The amount of calories burned...

Options
CNParker
CNParker Posts: 108 Member
I am really interested to know how people can burn 600+ calories in an hour? I have never hit 400 in 60 min of vigorous exercise. Is that calorie count a guess? Or going by machines, which are notoriously wrong. I always wear a heart rate monitor so I feel like I get an accurate count. My normal burn is 320-360. One time my HRM read 382. What is a normal HRM reading for you and your size. I'm 4'11" 120lbs.

Replies

• MikeDaMotivator
    MikeDaMotivator Posts: 1,144
    Options
    I am really interested to know how people can burn 600+ calories in an hour? I have never hit 400 in 60 min of vigorous exercise. Is that calorie count a guess? Or going by machines, which are notoriously wrong. I always wear a heart rate monitor so I feel like I get an accurate count. My normal burn is 320-360. One time my HRM read 382. What is a normal HRM reading for you and your size. I'm 4'11" 120lbs.

Really depends on the activity and size of the person. There are a lot of factors that play a part. It is very possible. As big as I am it is easy for me to burn 1300 calories in an hour of spin class or running which is why I do it 3 to 5 times a week.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am 190 lbs - 600 calories is an EASY burn rate.
    Tennis and swimming
    For walking? 450 calories burned per hour
    Everything else is usually between 450 and 600 calories per hour, and every now and then HIIT is a higher burn, but I only do it for 30 minutes.
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    During summer, i will often do a 31 mile ride in about 2 hours which my HRM tells me burns around 1520 cal.
    Again it depends on the intensity of the workout...
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    My normal burn is 320-360. One time my HRM read 382. What is a normal HRM reading for you and your size. I'm 4'11" 120lbs.

You don't burn 600+ calories because you are on the small side and are already at normal BMI. :flowerforyou:
    - - -
    ETA: I have really small burns myself b/c I'm not only short, but I don't have a lot of muscle mass. :embarassed:
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Part of it is weight. You weigh literally 1/2 what I did when I started, so that makes a big difference. My HRM sometimes says 600 if I am working really hard.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I think I can burn 1000 calories in 2 hours if I walk non-stop and include enough small hills - that's from carrying an extra 100 pounds that I should not have and being 160 lbs more than you..
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    5' 11" tall, 157 pounds (Shout out to the Dan Patrick Show).

I regularly hit 600 calories in an hour, either running or at boot camp. Usually my heart rate is up around 135 when I hit that threshold. Speed runs where I'm doing intervals or tempo runs, my heart rate can get up in the 150-160 average for the hour-long run, I'll easily burn 750 and I've seen a few runs that were around 800 in just an hour.

I typically use the average of my Garmin's calculation and two other websites (one just a straight-up average heart rate, one that uses an estimated VO2 Max in the calculation). Lately I've also been converting that to net calories burned rather than gross calories (for long runs where I'm out for almost 2 hours, that delta can add up).
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Since you're a small woman, you're not going to burn as many calories as a much larger person. As a ~150 lb woman, I can burn a little over 600 calories per hour by running at a fairly brisk pace (~6.4 mph). As a 120 lb woman, you'd have to run at a super fast ~8 mph to burn that much. So it's not really helpful to compare your burn to someone of a different size's burn.

Some of the big numbers are overestimates though. Many people overestimate their exercise intensity. For example, I doubt most people can do an hour long session of high-intensity weight lifting straight. I think another issue is that many estimates count BMR calories, which is kind of "double-dipping." The calculations I did above are for net calories burnt--the total calories minus BMR calories.
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just see so many people post what they burn and I feel like a wimp. My max heart rate is about 180 (resting 80) and I usually keep my hr at 150-160 while working out. My calorie intake is about 1200-1400 so 600+ is half my intake of calories. Which I couldn't even fathom doing.

99clmsntgr- how in the world is your heart rate so low. My peak is 180 thats at my full run where I think I might trip or die.