Apple has more sugar than Donut?

Options
I was bad and had a glazed donut at a meeting I was at this morning. To counteract my guilt about eating said donut, had a honeycrisp apple after lunch. I was very shocked to find out that the apple had more sugars than the donut! I know there is more good stuff in the apple, but that was my surprising find for the day.

PS - Actually enjoyed the apple WAY more than the donut :)

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugars are counter-balanced by the fiber in the apple which means it doesn't spike your blood sugar like the donut does.
  • klybarger
    Options
    Understand that, but the food counter still tracks them the same, right?
  • fahensley
    fahensley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The apple will stick with you longer. Especially if you were to eat if before excercising. The apple has "good" carbs that help your body when working out!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between sugar from fruit and added sugar to foods like donuts. Sugar from fruits is packaged with lots of good stuff - vitamins, fiber, water, etc. Personally, I don't count the sugar from fruits and veggies when I'm comparing my sugar intake to the recommended sugar limits for the day. (Though I don't go crazy eating tons of fruit - I usually stick to 2 servings a day.)

Here is the recent American Heart Association guidelines on added sugars - it's worth a read!
    http://americanheart.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=800
  • fahensley
    fahensley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, Bananas are some what the same. Melons and bananas are really the only fruit you should watch out for, not exclude, because they are still good for you. Other than that, Id say eat apples all you want!
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Refined sugars and natural sugars are as different as fresh water and salt water. It is interesting to find stuff like that though
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    can you eat srawberrys:wink: all you want??
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

You can't eat "all you want" of anything. :tongue:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options

Ice :bigsmile:
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Ice :bigsmile:

Love it!:love: I've found Ice to be the absolutely best thing to keep me awake when I have to drive long distances. Fun! I suppose you could get the chills if you chewed on too much ice!:bigsmile: