Best running shoes for over supination?

Options
I started jogging recently and after the last few times I noticed pain in the muscles on the ouside of my calf. Well on my last jog it finally got so bad that I couldn't hardly walk the rest of the way home because thepbearaain was just unbearable. The muscles were so tight that my feet went totally numb! After a lot of digging I think I've figured out that it's due to over supination. I have always walked on the outside of my feet. I guess it wasn't so much of a problem when I was thinner. Now with all the extra weight it's just pretty close to unbearable. I'm guessing there's good shoes to correct/alleviate some of this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in Running Shoes and get a free Gait Analysis. They will find the perfect shoe for you...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in Running Shoes and get a free Gait Analysis. They will find the perfect shoe for you...

THIS!
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    Can anyone reccomend a store? I have always hated shoe shopping, so I have no idea where to start.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are different stores in different areas so it depends on where you live. Here, we have the Maine Running Company, but I think they're just in Maine. Go to Google, type in running stores yourcity yourstate and I'm sure some options will come up.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I supinate and had a running speciality store put me in Asics gel running shoes. They work well for me.
  • DrJamesStoxenDC
    Options
    I was wondering if you might prescribe exercises or conditioning that is instead of just different brace or another brace for the feet like a shoe-orthotic for over supination which is a weakness in the landing muscles of the foot.

In running as you know there is simplistically the "take off" and the "landing" When you run with braces (shoes) your body has an artificial support and an artificial landing gear. Most runners strengthen the take off muscles thinking the artificial support and artificial landing gear (cushion) will do the trick. We all know the majority of injuries occur in the landings.

So many know of you are looking for the ideal brace like motion control shoes, orthotics, arch inserts and because you are not focusing on training the body to work right without braces you are always looking for the next brace like canes, walkers, wheelchairs until you are bedridden.

If you want to be a runner, the key is to strengthen the muscles that resist the impacts which I call the landing muscles, the spring suspension system muscles or the pronation supination cuff muscles.

The key isn't what brace-shoe you need because your muscles are not strong enough to keep your foot in the safe range between supination and pronation. How do barefoot runners do it?

Here are my last two articles you might find helpful:

How Does The Body Spring Back Safely From Impacts Of Running and Walking?

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/13/video-tutorial-12-is-running-bad-for-knees-how-the-body-springs-back-safely-from-impacts-of-running/

Self-Tests & Exercises To Reduce Over Pronation and Over Supination From Impacts During Walking and Running

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/18/video-tutorial-28-the-impact-absorbing-landing-muscles-of-the-human-spring-mechanism-testing-and-training-the-spring-suspension-muscles/

I hope that these tips will help you not worry so much about your next brace but rather focus on your form and technique

I hope this helps Sorry it was to the exact answer to your question but an answer out of the shoe box

Dr James Stoxen DC, President, Team Doctors