Second, it's an appetite suppressant and helps regulate blood sugar so you'll feel full longer. When I had craving problems before I upped my proteins and reduced my carbs, cinnamon gum was about the only thing that helped.

Third, it adds massive amounts of flavor for almost no calories (6 calories a teaspoon).

I've been experimenting with creative ways to eat more cinnamon.

Cinnamon + Oats + Protein = you will not go hungry.

I've even experimented with putting whey protein powder in oatmeal, but I like refrigerator oatmeal better and I'll happily use the calories for something I enjoy more. :wink:
  • cwinottawa
    cwinottawa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could reduce the quantity of oats you use to 1/3 cup, and add some oat bran (1/4 cup). You'd be upping the fiber and lowering the calories a little. I just add a tsp of sugar or syrup on mine, insterad of fruit, which has more calories and sugar. For the milk, I use unsweetened almond milk which is lower cal than milk.

Good luck!
  • emptyplate
    emptyplate Posts: 62
    Options
    The cinamon you guys mention , would powder do? i really hate the taste but i'd be willing to give it a go however i don't have the fresh - if there is one - version?

Thanks, i will try mixing things up a bit. Making it with water and measuring the oats properly.How much wtaer do you tend to use?
    thankyou everyone
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think 350 cals for breakfast is fine, nothing to do with working out in the mornings.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Is there a particular reason you want to reduce the number of calories you're consuming for breakfast?
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    smaller portion - remove the dried fruit lots of calories - replace with nuts for protein you will feel more full and have a crunch at the same time with the nuts. .:smile:

also add a small snack mid-day like 1 cup of carrots, or a sliced cucumber or some other veggie you like. I find I need the crunch factor to make me think I am eating lots when the calories are just not there.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    350 cals is not alot for breakfast. How tall are you and how many cals you you eating?
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I saute onion and mushrooms in olive oil, and then add 2 scrambled eggs = about 250 calories.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love oatmeal in the mornings and do not feel guilty about the cals or carbs. I think they are fine since oatmeal has such a high fiber content. I say keep doing what you are doing. I would probably just drop my carbs at lunch if you feel you are getting too many or this is impeding your weight loss.