The Aspartame Thread

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this is even an issue. If something is more than questionable, why would you consider putting it in your body? There's absolutely no justification for it. Now, if you want it, just say you want it, but don't try to defend it as a sensible choice when you're asked about it.
    So don't eat vegetables and fruits because it DOES turn into formaldehyde in your body. That's not a lie. See what I did there?
    It's only questionable to people who have limited knowledge on the actual science of how human physiology works. Things like, "it's a chemical and we know what chemicals do to the body" yet everything that happens in the body is a chemical reaction done with chemicals that interact with each other. There's even arsenic in our bodies, however the levels are low. So are the levels of aspartic acid and phenylalaine in a diet soda.
    If comparisons are going to be done, then do it fairly. I will AGREE that drinking a case of diet soda daily is probably going to cause an issue same as if I ate 10lbs of prunes, I'd be in big trouble.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I distrust corporate sponsored science motivated by greed.

"Log off the internet"...you're in need of some new material, my friend.
    Then find something in peer reviewed journals of medicine (like the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism) that states that aspartame will kill you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A. I forget that this forum is stone age
    B. Is that your best attempt at humor?

History is usually a good place to look for indicators of future outcomes.
    Might as well keep worrying about the end of the world too.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah and the end of the world seems more likely at this point then getting an argument from this thread FOR Apartame other than "it taste like crap but it has 0 calories."

Cardboard has zero calories too but you don't eat that...well, then again weren't there some burgers in China being infused with cardboard a while back.
    How else would they get their fiber?:laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Then find something in peer reviewed journals of medicine (like the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism) that states that aspartame will kill you.

IDEA Fitness member

I never said it will kill you. I do believe it has very negative side effects. Can some of those side effects lead to death? Maybe. Hard to prove when there's not a med examiner in the world that will investigate Aspartame poisoning as a cause of death.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Your first sentence was a personal insult against someone you know nothing about. Not a great start to your argument.

The rest of your post...cry me a river.

I've read your posts in this thread. That's all I really need to know. Your posts demonstrate a clear distrust and misunderstanding of science. If that's not really you, then perhaps you should work on your presentation. Your posts also demonstrate a propensity for snakiness, rudeness, and childish insults, while in the same breath you cry 'foul' when someone turns the table. Again, if that's not really you, perhaps you should work on your presentation.

I did not intend to personally insult you, but I still stand by what I said. You don't seem to know how science works. You can take that as an insult (which you obviously did), or you can say 'gee... maybe I was wrong?'

The beauty of being human is that you can reason and learn. Or you can cling to your beliefs despite evidence to the contrary.

The rest of my post? Not written for the benefit of gaining sympathy. It was written to clarify a very common misunderstanding. There isn't much money in sciences. The people who make the big bucks are the business guys who become CEOs of pharmaceutical industries, or the guys good at politics and administration who become department chairs, deans, etc...

It will take another 5 to 10 years before my salary hits the 70,000 range. By the time I retire, I MIGHT be making 150,000 to 200,000. That's a decent salary. But that's not the millions you'd have to pay me to get me to hide secrets from the world.... secrets like OH MY GOSH ASPARTAME WILL MAKE YOU GROW TWO HEADS!

By the way... DDT and Aspartame have been around for a similar number of years. Aspartame might have harmful effects in some people, but for the average person, it's just two amino acids bonded together that gives a sweet and low calorie flavor to drink and food.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    I am passionately against Aspartame and any and all artificial sweeteners.

9 1/2 years ago I became violently ill with spells of vertigo, tinnitus and vomiting . It was awful ....went undiagnosed for the longest time. After several months I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease (imbalance of the inner ear fluid)....it took me a year and half to realize that one of the main triggers for severe attacks for me was Aspartame....I drank a lot of diet pop and used several packets of AS in my coffee. Since I have quit using anything with AS my attacks are almost non-existent now.

Artificial Sweeteners have been linked to Migraine Headaches, Muscle Soreness, Dizziness, MS and even brain tumors. and more.....I suspect more will be found out in time. My grandmother died of a brain tumor and she drank a lot of diet Pepsi.

I would hope that other people would wake up and realize that it's just NOT GOOD FOR YOU! :sick:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is pretty mild compared to some of the alarmist misinformation circulating on the Internet. There we are told that there is a widespread epidemic of aspartame poisoning, causing headaches, seizures, Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes, blindness, multiple sclerosis, birth defects, even Gulf War Syndrome. We are told that “If you…suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss-you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!” We are expected to believe the lie that “When they remove brain tumors, they have found high levels of aspartame in them.”

