Does anyone swim as their ONLY form of exercise?

Options
I have some injuries that prevent me from walking long distances. Can you really lose weight just by swimming? I've heard it isn't a good enough workout. Thoughts?

Replies

• kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's nonsense, swimming is a great workout that burns a lot of calories. Pairing it with some sort of strength training would be even better. Are you able to lift weights at all? If standing would be a problem, there's plenty you can do while sitting or lying on a bench.
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My husband is one that can only use the pool as exercise. It is the BEST thing you can use right now till your injuries are over. The weight loss may be slower than if you were to use other cardio equipment. Using the pool can also help tone your arms, especially your triceps, really well. My husband spends 2 hours a day walking laps in the pool, it is something that he enjoys doing right now. So far he has lost about 15 pounds in 4 months. It is not a lot of weight but he also has not changed his eating pattern either. If you have changed your eating pattern, you will have better results.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    Bump
  • lafresita
    lafresita Posts: 27
    Options
    How about water aerobics or running in a hydrotherapy pool? These combined with swimming changes up workouts, uses different muscles and is still low impact... But yes you burn a lot of calories swimming!
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would love to swim as my exercise but I can't; something about swimming makes me sooo hungry! As soon as I get out I want to pig out!
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I swim now 4 days a week (monday, wednesday, saturday and sunday) and ride my bike on both saturday and sunday, its fantastic exersize, the second best infact, but the benifit is it's low impact. If you have a problem with hunger have a protein bar straight after, quashes those hunger pangs right away! and aids recovery pain!, althought be warned an hour of solid breastroke burns for me 900 kcal so i have to modify my diet during the day so i dont have to eat a huge dinner! Usually do 2 high protien lunches instead!
  • PDLUCKY
    PDLUCKY Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do to my arthritis I only swim for my exercise. I swim a mile in the morning Monday - Friday and I am down 90 pounds since I started 85 since joining MFP.

Facechange78poundslighter.jpg

Heavy pic
    HeavyWeight.jpg

78 pounds lost
    Small78PoundsDown.jpg