Is sodium really something to worry about?

Options
I know you're supposed to consume 2500 mg/day or less...but is it really that important?
I've had 2553mg of sodium today, which isn't too far over.
I don't have any health conditions, however my blood pressure is a little on the low side (105/60).
Is sodium intake really that important if you have no health conditions?

Replies

• sizzler0123
    Options
    Good question as I have been doing really well but most days have been over my sodium intake!
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person.
    I know I retain water so I need to be mindful of how much sodium I consume.
    A low sodium diet aids in lowering blood pressure. I have found that it is an overall health benefit to watch one's sodium levels.

Here are some resources:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/sodium/sodium.htm

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09354.html
  • ohthatzhott
    ohthatzhott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sodium could always present itself as a problem in the future, even if it isn't now. You don't have to be over cautious with your sodium intake but better safe than sorry. Small changes such as switching to turkey instead of pork or adding low-sodium ingredients to your favorite foods can help ensure you never develop health issues because of salt. It also is great to stay low on sodium to avoid water-weight gain! It's just a healthy benefit overall. :-)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You will not develop health issues because of salt. However, with certain health conditions, such as Congestive Heart Failure, you may have to limit your salt. But, if you are young and healthy, then be mindful, but don't worry too much. Worse that can happen is you sweat more.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sodium could always present itself as a problem in the future, even if it isn't now. You don't have to be over cautious with your sodium intake but better safe than sorry. Small changes such as switching to turkey instead of pork or adding low-sodium ingredients to your favorite foods can help ensure you never develop health issues because of salt. It also is great to stay low on sodium to avoid water-weight gain! It's just a healthy benefit overall. :-)
    IMHO, Im not sure turkey instead of pork is a good example, as both are good sources of protein. Not using salt shaker, staying away from processed foods, fast foods and chips with salt is a good start.
  • clarajeanbean
    clarajeanbean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Such a little amount to go over isn't such a big deal, but I do think it's important to pay attention to how much you're consuming anyway. According to CDC data the average American over the age of 2 takes in about 3500mg a day. I think it IS something to worry about in as much as the amount of sodium you've ingested in a day is directly proportional to how many whole vs processed foods you've been eating. Also, if you're eating out rather than cooking at home, you're bound to consume a LOT more sodium than you should, usually in one sitting. (And I don't just mean from things like pepperoni pizza, as even a tuna salad sandwich from Jimmy John's, which seems fresh, has over 1000mg in it - and this applies to any restaurant, not just fast food).
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't think sodium intake has anything to do with fat loss.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you suffer from hypertension, yes, it may be something to worry about.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    nah
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    unless you have a previous medical condition? easy answer: no.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I retain water so I always watch my intake.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes! You need to try to keep it minimal, it will result in you not retaining any water or being puffy/bloated.
    I say this from experience.. now that i try not to eat many processed foods and my water intake is higher and well as potassium and I keep my sodium low, I have noticed a huge difference. And when i go back to eating processed junk or high sodium foods, my whole body swells especially my fingers and i prefer when my fingers are thin and bony, not chubby and bloated.

plus there are health risks associated with high sodium such as high blood pressure and heart problems. plus I just generally feel crappy when I eat lots of salt (sweating, rapid heartbeat etc..)
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    I have high blood pressure... so i (try too) follow the "dash diet" (low salt high potassium). They really shouldn't call it a diet, it's more of a lifestyle. Anyways, for myself, I found that if I keep my salt in line then the calories won't be high.

all processed foods are loaded with salt. just look at the sodium level in a (supposedly) healthy subway sandwich or the salt levels in ANY fast food establishment.
  • griggio
    griggio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sodium holds down water and is a factor in high blood pressure. I'm not sure what else it may be a factor for off the top of my head but I'm sure there is a well though and scientific reason for the 2500 mg/day.
    Good luck with your goal.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here is something I learned in my anatomy class:

Yes, you should probably be a little mindful of your sodium intake. Water likes to follow salt, so if you take in more sodium, you are going to retain more water. The more water you retain, the higher your blood pressure gets because the water will follow the salt into your bloodstream instead of leaving the body via your urinary tract. The higher your blood pressure gets, the harder your heart has to work. And the harder your heart has to work, the more stress it puts on your heart. It can lead to a life of constant hypertension, which you don't really want. It doesn't really affect your weight much, unless you count the weight gained from water retension. It's all maintained by your kidneys, too, which filters out your blood. If you have too much salt intake, it won't release water out into your urine. So, I would definitely stay away from a lot of frozen pre-packaged meals and just keep an eye out for items with high-sodium content. It's more dor the sake of your heart than it is your weight.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure... so i (try too) follow the "dash diet" (low salt high potassium). They really shouldn't call it a diet, it's more of a lifestyle. Anyways, for myself, I found that if I keep my salt in line then the calories won't be high.

all processed foods are loaded with salt. just look at the sodium level in a (supposedly) healthy subway sandwich or the salt levels in ANY fast food establishment.

What I was going to say.... Just be aware of the added sodium in packaged and restaurant meals. Sodium is tricky. The recommendation for those of us with hypertension or even pre-hypertension is 1500 mg/day, and this is easy to meet if most of your diet is non-processed foods; however, we do need some sodium in our diets for good health, too.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Kind-of-sort-of-yes...
    You need it to live, so yes, but keep under 3000 and you should be fine.
    2000 is better:drinker:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I never worried about my sodium, as my blood pressure is also on the low side. But since I've been tracking on MFP, I've discovered that after a high sodium day, it looks on the scale as though I've gained 2-3 lbs overnight. So I am more mindful of my sodium now.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would say be mindful of your sodium but don't overly stress. I try to stay within a normal range 1800-2500mg. Stay away from the salt shaker. Deli meat, processed foods, frozen foods, marinades and seasonings are usually loaded with sodium.
    Here is a good article from livestrong that helped me.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542089-how-much-sodium-do-adults-need-daily/
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    I try to keep my sodium intake under 2500 but my bp is on the low side too so once in a while i need to add salt to my food because i tend to get light headed and tired just to even it out but i don't go overboard though i also have gone over my self this week infact was the first time i went over in 2 months but if i were u i would not worry about it tomorrow is another day and u don't seem to have hypertension so u should be good :)