Working out in a small space?

Options
I live in a very small apartment, so I don't have a lot of space to spare. I've got two small kids which makes the space more confined. I can't afford a gym membership, and it's hot as hell out side.

So, people who are in a similar situation, what do you do for exercises (especially strength training) in a small place?

Replies

• srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a small area to work out in too, so I try to have enough room in front of me, behind me, left of me, and to the right of me to do a lunge. Then I start one of my workout DVDs, lately it's one of Jillian Michaels. All you need is room to do pushups, and lunges (front and back lunges) and you will notice after a week or 2 of starting one of her DVDs, you are stronger. I also will do Zumba in a small space, but I wont do any of the traveling moves like they do, I will just do them in one spot.
  • MommaGgame
    Options
    Do you have Netflix? I too have a small apartment. I find that the "crunch" videos are AMAZING!!! I've tried Boot Camp and Candle light Yoga so far. Both made me feel it afterwards!!! I also use cans as weights because I can't afford to go buy some real ones right now. I find that it helps! I do pushups, crunches, overhead presses, and dips easily around my small space. I use a chair for dips. Let me know if you try it and how your experience was! Best of Luck!
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of room, either. I bought a rock-stepper that I love to use while watching TV or reading - it's absolutely quiet and only takes up the amount of room you need to stand on. It's been a god-send every winter when I can't get outside to walk, and very inexpensive.

Other than that, we use free weights at home and don't need a lot of space for them, either. I hope our exercise bike (with arms, kind of a pre-elliptical) never dies because all of the new ones seem HUGE!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!