The cereal diet

Options

Replies

• LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    The diet is cereal based but not completely just cereal. Basically lean protein whole grain cereals and a multivitamin. Together they should provide all nutrients I think.

Think again.
  • someonefromny
    Options
    true
  • someonefromny
    Options
    I agree that it is likely ideal to consume a well balanced diet but first of all that creates issues with determining overall calorie content as now you have 10-15 different foods sources to keep track of combining them constantly and the second issue this can be expensive for some people. Fortunately supplements exist that take care of this problem and the content of these vitamins has in fact been extracted from natural sources. The only real question is what about the phytonutrients that we may not know about at the present time but fortunately people have gone without entire foods groups for months and not had any issues so it can't be that much of an issue
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    All I want to know now is......................................do you buy the cereal with prizes in the box?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals are better than cheerios, they are whole grain and have lots of fiber to keep you full and detox your colon! Also, you need to get at least 25 grams of protein w/ each meal even if it's just a protein shake. Lowering your carbs and eating a slightly higher protein diet is better. Here's why. "The body burns these macronutrients in this order: First carbs, then fats, then protein. That means if you eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, your body will use the carbohydrates in the cereal to provide all the energy you need, burning no body fat. If you have a protein shake or eat an omelette, your body will go to your fat reserves and use stored energy to provide the energy your body needs to function. Most people eat more carbs and fats than protein, therefore, their bodies never get around to losing fat while maintaining muscle mass. If you reverse that, by eating protein and very little fat and only slow-burning carbs, you will get the desired result." (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-to-burn-fat-build-muscle.html) This was also explained to me by my doctor last week. It turns into muscle faster that way.

This is not even relevent when on a deficit. And contains some total broscience. Where is the support that says you should eat at least 25g with each meal?
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Supplements are not a cure-all for filling in gaps in a poor diet. But hey, have fun being unhealthy and regaining. Cheers!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is likely ideal to consume a well balanced diet but first of all that creates issues with determining overall calorie content as now you have 10-15 different foods sources to keep track of combining them constantly and the second issue this can be expensive for some people. Fortunately supplements exist that take care of this problem and the content of these vitamins has in fact been extracted from natural sources. The only real question is what about the phytonutrients that we may not know about at the present time but fortunately people have gone without entire foods groups for months and not had any issues so it can't be that much of an issue
    Actually, you'll find that this is quite easy with MFP. Sure, you still have to do some basic things, like making sure that your cup of cooked pasta is only a cup and not two. However, with a little bit of practice, you will be able to find everything you need in the MFP database (or you can add your own info).

My diary is public if you want to see what a typical day of recording looks like.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    One thing I have learned is that the conventional advice of eating a well balanced diet has not solved the obesity problem in this country and people keep getting fatter. I feel as though people need to keep things simple to document their daily calorie intake and I just chose cereal as my base of the plan but anything would work. This really is not that much different than meal replacements such as slim fast or the cookie diet.

Done being nice.

No, rarely do the food groups alone help with obesity. At that point, you have to make sure you're focusing a lot on the calories in and calories out equation. But preparing yourself to eat all of these food groups will help you maintain in the long-run. Just because you're losing weight doesn't mean you shouldn't incorporate whole grains, veggies, fruit, fats, proteins, dairy, and the occasional junk!

You're right. Cereal is like slim fast and the cookie diet.. Stupid.

You will lose weight. And you will gain it back.

OMG SLIM FAST WAS DA BOMB BACK IN COLLEGE. I would put it over my cereal lol.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I know someone very close to me who has probably done every fad diet out there. I have finally convinced her in recent years that all that crap is rubbish, and she just needs to learn how to portion control, eat REAL food, and try to eat healthy whole foods a majority of the time. She just started her "diet" again this month. I hate it when she calls it that, but whatever gets her to try makes me happy. She's cooking more of her own food and moving more - that's a great start imo.

The fact is, supplements, vitamins, meal replacements, all that stuff is great if you never plan on living without it. But, it's unrealistic to believe anyone really could or should do that. Who truly wants to give up eating REAL food, their favorite foods, and the occasional splurge on something totally bad for them? I doubt anyone does. You don't have to. You just need to learn how to eat properly, learn how to cook properly, and control your portions. Form a healthy relationship with food that is not emotional. Food is fuel, but it can be a pleasurable indulgence as well, if it's within reason or only on occasion. Get to know your body inside and out, because once you do that, you will know what you really need and you won't feel like you have to cut corners to lose weight or be healthy.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    I'm supplementing with whey protein mostly but any type of lean protein will do. I'm aiming for 100 grams of protein a day to avoid muscle loss. This is an important point though because many dieters I think think in terms of overall calories and negate protein but protein is essential on any diet. A little know fact is protein only has a 58 % conversion ratio into energy which means its better to make sure we are getting enough protein than worry about calories. Even if we eat too much protein with the 42% energy loss it negates the problem.

It is little known but you appear to be making misinformation viral. As in your other post it is only 30% thermogencis for protein conversion.
  • someonefromny
    Options
    According to you it is 30% according to numerous other sources it is 58%. for now the jury may still be out but so far I have read both but primarily 58%.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    This is not a real account or a real post. Neither is their other.

It's unimaginative trolling, but it looks like it is working.
  • someonefromny
    Options

I am interested as to why you think that. Regardless apparently this post has turned into a diet war.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

I am interested as to why you think that. Regardless apparently this post has turned into a diet war.

It's just not a very good idea to promote "fad diets" around here. They're not realistic long term and certainly don't teach people how to eat properly.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    All I want to know now is......................................do you buy the cereal with prizes in the box?

IDEA Fitness member

yes, yes, yes! i was wondering this too :D

this troll is loads of entertainment!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

yes, yes, yes! i was wondering this too :D

this troll is loads of entertainment!

I don't think the OP was trolling- I think they are truly someone new to diet/weight loss/nutrition and getting bogged down with all the diet misinformation out there, and selectively choosing bits and pieces from different diets. Unfortunately, that is about the worst possible choice, as many of the diets "work" as a whole but concepts like protein conversion to glucose (the 58% thing) are only applicable to low carb/low fat diets, such as the dukan diet from whence it came.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Cereal diet= fad. You can NOT live off of cereal the rest of your life. Cereal doesn't even fill me up - I could eat a whole box of cereal in a day- and still be hungry.
    Why limit yourself to cereal? Why in the world are people still DIETING? when they can just eat healthy?
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    356qou.jpg

haha love it!
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    Sounds like protein could be suffering...
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    One thing I have learned is that the conventional advice of eating a well balanced diet has not solved the obesity problem in this country and people keep getting fatter.

your fad cereal diet is the solution!