back where I started:(

Options
Here I was feeling really good about myself for sticking with the program, eating well, exercising like a fiend(according to my husband who really admires my discipline in this respect, only to find that I gained the 2 freaking pounds back that I lost during the first month here. Nothing's changed since the period I WAS losing those whole 2 pounds either. Here I was really thinking I looked trimmer, esp. in the tummy - maybe it's my imagination? Is it possible to look trimmer, and yet be 2 pounds heavier? I've been working out way even before I got onto MFP. Just needing some support here - maybe this was literally a blip on the scale(LOL) and next week I'll weight less? I am older(just turned 65 last week, 15 years post-menopause), so maybe this makes more of a difference than I was willing to admit. Bummed here! I still think I look a bit trimmer though, and my husband seems to think I'm looking pretty fit.

Replies

• wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    The scale doesn't mean jack crap. You should take your measurements because that's where it counts. Waist, hips, chest, arms, thighs, and any other part of the body you think needs work.
  • veggiegirl115
    Options
    You most likely gained muscle, which weighs more than fat. I would measure inches, not weigh in on the scale. Inches lost says much more than pounds lost.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    No an expert but maybe you are just toning up.
  • msobdupuis
    Options
    Take your measurements and go with that. Maybe you have built a lot of muscle with all this workout - which is good by the way. good luck!!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are trimmer and more fit.
    Remember that muscle is more dense than fat. So if you've lost some fat, but gained some muscle, you can end up thinner, fitter, but still at the same weight.
    The good news is that muscle uses more calories, even at rest, than fat. So as you add muscle, it can also be easier to lose weight.
    But... go ahead and check that you're measuring things correctly, eating enough and not too much, drinking enough liquids and eating enough fiber. You didn't provide information about that, so I can't really comment on your situation.
    Good luck!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Very likely to have a good bit of water retention as well after working out strenuously. You'd probably see it drop after a couple rest days but I wouldn't worry about it if you look and feel better. Ignore the scale, it lies.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes you can look slimmer and still gain, this happen to me and I just continued to exercise and watch what I eat, next week you will see a difference just stick with it..............I have gained some back due to family issues and now I am working on losing again.....keep up the good work...........
  • ludeo
    ludeo Posts: 75
    Options
    dont worry i had the same problem, but it really depends on how your clothes fit and if you can see a difference in yourself. dont stress to much about the scales. your partner will be able to tell as well. :)
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes feel? Are you walking taller? Are you sleeping better? Are you more energetic during the day? Are you engaging your core and not even know it?

I have discovered that the scale is secondary to the physical way you look and feel. For me self worth and positive choices are the only scale I need.

Good luck in your journey!
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are trimmer and more fit.
    Remember that muscle is more dense than fat. So if you've lost some fat, but gained some muscle, you can end up thinner, fitter, but still at the same weight.
    The good news is that muscle uses more calories, even at rest, than fat. So as you add muscle, it can also be easier to lose weight.
    But... go ahead and check that you're measuring things correctly, eating enough and not too much, drinking enough liquids and eating enough fiber. You didn't provide information about that, so I can't really comment on your situation.
    Good luck!

As long as your measurements are going in the right direction, that's what matters. I personally use body fat % as a measure of success vs weight from the scale. The lower my bf% goes, the more I can tell what I'm doing is working.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    <~~~~~see my graphic? This is what you lost, most likely, you gained muscle
    keep on going!!
  • 608peg
    608peg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing this together and he has dropped 15 lbs but he even notices that he looks like he lost a lot more..even so far as needing a belt on jeans that were very snug before. Feel free to add me as a friend..have not found a lot of 60+ people on here.

