The Aspartame Thread

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a protein powder without any artificial sweetener( I try to avoid them as they give me severe migraines, not just aspartame but suclarose as well) . I went to GNC and the guy working there said that because of all the problems people have been experiencing with aspartame most of the companies have switched over to suclarose or stevia in their products, so there must be a lot of problems with aspartame for the companies to have switched.
    The "GNC" guy isn't the best resource for info. I'm sure he'll tell you that all the supplements in that store have a legitimate use even though most supplements only attribute about 1% to any diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    There are a smattering of threads across MFP forums that touch on the benefits and detriments of aspartame. I think it would make sense to have one main thread.

What I'm hoping to start here is a conversation about the benefits and detriments of aspartame. Whether or not you think it tastes good is not particularly relevant (unless you have some larger point to make, such as your dislike of aspartame makes it difficult to buy food because so many of them contain it, or something).

Please, well thought out and considerate posts only. There are loads of conversations that casually bash aspartame with explaining or backing up the statements, or state things like "well I'm going to drink it anyway!!!" so we don't need another one!

I'm on the side of pro/wait and see. I wrote this is another thread so I'll copy it to here...

I admit that in 20 years ANYTHING could be the next asbestos (that's the point right? we don't neccesarily see it coming and the initial science can be flawed/wrong) but I found a peer-reviewed article from 2007 regarding the safety of aspartame. For those interested, here's the abstract:

Aspartame is a methyl ester of a dipeptide used as a synthetic nonnutritive sweetener in over 90 countries worldwide in over 6000 products. The purpose of this investigation was to review the scientific literature on the absorption and metabolism, the current consumption levels worldwide, the toxicology, and recent epidemiological studies on aspartame. Current use levels of aspartame, even by high users in special subgroups, remains well below the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Food Safety Authority established acceptable daily intake levels of 50 and 40 mg/kg bw/day, respectively. Consumption of large doses of aspartame in a single bolus dose will have an effect on some biochemical parameters, including plasma amino acid levels and brain neurotransmitter levels. The rise in plasma levels of phenylalanine and aspartic acid following administration of aspartame at doses less than or equal to 50 mg/kg bw do not exceed those observed postprandially. Acute, subacute and chronic toxicity studies with aspartame, and its decomposition products, conducted in mice, rats, hamsters and dogs have consistently found no adverse effect of aspartame with doses up to at least 4000 mg/kg bw/day. Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.

Magnuson BA, Burdock GA, Doull J et al. (2007). "Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies". Critical Reviews in Toxicology 37 (8): 629–727. DOI:10.1080/10408440701516184. PMID 17828671.

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184

to clarify, the aforementioned 50mg daily top dose "That equates to about 20 cans of 12-ounce diet soda" according to this (admittedly nonscientific) website: http://aromatherapy4u.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/diet-soda-aspartame-and-one-womans-quest-to-discover-the-truth/

anyone have different ideas? have read different things?

There are no benefits other than it has no calories. Period.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I very much appreciate that you TRIED to keep this to actual scientific study only. So long as you do you'll continue to find that aspartame is harmless.

Some people don't like that answer. So they say "it has chemicals!!" as if everything doesn't have chemicals. Let me say that again so everyone understands. EVERYTHING IS MADE OF CHEMICALS.

Or they pretend that companies that make food are evil. Sorry, I don't have the time to grow everything I eat just now.

They pretend it kills people with zero evidence to back up their claim. The height of ignorance.

Anecdotal evidence = pretty much nothing.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have an opinion on this:

First of all, whether or not something is beneficial seems like an almost orthorexic way to approach your food decisions. There's another element that should be considered when deciding what to eat or drink, and that's pleasure.

I'm not suggesting that people eat or drink with no regard to their health, far from it. But I AM suggesting that viewing food exclusively as a source of energy seems unhealthy.

There's a massive difference between something that "isn't harmful at low dosages" and something that "is beneficial". There's no harm in consuming reasonable dosages of things that are not beneficial.

Until someone has evidence that aspartame, or any other food ingredient, is harmful at even the lowest possible dose, then I wouldn't worry about it assuming you're not chugging a case of diet pop a day.

To me this is common sense.

EDIT: I have no idea what dosage threshold of aspartame (if any) is harmful, but it seems awfully unreasonable to suggest that 1 sip of diet soda will kill me.

So what you are saying is everything in moderation?
  • clioratha
    clioratha Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can't add anything other than my own self as a data point - I generally avoid aspartame in drinks because I get headaches and nausea from it. And it doesn't take much of a diet soda (or even a zero-calorie flavored water) to do that. But even things like gums and medicines have aspartame in, so I have to be mindful. Fortunately there's always the "phenylketoneurics: contains phenylalanine" warning on the label, so you don't have to weed through a billion ingredients to see if aspartame is one.

I'm not saying aspartame is good or bad, only that I personally react adversely. I can handle splenda and stevia just fine. I know people who handle aspartame fine and can't stomach splenda. So YMMV. I just avoid diet sodas and drink water or tea instead.:drinker:

(Of course, if they ever come out with a diet dr. pepper with splenda, I'm probably sunk! :laugh: )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    I very much appreciate that you TRIED to keep this to actual scientific study only. So long as you do you'll continue to find that aspartame is harmless.

Some people don't like that answer. So they say "it has chemicals!!" as if everything doesn't have chemicals. Let me say that again so everyone understands. EVERYTHING IS MADE OF CHEMICALS.

Or they pretend that companies that make food are evil. Sorry, I don't have the time to grow everything I eat just now.

They pretend it kills people with zero evidence to back up their claim. The height of ignorance.

Lol, Brett..................people are going to hit the "ignore" button on you. I've actually had people PM telling me that when science proves statements correct.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I like my aspartame with a little booze mixed in it. Yum!
  • violetismysoul
    Options
    I posted a question about this topic earlier this week and here is a copy, just an intro into what information I have discovered.

