Avocado

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
I just saw a yummy looking avocado recipe. Unfortunately it had sour cream in it for me :sad:
But I use avocados for all kinds of things, so I would like to see what others are using it for.

1. Raw with anything for me

2. Chocolate Avocado Pudding and Ice Cream
1 ripe small or medium avocado
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup raw agave nectar
1/4 cup nonfat milk or other type of milk, I use almond and add vanilla

Whatever I don't eat I freeze

3 Chocolate Avocado Cake
Use a GF Chocolate cake mix but add half an avocado instead of oil and I add a little almond milk and the normal eggs.

4. Creamy Avocado Pasta
Basically a homemade pesto sauce with about a half avocado and then put into your cooked pasta. Makes it creamy.

Replies

• bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You can replace sour cream with Greek yogurt. I often have some yogurt and salsa with an egg for breakfast.

A great way to eat avocado is to spread it on toast - sounds crazy, but it's delicious.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado in place of dairy altogether. I cannot eat anything with dairy or gluten and a few other grains. But I am aware of those ideas and they are great tasting.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like to take half an avocado and put it between two rice cakes, with a little lemon pepper seasoning. Makes a nice, creamy "sandwich" (I can't eat gluten or dairy either).
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Chili-Lime avocado ... talk about simple and yummy ...

Cut it in half, and score (checkerboard pattern) the flesh on each half ... squeeze into it the juice of 1 lime and sprinkle on some chili powder and a dash of salt ... let sit for 10 mins and enjoy ... yumm!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Heck, I just scoop out 2-3oz, mash it up, add salt, and chow down...
  • giantsr1
    giantsr1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make my own sushi. I buy the seaweed nori sheets right from walmart and spead some brown rice on them. I lay down some avocado and roll it up. YUMMY!!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% plain Greek yogurt! I even put it on baked potatoes in the place of sour cream and the hubs doesn't even notice.
  • azpowerguy
    Options
    :tongue: Every day for lunch I have 1/2 of an avocado and about 2 cups of fresh spinach with salt and pepper. Delish.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just saw a yummy looking avocado recipe. Unfortunately it had sour cream in it for me :sad:
    But I use avocados for all kinds of things, so I would like to see what others are using it for.
    <snip>

Why is the sour cream unfortunate?
  • readyforthejourney
    Options
    I love toasted Avocado and tomato sandwich...a little salt and pep and maybe some mayo :) Would probably be sweet in a wrap too!
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I made something similar to this and it was amazing!! Everyone looks at me crazy when I talk about dessert avacado but it is soooo good.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <snip>

Why is the sour cream unfortunate?

Just saw your "I can't eat dairy quote." My condolences.
  • glitterpiss
    glitterpiss Posts: 113
    Options
    I just spread it on a piece of toasted oatnut bread, and top with a pinch of salt. Its pretty much the best breakfast ever.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite lunches;

1/2 an avocado sliced on toasted sprouted grain bread. Top with a sprinkle of rock salt & pepper and a few dashes of Crystal or Trappey's Louisiana style hot sauce. Creamy with a bit of zing.

Heavenly
  • tab1221
    tab1221 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1. Sliced on a grilled cheese sandwich (50 calorie bread, 2% cheese)

2. On a plate with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. delish!
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    avocado + salt = mouth orgasm

sliced/ chopped avocado in salsa with corn or tortilla chips

Beans and rice + avocado = favorite meal

avocado in salad or mashed with a bit of braggs amino acids as a "dressing"

A few things you might not know: avocados ripen from the bottom up to the top so if you’re only cutting a small piece, start at the fat part as it's more likely to be ripe. Also they really should be eaten room temperature or cooler. Slightly warmed is okay (like putting them on top of a hot dish is probably fine, IMO) But actually cooking them releases some bitter chemicals and might make em taste funny/ not be as nutritious
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado in place of dairy altogether. I cannot eat anything with dairy or gluten and a few other grains. But I am aware of those ideas and they are great tasting.

I can't have regular (cow milk) dairy or gluten either. But I've found that I don't have any trouble at all with sheep milk yogurt. It's turned into a wonderful sour cream substitute for me, too.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I love avocado. I mash it up, add about a teaspoon of lemon juice and some salt, and then I smear it on top of a grilled chicken breast. It's SO good! That's my favorite way to eat it.
  • texas4transplantmom
    Options
    I use it in place of mayo in egg salad and I like it on it's own or sliced up in salads or on sandwiches. Your recipes have caught my attention and I'm going to jot them down and try them...thanks for posting!
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options

This and the one about spreading on toast sounds YUMMY!! I think I might try this. I always just eat it plain or make it into guac. I gotta try these ways..thanks for the suggestions!

Angel