All this misinformation has been identified as a hoax, an urban legend, by various sources including Time.com, Snopes.com and About.com. Much of it hinges on a widely disseminated e-mail by a “Nancy Markle” who was accused of plagiarizing it from Betty Martini. Martini is the founder of Mission Possible World Health International, which is “committed to removing the deadly chemical aspartame from our food.” She is also anti-vaccine, anti-fluoride, anti-MSG, a conspiracy theorist, and thinks she was cured of breast cancer by an herbal formula.

Her website consists of misinformation, testimonials, and hysterical rants. She implores readers: YOUR personal horror story needed NOW!. She is associated with a number of others notorious for circulating unreliable information, including the infamous Joseph Mercola.

There’s even a book, Sweet Poison, by Janet Hull, creator of the Aspartame Detox Program.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/
  • RoxyA3
    RoxyA3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Does the water in cups of tea count towards the 64oz a day?
  • dolldreams
    Options

Your first sentence was a personal insult against someone you know nothing about. Not a great start to your argument.

I've read your posts in this thread. That's all I really need to know. Your posts demonstrate a clear distrust and misunderstanding of science. If that's not really you, then perhaps you should work on your presentation. Your posts also demonstrate a propensity for snakiness, rudeness, and childish insults, while in the same breath you cry 'foul' when someone turns the table. Again, if that's not really you, perhaps you should work on your presentation.

I did not intend to personally insult you, but I still stand by what I said. You don't seem to know how science works. You can take that as an insult (which you obviously did), or you can say 'gee... maybe I was wrong?'

The beauty of being human is that you can reason and learn. Or you can cling to your beliefs despite evidence to the contrary.

The rest of my post? Not written for the benefit of gaining sympathy. It was written to clarify a very common misunderstanding. There isn't much money in sciences. The people who make the big bucks are the business guys who become CEOs of pharmaceutical industries, or the guys good at politics and administration who become department chairs, deans, etc...

It will take another 5 to 10 years before my salary hits the 70,000 range. By the time I retire, I MIGHT be making 150,000 to 200,000. That's a decent salary. But that's not the millions you'd have to pay me to get me to hide secrets from the world.... secrets like OH MY GOSH ASPARTAME WILL MAKE YOU GROW TWO HEADS!

By the way... DDT and Aspartame have been around for a similar number of years. Aspartame might have harmful effects in some people, but for the average person, it's just two amino acids bonded together that gives a sweet and low calorie flavor to drink and food.

You just characterized me as "snaky, rude and childish" and then said you didn't intend to insult me.

:yawn: I now know why most forums have an ignore user feature.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I never said it will kill you. I do believe it has very negative side effects. Can some of those side effects lead to death? Maybe. Hard to prove when there's not a med examiner in the world that will investigate Aspartame poisoning as a cause of death.
    You can find a negative side effects to anything. Even Vitamin C has negative effects on some people. Peanuts can kill people. Exercising can kill you if you exceed your ability. Keeping a disinfected house can actually make you sick when you go out (since you need "sickness" to boost your immunity).
    I trust science enough to follow "current" findings. Our technology now is much more advanced and with all the watch dog groups around, if there's sufficient enough evidence to prove something is killing us, it will get pulled.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dolldreams
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You can find a negative side effects to anything. Even Vitamin C has negative effects on some people. Peanuts can kill people. Exercising can kill you if you exceed your ability. Keeping a disinfected house can actually make you sick when you go out (since you need "sickness" to boost your immunity).
    I trust science enough to follow "current" findings. Our technology now is much more advanced and with all the watch dog groups around, if there's sufficient enough evidence to prove something is killing us, it will get pulled.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm still not seeing an argument for use of Aspartame in particular. That other products have harmful effects does not somehow make Aspartame okay. Not sure where you're going on this one...

Thanks for remaining civil though. I have quite a sarcastic streak but I think you and the other guy get it.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Has anyone watched Sweet Misery? It's a documentary and it's available for free on YouTube.

I aso think it's worth looking into how aspartame was passed by the FDA. It was banned for sme time before being passed and the man instrumental in passng aspartame has some very padded pockets...

Aspartame is about 200 times sweeter than sugar. Think about the way our bodies react to sugar. As soon as we taste "sweet" on our tongue, our brain sends a signal to the pancreas to create insulin in preparation. When the aspartame enters our system and the insulin realizes that it is not sugar, it doesn't know what to do with it. Now you have all this insulin "sitting around" that doesn't have a task to complete. Your pancreas cannot simply make the insulin go away, so more signals are sent out and suddenly you are craving more "sweet"- sugar, carbs...

Back to aspartame being about 200 times sweeter than sugar- as a mother, I don't want my children getting used to such a powerful and artificial sensation. I try avoid sugar as much as possible when it comes to my kids (let's be honest, it's not really possible to avoid it all together, especially with so many advertisements out there geared towards kids these days), but if sugar is an issue, than surely something 200 times sweeter than sugar should also be an issue when it comes to our little ones (and ourselves)!