"I have been reading lately about the harm artificial sweeteners can do to your body. For example, the chemical aspartame is used in diet coke, Snapple, and other diet/healthy drinks and I have discovered several articles about, when consumed for a long period of time, the substitute builds up inside your system and begins to poison it. In one of the articles, a women had gained exessive weight, though already beinging heavy, and lost the ability of mobility. She was exhausted all of the time and was unable to accomplish simple things like walking or sitting up. She became an awake vegetable. She went to plenty of doctors and stumped them all concerning what was causing her illness. One day her sister called her after reading an article about aspartame and diet drinks like diet coke, dr. pepper, etc. The sister told her to immediatly stop drinking diet cokes. In less than 32 hours the immobile woman could walk again. What had happened was that her body had been slowly poisoned with aspartame.

Aspartame is also known to cause:
    blindness in one or both eyes
    dizziness
    depression
    virtigo
    seizures
    slurring of speech
    high blood pressure
    hives
    gradual weight gain
    loss of control of diabetes
    exessive thirst
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects
    lupus
    chronic fatigue syndrome
    cancer
    etc
    the list goes on and on

So I was wondering, since I would wish and encourage others to avoid these problems, what artificial sweeteners are "okay" to
    use as substitutions for sugar. Is Splenda okay? Sweet n' Low?

Here is a link to one of the websites that confronts and informs readers about aspartame, for credibility purposes.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html "
  • BrettPGH
    Options

Lol, Brett..................people are going to hit the "ignore" button on you. I've actually had people PM telling me that when science proves statements correct.

IDEA Fitness member

God I hope they do. I don't have time for people who ignore science on the internet.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Two words compelled me to look into the history of Aspartame...Donald Rumsfeld. Dude is responsible for more death and destruction than the plague.

One day, it will be common knowledge that it's harmful...just like BPA, DDT, Agent Orange, PCBs, etc etc.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    I posted a question about this topic earlier this week and here is a copy, just an intro into what information I have discovered.

"I have been reading lately about the harm artificial sweeteners can do to your body. For example, the chemical aspartame is used in diet coke, Snapple, and other diet/healthy drinks and I have discovered several articles about, when consumed for a long period of time, the substitute builds up inside your system and begins to poison it. In one of the articles, a women had gained exessive weight, though already beinging heavy, and lost the ability of mobility. She was exhausted all of the time and was unable to accomplish simple things like walking or sitting up. She became an awake vegetable. She went to plenty of doctors and stumped them all concerning what was causing her illness. One day her sister called her after reading an article about aspartame and diet drinks like diet coke, dr. pepper, etc. The sister told her to immediatly stop drinking diet cokes. In less than 32 hours the immobile woman could walk again. What had happened was that her body had been slowly poisoned with aspartame.

Aspartame is also known to cause:
    blindness in one or both eyes
    dizziness
    depression
    virtigo
    seizures
    slurring of speech
    high blood pressure
    hives
    gradual weight gain
    loss of control of diabetes
    exessive thirst
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects
    lupus
    chronic fatigue syndrome
    cancer
    etc
    the list goes on and on

So I was wondering, since I would wish and encourage others to avoid these problems, what artificial sweeteners are "okay" to
    use as substitutions for sugar. Is Splenda okay? Sweet n' Low?

Here is a link to one of the websites that confronts and informs readers about aspartame, for credibility purposes.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html "

But these side effects clearly don't affect everyone. And you see identical lists for over the counter medications like hayfever or cold relief tablets!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

Yup. Anecdotes <> data.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    l love apartame! It goes great with MSG.

:laugh:
  • dolldreams
    Options
    For those of you that are influenced by what celebs have to say on things, here's what Jillian Michaels thinks about Aspartame:

"Don't touch that! Don't inhale within a foot of it!

Grabbing a sugar packet she says "that's 14 calories! That won't kill you!

Pointing to the artificial sweetener she says, "that will kill you."

From a recent interview published in July's Ladies Home Journal.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

birth defects

My wife is a high-risk OB/GYN. Most of that list is not true, but this one, is most unambiguously NOT true. There ZERO actual evidence that aspertame causes birth defects. None!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For those of you that are influenced by what celebs have to say on things, here's what Jillian Michaels thinks about Aspartame:

Jillian Michaels? Really? Hmmmm...what about Brad Pitt or Dr. Oz? Because, you know, of course, that celebrities and quacks have all the scientific backup they need to make whatever statements they want.
  • MyLuvMaya
    MyLuvMaya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking over 20 12 ounce cans of diet soda a day, there's an issue and will be an issue. However a couple of cans a day is fine AS LONG AS you're also supplying an efficient amount of water too and not letting diet soda be your main fluid intake.

IDEA Fitness member

My doctor said the same thing. He said unless you`re allergic, a few everyday is not unhealthy. He did tell me to avoid Splenda tho.
  • dolldreams
    Options

Jillian Michaels? Really? Hmmmm...what about Brad Pitt or Dr. Oz? Because, you know, of course, that celebrities and quacks have all the scientific backup they need to make whatever statements they want.

Yes, really. Some people care to follow her fitness and health advice. Maybe they care what she has to say.
  • dolldreams
    Options
    ddt_is_good_for_me-e-e.jpg

20 years from now, an advert espousing the benefits of drinking Diet Coke will seem as ridiculous.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    [Image]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/toothru/ddt_is_good_for_me-e-e.jpg[/Image]

20 years from now, an advert espousing the benefits of drinking Diet Coke will seem as ridiculous.

A. Remove the "age". Just lowercase img.

B. Since you know the future I'd appreciate winning lotto numbers.