WARRIOR DASH PREPARATION

Options
So, this is my first 5k/marathon/dash, anything like this that I've ever done!! I'm signed up to do one in August and I'm pretty excited about it. Just wondering if anybody's done the Warrior Dash before and any tips on training for it? Preciate it!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• CLSostarich
    Options
    Hi! I just finished the Warrior Dash this past weekend and it was AWESOME!! I trained by running a few times a week so I didn't really have any trouble with that part of it, it was the obstacles that were killer. Work on your upper body strength as much as you can, you will be hoisting your body weight up ropes and over walls. My arms were sore for 3 days after the race! The obstacles are all pretty doable as long as you can get yourself up and over those walls, people of all ages and sizes were doing it! Also, don't worry if you have to walk some to catch your breath, you won't be the only one. If you can, it's well worth raising funds for St. Judes to get into the VIP Warrior Tent, ($250.00) You will get a hot shower, towels, shampoo, free food and drinks, and bag check. The shower they gave to everyone else was just cold water sucked out of a nearby river by the fire department! Good luck!
  • cindaboo1
    cindaboo1 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just finished the Warrior Dash this past weekend and it was AWESOME!! I trained by running a few times a week so I didn't really have any trouble with that part of it, it was the obstacles that were killer. Work on your upper body strength as much as you can, you will be hoisting your body weight up ropes and over walls. My arms were sore for 3 days after the race! The obstacles are all pretty doable as long as you can get yourself up and over those walls, people of all ages and sizes were doing it! Also, don't worry if you have to walk some to catch your breath, you won't be the only one. If you can, it's well worth raising funds for St. Judes to get into the VIP Warrior Tent, ($250.00) You will get a hot shower, towels, shampoo, free food and drinks, and bag check. The shower they gave to everyone else was just cold water sucked out of a nearby river by the fire department! Good luck!

Thanks sooo much for the tips!!! I've seen a couple people have said to definitely work on the upper body strength which I've been doing, would love to be able to do pullups without assistance but that's a goal that I have yet to achieve! LOL So until then I've been doing strength training and lots of pushups. Glad you had fun finishing it and I hope I do well, thanks again!!!!
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I signed up for one in September and this was great! I have no upper body strangth, but I am hoping that P90x will help with that. Anyone else have any tips?
  • cindaboo1
    Options
    P90X is a great program. I'm just continuing to strength train and increase my endurance my running. Good luck with yours in September!!! =)
  • AlexnEmma2012
    AlexnEmma2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are running one in August as well! I've run 5k's before, and had something similar in Basic Training. My sister and B-in-Law are doing it with us, and my sister has never done anything like this, so it should be pretty fun! Good luck!
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    By the way, I misspelled 'strength'. Oops, it was a typo, I swear!
  • stevee71
    stevee71 Posts: 29
    Options
    Did the Tough Mudder which is a similar race. Did lots of circuit training at a local track.....for example.

1 - Run a lap and do a set of push-ups
    2 - Run a Lap and bear crawl 50 yards
    3 - Run a lap and hit the stadium stairs
    4 - Run a lap and do jumping jacks

You get the idea.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump, what's a stadium chair?
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just did one this past weekend as well. I'm not by nature a runner so that part was tough and it was HOT. I loved the obstacles....I lift weights so they weren't really problematic for me. You just need to be able to climb and jump. And be ready to get dirty.

It was awesome and I loved every minute of it. Can't wait to do it again.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I did it last year....it was GREAT! I couldn't run the whole thing (lost my inhaler somewhere around the first or second obstacle and didn't want to have an asthma attack and die in the middle of the woods alone, so I chose to walk alot of it)...My goal wasn't to finish quickly anyway - I was shooting for completing all the obstacles, which I did! I wanted to do it again this year, but missed out on registration for the one closest to me...oh well...next year!

Oh - and as for "prep" - I tied my shoes on really tight and I wore clothes that could get ruined...that was about it!! I didn't train for it at all....

Good luck!!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ On a related note.....don't wear anything you plan to wear again. My running shorts came clean but the cotton tee and cotton panties I wore were hopelessly mud stained. They take your muddy shoes for donations, if you want to donate them.
  • cindaboo1
    Options
    Did the Tough Mudder which is a similar race. Did lots of circuit training at a local track.....for example.

1 - Run a lap and do a set of push-ups
    2 - Run a Lap and bear crawl 50 yards
    3 - Run a lap and hit the stadium stairs
    4 - Run a lap and do jumping jacks

You get the idea.

Great!! I Love circuit training so this is right up my alley!! Thanks for the tips!!! :happy:
  • cindaboo1
    Options
    bump, what's a stadium chair?

I think you meant the stadium stairs? It's like, the bleachers at a track/ school. They're great to run for your cardio, works great for the legs/ buns! :wink:
  • cindaboo1
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everybody I TRULY appreciate it!! I'm soo excited about this race!! :bigsmile:
  • joevennare
    Options
    Training for a Mud run or obstacle course race like Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or warrior dash should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.

Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like kettlebell swings. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.

You can get more info from my free download here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/