I want to run!

Options
MaryRegs
MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
...but need to lose more weight before I begin...here's my question to you all....if you run-how did you start? I am walking every night, and working with light weights, but my goal is to be able to run. Always wanted to...and this is my chance! Anyone?

Replies

• jsam163
    jsam163 Posts: 9
    Options
    Start doing cardio that isn't hitting the pavement. Start with swimming and ellipticals because they will work your cardio without putting pressure on your joints. Then move on to a treadmill. I find that a treadmill is way easier on you body to run on than the pavement. Good for you!!
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K program (that stands for couch to 5K) it's pretty neat, you download the app on your phone or iPod and progresses you from walking to jogging of the course of weeks. Then once you're able to actually run the 5k you can work on improving your time. Good Luck
  • jenhab
    jenhab Posts: 1
    Options
    I started slowly. Very slowly. I think I started at like 7 minutes... so I would run one direction for 3.5 mins and turn around and come home... did that a few times and then added 2 mins or so to my time... I would say I added time every week. From 2 to 5 mins depending on how I was feeling. Once I got up to running for 30 mins, I mapped out a 3 mile loop and ran that. Now I run 3 - 4 miles 2 or 3 times a week.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I started by working up to walking 3 miles, then I slowly incorporated running (a minute or so more each time I went out) until I could run the entire distance.

But that's me... and I don't have a cool smart phone so I didn't do the C25K! :laugh:

Once you are comfortable with walking, then definitely try one of the C25K programs! :flowerforyou:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I started running using the Couch to 5K running program after I had been exercising regularly for 4 months and down 43 pounds. So I was 247 pounds when I started the program. I am currently on Week 6 Day 3 and I love the program. I can run for 20 minutes straight now no problem. When I first started, I could barely manage 30 seconds. If you want to run - then run! Get fitted for running shoes at a running store and have at it. I got my C25K running app for my droid from coolrunning.com. I mostly run outdoors but use the treadmill from time to time.

Good luck :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Check out the c25k program. I started it 4 weeks ago (after a lifetime of being a non-runner) and it's fantastic! I'm up to running for 15 minutes at a time and strive to increase that every time I go out!
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I started running using the Couch to 5K running program after I had been exercising regularly for 4 months and down 43 pounds. So I was 247 pounds when I started the program. I am currently on Week 6 Day 3 and I love the program. I can run for 20 minutes straight now no problem. When I first started, I could barely manage 30 seconds. If you want to run - then run! Get fitted for running shoes at a running store and have at it. I got my C25K running app for my droid from coolrunning.com. I mostly run outdoors but use the treadmill from time to time.

Good luck :)

c25k is how I started too. They have a free app for your smart phone.

Or you can go to coolrunning.com and print the interval schedule and use a watch/timer.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I started with walking, some elliptical and swimming. Once I was walking 3 miles with reasonable ease, I started to look at running.

I picked up the C25k programme, and I've been on my way ever since.

I am still significantly overweight, and was much heavier when I started running. I'm now running 13 miles on my long run, and have taken part in 3 10k races, with a half marathon coming up very soon.

I hope that's helpful, and good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started by walking and walking and walking until I could comfortably do an hour at 4.2 mph on my treadmill, and I did that for quite a while (and lost weight doing it too). When I decided to start running I bumped up the speed to a slow jog for a minute, then walked for 10 and gradually 2 minutes of running, 9 min walking and so o until I could go 10 minutes at a comfortable pace.

My real improvement kicked in when I decided it was time to train for a 5K and started running outdoors and in Sept 2009 ran my first 5K in just under 40 minutes.

The really important things to keep in mind (other than get proper shoes..) is to be consistent in your training, if you set out to walk 4 x times a week make sure that you do it. Not only does this help from a health point of view but it also gets you in the habit of being more active. The other thing is to not push your progress too quickly, most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon too fast - listen to your body, fatigue and soreness are normal, acute pain isn't.

The strength training is good too - it helps maintain lean muscle mass while you're losing weight and helps protect you from injuries.

Have fun!
  • thebrat_75
    thebrat_75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K too. Another suggestion my doctor had was to start your running in the pool. Takes the pressure of the knees and other joints and is a good workout.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options

The other thing is to not push your progress too quickly, most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon too fast - listen to your body, fatigue and soreness are normal, acute pain isn't.

**This.

Also, make sure you stretch out your legs before/after too. I noticed my legs are always more sore when I've skipped stretching.
  • MaryRegs
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I kept seeing the C25K thing and I'm going to download it-love my MFP world!!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i started running at 350. C25K and a good bra and compression shirt. have fun!
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    OH Yeah.... C25K is going to be the winner in this category... If you have a smartphone, get the app - it's free and it takes you week by week... You can play music/playlists on it - and the app has a voice interuption when it's "time to jog/run" and "time to walk"... even for your 5 minute cool down walk.

I started - couldn't run 30 seconds to save my life... well, maybe JUST to save my life. I can go a solid 3-5 minutes now... but I'm only about half-way thru the program. I've repeated weeks quite a few times; as I've never ran before in my life so this is all totally new.

Things my MFP friends have told me: Go as slow as you need to. If you can go even slower than that - go for it. Also, repeat weeks as you need to. If you can't make it the full 3 minutes; stay on that week (week 3 I think it is) - stay there until you feel you're able to move on. It says it's an 8 week program. But not for everyone. You can definitly get thru it; but take your time. :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options

But that's me... and I don't have a cool smart phone so I didn't do the C25K! :laugh:

Hey, did you know that you don't need the app to do C25K. There are plenty of podcasts and mp3 files that are done around the C25K program. Most of these have voice prompts or audio "dings" that tell you when to start running and stop running.

I used these often when I completed C25K last year. They are great for walking/power walking too, esp. if you just aren't physically up to running just yet.

Check these out:

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/
    http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/
    http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html
    http://runningmate.podomatic.com/
    http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/webpage/category/podcasts
    http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/
  • MaryRegs
    Options
    thanks so much everyone for your help and tips!!!! xoxxox