Stretching after weights/cardio

Options
Quick question. Sometimes my workouts run a little longer then I intend, do to chatting with other people, and I end up barely getting to work on time. I know I need to stretch and I end up stretching later at home. I wanted to know if that is ok or does the stretch need to be as close to the workout as possible to help prevent injuries and aid in the recovery?

one last thing, I always do a warm up of about 5 minutes. treadmill jog, back pedeling and jumping jacks to help loosen them up before the weights.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch either before or after my lifitn sessions. I do a cardio wamup and then 45 minutes to 1 hours lifting. Then I'm done. Never had any issues for not stretching. Much current research indicates stretching is overrated and in some cases counterproductive.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as warm up i either do dynamic movements like squats and alternating knee to chest or warm up sets on my weights.. afterwards i dont have time to stretch all the time. i dont feel it's necessary for me after every session, so I usually go with 1 mammoth stretch and foam roll session on my off day (sunday) and maybe another session on tuesday or wednesday.

on other days i might do some stretching at home while i'm watching TV. although i'm currently doing a lot of lifting I plan on getting back into capoeira so I need to make sure i keep my agility and flexibility up to par
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I would have to agree. it's not about doing things now if doesn't feel it's necessary. It's about doing them to make sure you don't have problems later. But from the information posted so far, i would have to believe that if I stretch later i might want to do some warm ups before I do the stretches.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I do 50 swings of a 38lb KB before I start to lift. I don't stretch afterwards.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching. Very little static stretching...............probably why I don't like yoga.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i do about 10 minutes of mobility work BEFORE my lifting workouts. i haven't had an injury ever since i started doing that.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree. it's not about doing things now if doesn't feel it's necessary. It's about doing them to make sure you don't have problems later. But from the information posted so far, i would have to believe that if I stretch later i might want to do some warm ups before I do the stretches.

it isn't like stretching has to take a long time. take five minutes before you leave. at least get some basic stretches in for your major muscle groups.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I try to do some stretching afterwards. When I don't, I get so tight -- and I'm not new, I've been at this for a year and a half (not long compared to some people, but anyway) I tighten up so bad because I work out 6-7 days a week. I do strength & cardio 3 days a week, and cardio the other days.... I try to get in a pitaiyo class when I can..... But i tighten up ridiculously if I don't stretch -- and only stretching doesn't do the job completely, I have to roll myself out too - with a foam roller, and the stick.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I always stretch afterward.

I do a light cardio warm up before weight training and a light cardio warm up before cardio.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I always do yoga after a cardio or strength workout. It's my workout dessert.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I always do yoga after a cardio or strength workout. It's my workout dessert.
    workout dessert. i like that

i'll definitely need to add more yoga to my calendar before i re-begin capoeira. i recently tried to do a few moves and could barely get my leg up much less around :laugh:
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Stretching after working out "stretches" those muscle fibers and lets waste be removed from them so nutrients can enter and healing / fat burning process can begin. Ever notice that burning sensation after doing so many reps? During muscle contraction, all energy comes from within the working muscles. No nutrient rich oxygen can enter, and not waste from the muscle tissue can exit. Stretching after the workout can pay major dividends. It's not so much about injuries, but the muscle tissue repair process.