Hey morning workout lovers

Options
Do you eat breakfast before or after your workout?

I'm trying to get into morning workouts, but I don't know the "proper" way to implement! If I don't eat before I go, I feel HUNGRY. If I do eat before I go, I feel sluggish.

What's the trick?

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...I'm not much for eating breakfast first thing in the AM, whether I work out or not. Most week days, I am up around 4AM to run or elliptical. I don't eat beforehand and actually don't eat breakfast until after 9AM most days. I have my water while I'm working out and coffee after my shower. I find that I can't run unless it's on an empty stomach.

Maybe you could have a quick snack before the workout and then eat a real breakfast after?
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I'm trying to get into morning workouts, but I don't know the "proper" way to implement! If I don't eat before I go, I feel HUNGRY. If I do eat before I go, I feel sluggish.

What's the trick?

Same happens to me :(
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I take my thyroid medication first thing in the morning, so by the time I CAN eat (30min-1hr later), I'm already at the gym. I drink a workout drink while enroute and at the gym and have a protein shake after. I'm never hungry that early anyway.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast after morning workouts. Eating before makes me feel nauseous during the workout. I'm usually famished though by the time I'm done.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry (which is not often) I will eat a small banana. Otherwise I couldn't imagine a full breakfast sloshing around in my stomach while I'm working out. But that's just me... To each their own!
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I have read that you should eat low GI carbs 90-120 minutes before your run, but that means getting up way too early for me. I tried a slice of toast and some tea this morning, but only waited about 20 minutes. Didn't upset my stomach and I felt powered for the short 35 minute run.
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    I eat before, but I make sure there is an hour between the time I finish eating and I work out.
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid morning workout girl and I think you have to find what works for you. For me, I typically eat 1/4 (yes, I don't eat the whole thing) of a banana. It has carbs and gives me a little bit of food in my stomach to get me through my workout. My workouts usually last about 45 min to 1 hour. I then come home and have a "real" breakfast.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

What's the trick?

Before the workout, I normally just have a cup or two of coffee... and wait until after to eat breakfast
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on how hard you work out in the morning. If you're doing something very challenging, eating something within an hour before might make you nauseous. I often eat something small on my way to the gym (carrot sticks or a mini Clif bar) just for a bit of energy, but if I'm doing P90X Plyo at home in the morning, I'll wait until after to eat.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I workout. If' I'm doing a long run and will be on the road for several hours, I might fuel with chocolate covered espresso beans before I go, but I am not a meal eater before I workout. When I did insanity, I would sometimes eat a banana, it helped but then I tasted banana belches through the workout.

I "try" to eat within an hour after I finish my workout. Generally something like like a protein shake or yogurt. I've read chocolate milk is one of the best things for recovery.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't eat breakfast, just have something small like a banana 30 -45 min before. Eat a real breakfast after.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning BECAUSE I can't eat before I workout. I like to workout hard, and I don't want to puke up my breakfast!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    if i'm a cardio-only day, i do not eat. if i use weights and "work-out" then i eat a huge protein-filled breakfast. no matter what, i ALWAYS eat directly after the gym. (usually in the car on the way home! protein bar or shake)
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I wake up, eat and wait about an hour to an hour and a half to work out. I personally have more energy and feel better but everyone is different :)
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    I always eat in the morning before the gym. Even if it's something as simple as a small bowl of Cheerios. I have absolutely NO energy for the gym until I eat.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I can't get my butt out of bed early enough to eat first, but I always have a big cup of water before, and usually will add a packet of Special K protein water mix to a 20 oz bottle of water and drink that during/after my workout. When I first started working fasted, it made me sick a few times, but I got used to it and now I don't have any problems with it.
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    For me it really depends on the workout - when I was doing Insanity I would have to eat something otherwise I wouldn't have enough energy, but I did have to eat at least 30 minutes before starting (which means getting up even earlier) or I'd definitely feel nauseous. You also have to play with what works for you, I'd usually have half a piece of toast with a little almond butter.
    When I'm doing something less intense like 30DS I don't eat before. Experiment until you find what works for you. :smile:
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usaully grab a handfull of nuts and some water before I head out and then eat a full breakfast after I get home.
  • medicinemantoo
    Options
    Breakfast IS my workout :wink:

(after)