Have no energy

Options
Hi Guys,

I'm feeling really drained with no energy today. Any helpful hints/tips to help me get the energy to be able to do a workout!

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Upbeat music helps me get in the mood, even if you just have it on while doing regular things, usually the beat just makes me want to MOVE.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Eat more?
  • cs8991
    cs8991 Posts: 2
    Options
    try fruits..they always give burst of energy..and they're always low calorie treats!!
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Food diary is not open, so can't give a good assesment but I noticed when I don't eat enough or load up on junk that my energy goes out the window. You may want to increase your protein and carbs a little.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    Drinking green tea and water helps. Banana's are good for energy as well. A good before workout snack is wheat toast with peanut butter and a sliced banana. Gives you a ton of staying power and it tastes lovely.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Caffeine?

5 hour energy...? Coffee? Tea? (I like green or white tea with mint...seems to charge me up) - all comes down to caffeine, though...
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I would eat a good snack, take a nap if you haven't gotten enough sleep, and then start out by doing a walk. Sometimes once you start exercising you'll find your energy snapping back! I get really wore out around TOM and also if I'm starting to get sick. I'm also really iron deficient so it can be tough to kick my own booty into exercising lol
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the eat more. I've also noticed when I don't drink enough water in a day, I feel much more sluggish than when I'm fully hydrated.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat more?

^this^
    it's hard to know if that's the answer since you're diary isn't open. also consider what you've eaten today - healthier is better for energy while sugars and simple carbs lead to crashes. did you drink enough water today? did you get enough sleep last night? how much are you exercising? are you possibly overtraining and need a rest day??
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would take a look at your diet, you may not be eating enough calories, or need more carbs. But right now maybe try a sugar free energy drink like V to get you going?
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way today....I ran out of steam about halfway through my weight training session during lunch and during my 20 minute rowing session after work today. For me, I don't think I ate enough. I bumped up my cal intake by about 200 tonight and I feel more "refreshed", if that makes any sense. i also added in some air popped popcorn for a snack, as I tend to gravitate more towards meat, fish and vegetables only.
  • kimmpro
    kimmpro Posts: 7
    Options
    Make sure to drink lots of water and distribute carbs throughout the day. There could be a lt of factors.

You could try short frequent workouts too...
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    i agree that fruits work but if you do not have any get something sweet like juice. Take a few swigs BUT DONT swallow it, spit it out. When that mighty tongue gets a whiff of that sugar it will alert the brain and trust me....you'll get a little burst of energy. Now i'm now saying it will provide enough energy to run 5 miles but it helps....and it's a lot cheaper than 5 hr or energy drinks.
  • twinkletoes2
    twinkletoes2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any time I'm sluggish like that it's usually that I need to eat more calories (sometimes just a 200 cal snack will do it) and/or I'm not drinking enough water.
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I feel this way I have a sandwich gives me lots of energy :)
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I've been trying to drink more water, I think it might be that I tend to eat a very light breakfast & lunch. Then overload on dinner. I might not be giving myself engouh energy for the day!
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hydrate! It's amazing what a couple extra glasses of water can do! But also check your carb/calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I've been trying to drink more water, I think it might be that I tend to eat a very light breakfast & lunch. Then overload on dinner. I might not be giving myself engouh energy for the day!

Yup, I think it is as simple as that. Your body needs energy and you have to experiment to see what makes you feel good.
    Try increasing your breakfast or adding in a few snacks, that might work better for you.

Make sure you are eating all your cals (plus exercise) too - often the answer to this question is not about when you eat but simply that you aren't getting enough calories - and calories = energy (literally!).