breastfeeding a 10month old and ???

Options
Ok so i know breastfeeding exclusively burns about 500 calories, how about breasfeeding a 10month old? I've set my calorie goal to 1200. What do you think, coz i want to use breastfeeding as my excersice, what do u think? Any mama's out there? Ur input will be appreciated. Cheers

Replies

• joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    I have read articles that vary. Livestrong says 500 calories. Another article said 500-750. And another web site said it depends on the age of the baby. So I am guessing no one knows for sure. .... I am exclusively BFing my 8 month old and I figure in about an extra 500 calories. I am listening to my body and paying attention to it. If my milk supply goes down, then I know I am not eating enough. Also, I eat if I'm hungry and don't if I'm not.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    depends how many times a day you are nursing!
    since a 10 month old should be starting to eat regular food, what are you nursing, twice a day? three times?
    hell if i were you i'd keep pumping extra milk just to burn extra calories. that is something i regret after having my last child!
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1200 calories is sufficient to produce quality breastmilk for your munchkin. It depends on how often the baby is nursing. I'm breastfeeding my 8mo, but she sleeps through the night, and nurses about five times during the day so I'm adding an additional 350 calories a day. When I was constantly nursing through the night and before she started on solid foods, I added an additional 500.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    By that point I was accounting for about 300 calories but I was never eating as low as 1200 calories. I think that is too low if you are still breastfeeding. Well, I think it is typically (not always) too low anyway. How tall are you and how much do you weigh right now?
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all, she b'fg 5-6 times a day and solids 2-3times a day.