Too much fat from Fish?

Options
Hi, i keep goin over on my fat count on here everytime i slap a big lump of fish on, normally Salmon. Should i be too worried as i thought most of the fats from fish are really good for you?

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    No.

It ultimately breaks down to calories in, calories out. While fat can, oddly enough spike insulin in some cases (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20823489), it's nothing to really worry about at all. Salmon especially has a ton of nutrient value that makes it awesome, for both the Omega-3 fatty acids it provides, to the high protein content, potassium, vitamin E, D, B12, etc.

Keep eating fish basically.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Salmon is very good for you, I normally steam mine. It is a relatively high calorie/fat fish so I eat it sparingly opting for white fish like Cod, Haddock, Plaice, Sole etc instead, not as high in EFAs as Salmon but still a good source of protein.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No.

It ultimately breaks down to calories in, calories out. While fat can, oddly enough spike insulin in some cases (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20823489), it's nothing to really worry about at all. Salmon especially has a ton of nutrient value that makes it awesome, for both the Omega-3 fatty acids it provides, to the high protein content, potassium, vitamin E, D, B12, etc.

Keep eating fish basically.

This. Awesome source of Omega-3. Fats don't make you fat. Calorie surplus makes you fat.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It depends how much over you are. There's a reason they sell fish oil in capsules in the stores. And why, before that, they sold bottles of cod liver oil.

In generally, fish fats are healthy for you. They are unsaturated, unlike fat from red meat, and have a variety of health benefits.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys that has put my mind to rest. :)
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel sometimes the same way about salmon too. I recently have been doing a new trick which has really been working well for me. I make a BIG salad and only use lime and a little bit of salt on the veggies..use no olive oil or any fats..but eat my piece of grilled salmon on top. I break off pieces of the salmon and eat with the salad. Turns out super filling and not too bad on calories..I feel good after eating it too. : ) Keep up the good work!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Just portion fatty fish down. I eat half as much salmon as I would, replace that with a white fish (super lean). It's just like adding egg whites to whole eggs, just to keep calories low but still get enough protein.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I would recommend cutting down on fatty fish.
    Try Tilapia! One Tilapia fillet has only 1 gram of fat :)
  • mmapags
    Options

What would the rationale for this be? To reduce calories? That I could understand possibly. But the fat in fish, Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the most beneficial fats that exists. Many people take fish oil supplements to get MORE, not less. It has beneficial cardio effects, it's anti-inflammatory, there is a whole host of benefits. Other than calorie control, I can't imagine why you would limit it. And then, I'd reduce calories somewhere else and get max dietary benefit from the fatty acids in fish.
  • chris1816
    Options

Tilapia is good, but crap-tier fish nutrition wise when compared to tuna, salmon, cod, or halibut. Sure salmon for example is dense in calories, but worth every bit of it. If excess fats were bad for you, especially healthy fats, keto diets wouldn't work so well for folks on a cut.
  • mmapags
    Options

Tilapia is good, but crap-tier fish nutrition wise when compared to tuna, salmon, cod, or halibut. Sure salmon for example is dense in calories, but worth every bit of it. If excess fats were bad for you, especially healthy fats, keto diets wouldn't work so well for folks on a cut.

Great points!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

What would the rationale for this be? To reduce calories? That I could understand possibly. But the fat in fish, Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the most beneficial fats that exists. Many people take fish oil supplements to get MORE, not less. It has beneficial cardio effects, it's anti-inflammatory, there is a whole host of benefits. Other than calorie control, I can't imagine why you would limit it. And then, I'd reduce calories somewhere else and get max dietary benefit from the fatty acids in fish.

Most people on this site are only here because of counting calories...........not because of what is truly healthy.

The oily, fatty fish are the ones that are the most healthy and beneficial, but people only think of the calories.

Ditch the cupcakes and soda and other processed foods people and then calorie ****ing doesn't really mean anything.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Fish is the only meat I eat on any sort of regular basis, and yes...it puts me over my fat goals at times. But I'm still losing, and it's "good" fat, so I don't sweat it.
  • chris1816
    Options

Ditch the cupcakes and soda and other processed foods people and then calorie ****ing doesn't really mean anything.

I think you accidentally typed calorie c*nting, and I love you for it.