That is all I have to say! Please don't be mean to me, today is my birthday :happy:
    Happy Birthday. Don't eat a cake with sugar in it.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol Thanks... I think :wink:
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I'm still not seeing an argument for use of Aspartame in particular. That other products have harmful effects does not somehow make Aspartame okay. Not sure where you're going on this one...

Thanks for remaining civil though. I have quite a sarcastic streak but I think you and the other guy get it.

I think people have stated the use for aspartame.Basically, they enjoy it. They like the sweetness without the calories and many do not find it makes them crave more sweets and actually find that it satiates the craving.
  • dolldreams
    Options

You just characterized me as "snaky, rude and childish" and then said you didn't intend to insult me.

:yawn: I now know why most forums have an ignore user feature.

This-

"It was written to clarify a very common misunderstanding. There isn't much money in sciences. The people who make the big bucks are the business guys who become CEOs of pharmaceutical industries, or the guys good at politics and administration who become department chairs, deans, etc..."

-is exactly the problem with Aspartame. The person who secured its approval was DONALD RUMSFELD. Not a scientist but basically a political insider. Now what could his motivations for seeing this product to the market have possibly been? I'm sure he had the benefit of all mankind in mind.
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student with two semesters to go; this is my third bachelors degree and I am an old fart- I've been researching clinical studies for years so I am pretty good at hunting around for info in scientific journals. I studied animal nutrition for years because I raised horses and farm animals of all types.

A pilot friend told me some years back that the FAA banned Aspartame for pilots; that pilots were grounded if they consumed aspartame within X hours of flying. Last fall, as part of a nutrition presentation for high school kids, I researched this because I was going to include it in my project. Nothing. Anywhere. I'm not saying it's not out there somewhere, but if it is- I certainly never found it.

I think there is a lot of "junk science", false beliefs, and uneducated opinions out there regarding nutrition and nutritional products. Not just aspartame, but in general. There is also a woeful lack of knowledge about how our bodies actually work. That's not a cut directed at anyone, just a statement of fact.

That said, I try to avoid aspartame- it gives me migranes. And I do resent it being in so many foods since I do react to it. I do use stevia- I have no poor reactions to it at all. I figure to each his or her own- we need to do our own research and make our own decisions about these issues. I use foods and products that make sense... to me.

Sometimes people push the "Oh I use this because it's natural!" And my off the cuff reply is usually "So is hemlock." :bigsmile:
  • WaxMama
    Options

birth defects

My wife is a high-risk OB/GYN. Most of that list is not true, but this one, is most unambiguously NOT true. There ZERO actual evidence that aspertame causes birth defects. None!

It did in rats in the original studies... which is why it should have been tested more before approval. My OBGYN specifically told me to avoid while pregnant...
  • WaxMama
    Options
    I don't understand why this is even an issue. If something is more than questionable, why would you consider putting it in your body? There's absolutely no justification for it. Now, if you want it, just say you want it, but don't try to defend it as a sensible choice when you're asked about it.

I wish there was a *like* button!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    For those who are saying Aspartame hasn't been tested, have you ever been to PubMed? It's an NIH sponsored website with access to thousands of scientific journals. Enter aspartame or artificial sweeteners in the search box. Aspartame has been tested. Splenda has been tested. There's a wealth of knowledge out there backed by scientific study. You choose to ignore it, but the FDA doesn't.

I understand that some may choose not to drink or eat aspartame because for them the slight possibility of a risk is too great. I respect that. I really do.

What I don't respect is those who propagate the myths that say aspartame is more dangerous than it really is, especially those who claim it causes birth defects, brain tumors, Alzheimer's disease, and so on. The true risks of aspartame are that it MIGHT increase appetite, MIGHT increase insulin secretion, and MIGHT be linked to headaches/migraines and/or behavioral issues in those already prone toward depression, anxiety, etc...
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

The argument is that as a sweetener and zero calories, it's a great substitute over drinks with high calories. We don't have to argue that being overweight is associated with many more health issues, than being at normal weight. Being able to satisfy your "sweet tooth" with an artificial sweetener rather than indulging in full sugared drinks saves you on calories. A regular Pepsi at 12 oz is 150 calories. Drink 2 and that's 300 calories. I'd rather contribute that 300 calories to food rather than regular soda. But at least drinking a diet Pepsi, I can get my "sweet" treat in without having to worry about calories.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is advised against by all neurological Nurses & Consultants in the UK as it affects the ability of the nerves to conduct impulses. It should not be a problem in small amounts to the general population but as I have MS I try to avoid it (& I would not advise any friend of mine to use it!) However, the problem is that it is so much stuff now that it is difficult to avoid in even large quantities. It's in a lot of processed food, even savory dishes so the only option is to eat clean. Why risk your health but it's an individual choice like smoking, drinking or being fat??