C25k challenge?

Options
I was looking into this and was just wondering how much weight have you lost with the program? Do you enjoy it?

Replies

• COOKINATOR
    COOKINATOR Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow.......well should I say today I will be doing day 2 of week 1 so I will keep ya posted :)
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing week 2 over right now, I have asthma so running longer intervals is harder for me, but I actually decided today I am not watching the scale, it went up, but I know I'm doing ok, and my bff has been doing it now almost the full program and she's been very disappointed to not see her super hard work reflect in the scale, but it's making major changes to her body, she looks absolutely amazing. So screw the scale! :) As far as enjoying it, absolutely! Maybe not at the moment of doing it, but certainly after because you feel like you've accomplished something!
  • FooFatFighters
    FooFatFighters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 2nd run tomorrow for Week #3. The first week I was wasted running that 1 minute, I think my pace was probably too fast which got me into trouble. This third week even though two of the runs are 3 minutes long it doesn't seem as bad as I keep a slower pace, I'm getting used to it and there are only four runs. I'm using the Get Running iPhone app to coach me. I found it's best to leave it on minimal coaching as it was killing me when it would say I have 10 more seconds of running.
  • Marglyne12
    Marglyne12 Posts: 26
    Options
    I am in Week 6. I am doing day 3 over, because I was 3 minutes shy of the 25 min run. ( I was only going to run 2 miles, since I already walked 2 miles earlier. Kicking myself now) I really enjoy the C25K program, it has really helped me. As for weight loss, nothing much yet. I lost 4 pounds in 6 weeks, I was expecting more. I have lost inches, well at least my clothes fit looser. I run my first 5K on July 1st. I plan on completing the C25K program and improving my speed for the next 5K in September.
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Day 2 of Week 1 today! I plan on repeating week 1 next week cuz the jogging for a minute is killing me. I want to better myself before heading into Week 2. Problem is, it's gonna be real hot out today. Does anyone know if doing the C25K on the treadmill have the same results??
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Can't say about weightloss as I've been naughty eating wise recently, but I started out using this plan as a complete non runner and 3 mths later I'm now running 5ks 3/4times a week as regular run and loving it. I've done a couple of longer runs too but I tend to swap to either concentrate on speed or distance each time I go out.

I'll be completely honest and admit I was nearly dying the first week after just a minute running! I agree with a previous poster that I probably started too fast too... If you give it a go find your comfortable pace - you're running for fitness not sprinting lol. You'll naturally get faster as you get stronger and more used to running. I also found that by about week 4 I opted to listen to my own body rather than continue following the plan as my stamina allowed me to push myself further than I would have done. Having said that don't try to push too hard as although your stamina builds fairly quickly it takes a bit longer for the strength of your muscles to catch up making it easy to injure yourself!!
  • NuttyGooner
    Options
    I have almost finished week 1, but will be doing it again, as my mother wants to give it a go, and it would be nice to have someone to run with.

For me, I just want to have a heathier heart and cardiovascular system out of it, if I lose weight too, it's an added bonus :)
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Day 2 of Week 1 today! I plan on repeating week 1 next week cuz the jogging for a minute is killing me. I want to better myself before heading into Week 2. Problem is, it's gonna be real hot out today. Does anyone know if doing the C25K on the treadmill have the same results??

Doing it on the treadmill is better than not being able to finish due to heat for sure!!! I go either later at night or sometimes in the morning, though that's rare, my body isn't warmed up enough so I find it's really hard then. Around my home, we have no flat roads at all, so I get a much better workout than I would on a treadmill, but the treadmill is easier on the knees I've heard. I have to agree, I was going WAY too fast, slow down. I was surprised to find that 90 seconds isn't that much different than 60, and I got bored walking the 2 minutes, so now instead of following the app, I tend to do things a little differently on my own, I go longer intervals instead of the 1/2 hr, I walk further to warm up more, usually 12-15 minutes, then jog 60-90 seconds, walk about the same unless I just went up a hill and am dying, then I give me a little longer, and just keep going until I'm done with my 3.5-4 mile terrain, can't quit til I'm back to my car! :) I also stop at the mid point and stretch usually for about 5 minutes too to give me a breather to get back into it! Works great! :)
  • vespertinestar
    Options
    I'll be on week 5 run 3 on Friday. No extra weight loss because I eat back my exercise calories to maintain a nice even deficit every day. I could barely run for the required minute at the start (I have asthma and was fat, lol) and now I can run for the 8 minutes a time required by my last run and I kept on jogging into the cool down too. Jog for fitness not for weight loss :D
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 1, day 2. Feeling pretty good, so looking forward to day 3.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was on week 2 of the challenge and rolled my ankle, but I will be starting up again this weekend probably. It was helping me lose weight I believe, but then again I had started Insanity the same week. One thing I can definitely say is my legs were getting a lot thinner and it was getting rid of my thunder thigh problem. My man is a leg man so that was very important to me, he also told me my legs were looking way firmer and cut.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Tonight is the last run of week nine! I'm down 26lbs but what I notice more so is the way my body has changed, things aren't as jiggly as they used to be! Plus the runners high you get after the 1st 20min run makes it all worht it!
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I finished it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great. I was able to run an entire 5k race two weeks ago.

No weight loss though (still eat too much) but still totally worth it! I
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've only lost about 4 lbs (1 month in...), but I've lost inches like crazy. I can now fit into a size smaller pants size.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Ive plateaued weight loss but I lost 2" in hips since I started. I'm on week7day1. I love it.
  • LaniCanDoIt
    Options
    I started my day 1 of week 1 yesterday. I am hoping to be able to run 20-20 minutes non-stop. I also would like to do another 5k soon. My first 5k was the Run for Your Lives - Zombie run that was back on June 2nd. It was great but I felt so out of shape since I barely can run up the hill. I would like to get some motivation and hopefully register to run again next year.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I finished it and lost 8 lbs during that time- my eating wasn't the best so I should have lost more. I've been running 3-5 times a week since I graduated though :) Love the program.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    This is my 2nd time around doing C25k. I am on W5D1.

The last time I did it, I lost 20 pounds....and that is without changing or paying attention to my diet.

This time around I am paying attention to my diet and I have already lost 10 pounds.

It's a great program. It's gets you running :-)

PS. I am running 4 days a week this time around since I have already been running for a year. I had an injury that put me out of commission for a few months which is why I am doing it over. Running 4 days a week as opposed to 3 days (what I did last time) makes me go through the program faster than normal however I would not recommend that to someone the first time through it. 3 days a week is plenty.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I didn't do c25k with a view to weight loss, but since completing in may, I have lost over 7 lbs in 5 weeks from Mid may to now as running is my only form of exercise. and the more weight I'm losing, the faster my pace
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

there's nothing 'wrong' with doing c25k indoors on a treadmill,especially if the weather is too hot in the summer ( or too cold here in england)..at least you are getting your exercise in...but as someone who has just finished, I would urge people to run as much as possible outdoors..it's more challenging and much more interesting and the learning curve really does show you what you are capable of and how to get better.