I am 64 and have gotten rid of 22 lbs since Jan, 2012. and hubby who is 65 joined several months later.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to look trimmer, and yet be 2 pounds heavier?

most definitely. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Jmbean84
    Jmbean84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments on building muscle but also I have found my weight fluctuates anywhere between 1-5 lbs daily. Even throughout the day my weight changes. I think scales should be banned. You need to look at your losses over a period of time. If it fluctuates here and there but goes down steadily over time, that's what matters. I also agree wih measurements. At times when my weight loss is at a standstill or very low, I notice I still lose inches. Even if it's just a quarter inch! Over time it all adds up. Keep your chin up and stay off that scale for a bit. Keep doing what you're doing and remember that even if you aren't noticing changes right away you are still moving in a healthier direction and your overall health will show it!
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks so far for the support - I had no idea that people would respond so quickly!
    I didn't take measurements when I joined up(maybe I should have). I tend to go by how my pants fit in general. It seems like they're STARTING to fit a little better. I would love to see my bra cup size go down too(that hasn't budged yet). A word to those who think I gained a lot of muscle - women don't gain a tremendous amount of muscle and what we gain, it comes slowly over time with absolutely doing everything perfectly especially diet. Of course, I realize there are some people who do put on more muscle than others though, genetics speaking in this case. I didn't increase my workouts(which have been in place for a LONG time, including weight training, cardio, hoop dancing and Pilates mat) any more since I joined MFP. My diet actually was already very good prior to MFP - it just needed to be trimmed a little. I do eat a lot of fiber in fruits, veggies, whole grains/whole grain products including sprouted grain stuff and beans(I'm mostly vegetarian), with my main sources of protein coming from eggs and seafood, then beans. I rarely eat refined flour products and my carbs consistently come in under the recommended amount(I'm afraid to eat more on account of my age), I don't eat fast food, ever, or most stuff that come in a box, can or bottle. I come in with some exercise calories left over too, averaging eating about 1400 calories total per day.
    Maybe even being as far as 15 years post-menopause is still making it difficult to lose? All I wanted to do was lose 9 freaking pounds...maybe I don't have to lose as many as I thought? Just wondering here...I have a hard time determining, like many women, just how large(or small) I actually am.
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    it's not so much that muscle "weighs" more.. because a pound of fat and a pound of muscle both weigh a pound... the difference is that a pound of fat takes up 'TTTTHHHHIIIIISSSSSS' much space and a pound of muscle takes up 'THIS' much space... see the difference??
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I wrote a freakin blog because of this very thing totally throwing me for a loop. Do NOT let it deter you. Whether you see it in number or pant size, or not...something is happening. Let it continue at whatever pace it is because one day, you'll wake up and suddenly something epic will have happened.
  • babaldwin
    babaldwin Posts: 4
    Options
    I struggle with the scale as well....When my weight is up I feel worthless....I have been doing the insanity program for 6 weeks now and while I have lost 7 lbs, I thought it would just call off...but my clothes are fitting better, and my energy level is way up. Take your measurements!! Then you will feel much better:)
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up!
    I'm somewhat relieved to see that others have had similar situations - would love to hear from more people, and thanks to the people who've already responded. By the way, my starting weight was 119 at nearly 5'5" and believe it or not, that's NOT skinny on me, even with muscle, because I have a very delicate bone structure(not Asian). I have had years when my weight was as low as 105-108 and I was fine with it and was very healthy and energetic and looked great in clothes. I just thought to get to 110 would be reasonable goal at this time in my life rather than going as low as 105. But I do have more muscle than when I weighed between 105-108 though, at least a LITTLE more. Not enough to look awesome at the weight I came in at yesterday however, which was my starting weight of 119. I was so thrilled when I lost 2 pounds, to get down to 117, thinking I was doing all the right things. I was going to measure myself this morning, but I can't find my tape measure ANYWHERE:( Just for kicks, when I go to the gym later, I'll weigh myself again - maybe it was a blip that I suddenly gained 2 pounds to end up back where I started.
    But again, maybe being way post-menopausal is throwing a wrench in the works? I thought that way after(15 years in my case)it all would have stabilized by now and the dropping of a just a few pounds would be easier.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    here's the thing: 1 lb of fat weighs a pound. 1 lb of muscle weighs a pound. BUT the muscle takes up less room while weighing the same amount - so you could very easily be SMALLER but weight the same because you replaced the fat with muscle.

Take your measurements in addition to weighing yourself.