Inches off

Options
How do you lose inches off your belly, hips, thighs and arms?

Please do not say Jillian Michaels' workout dvd's. I cannot do those videos. I can't do push ups, even the "girly way" on your knees so please help!

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    By eating healthy and exercising regularly. If you can't even do the "girly" pushups, a good walk will suffice, half the battle is just getting out there.

Be ready to be in it for the long haul if you intend to do it right, but it will pay off and you'll feel all the better for it.
  • Absam2
    Absam2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A little walk each day will do plus monitoring the intake. Please do not allow yourself to feel deprived. You'll get there
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere =) So I would look into maybe getting some free weights that you can hold (or do arm exercises) while walking. The best way to lose inches is to mix cardio with strength training. =) So while I love Jillian DVDs (and she has a beginners one my mom got for herself because the others were too much) I think it is just important for you to get up and move =)
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Walking is a really good start and maybe later you can build up to the sit-ups, push-ups, and other exercises. It does take time and I'm still doing it too, so your not alone :) I have bad knees so I can't do all that jumping around.
  • chunkymonkey414
    chunkymonkey414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    These were better responses than I thought... Haha. Thanks!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome, as long as you're not just strolling along. Really get out there and walk fast. Also, hula hooping! I've been hooping for weeks now, every day for 30 minutes. I know I have lost around my waist because my skirt fell down the other day! Good thing I was in my backyard and not out in public LOL. I take measurements tomorrow, for once I am excited about that!
  • apamapandapa
    apamapandapa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I once read really weird tip - get some REALLY heavy book or one of those disks which usually are used for weight lifting ( you know, those which they put on each side :D I really dont know the english word for them), lie down and put it on your stomack. Then try to push it away using your stomack (use your muscles to push it up) and do it like 15-20 times, 3sets :) My friend used to do it 2x or 3x a day. Dunno if because of other reasons or this, but her stomack really was getting flat :)
    Good luck :)
  • chunkymonkey414
    Options
    Thank you very much for the hula hoop tip! Do I need the hula hoop or can I just move my hips in a circular motion and pretend? lol. I'm on a budget.
  • chunkymonkey414
    Options
    I also walk 2-3 times/week. It may not be a lot but it's what I can handle right now. Thanks everyone!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I also walk 2-3 times/week. It may not be a lot but it's what I can handle right now. Thanks everyone!

Dear ChunkyMonkey (love your moniker!!),

You're doing great with your walking, and I believe that is the best way to start. When I began, I could not even dream of running or jumping. And push-ups / sit-ups? -- I could do a couple of each, and then collapse in a pile. But walking I could do, and did do. I started out walking every single day for 30 minutes, then slowly worked up to an hour. I lost my first 30 lbs doing ONLY WALKING. Also from walking only, I lost 5 inches off my hips, and over 4 inches off my waist. (I was not measuring arms and thighs at that time).

Now that I am able, I do circuit training 3 times a week, and some jogging / running. However, walking continues to be an important part of my staying active. Be encouraged! All the best in your journey.
  • chunkymonkey414
    Options

Dear ChunkyMonkey (love your moniker!!),

You're doing great with your walking, and I believe that is the best way to start. When I began, I could not even dream of running or jumping. And push-ups / sit-ups? -- I could do a couple of each, and then collapse in a pile. But walking I could do, and did do. I started out walking every single day for 30 minutes, then slowly worked up to an hour. I lost my first 30 lbs doing ONLY WALKING. Also from walking only, I lost 5 inches off my hips, and over 4 inches off my waist. (I was not measuring arms and thighs at that time).

Now that I am able, I do circuit training 3 times a week, and some jogging / running. However, walking continues to be an important part of my staying active. Be encouraged! All the best in your journey.

Where you speed walking? Or just at a slow pace? I walk fast when I feel like it but I don't walk fast the whole time and I need to lose inches mostly. I wouldn't look so horrendous if I lost inches and evened out my body a little.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the hula hoop tip! Do I need the hula hoop or can I just move my hips in a circular motion and pretend? lol. I'm on a budget.

I understand! I got my hoop at Walmart though for $3...very cheap. I do plan to spring for a better hoop soon but this one will do for now.