what should i do?

Options
i have only been doing cardio because i have lupus and my joints can't handle lifting or squats or lunges or weights. i've lost 58 pounds, 32 since janurary. i am allergic to NSAIDS so i'm screwed as far as pain medications go.

i have about 30 more pounds to lose. does that mean i will be, "skinny fat" because i haven't done any lifting?

Replies

• bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    nothing?
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Look into Qigong. My acupuncturist suggested it to me as in Chinese medicine they do not believe in straining your body with heavy weights, cardio. She actually has really mucular arms and that is all she does. I believe it is kind of like tai chi. The DVD she suggested is Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health - The Eight Brocades. I have not done it myself.

Other than than, can you use light weights for upper body?? Maybe you can try seated, nonweight leg extensions?? Standing leg curls no weights?? Sorry, don't really have a good answer for you. What type of cardio are you doing?
  • bikhi
    Options
    i am walking 3 or 4 hours a week and i ride an exercize bike 45 minutes a day. i do have some 5 pound weights that i try to lift every day, but my upper body joints hurt too. i also can't grasp a lot of things because the joints in my fingers are starting to get deposits and some of them won't bend.

at least i can't complain that the weight isn't coming off. it hurts to exercize but i do it anyway.

yeesh! getting old hoovers!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    What about low impact toning such as pilates and yoga?
  • bikhi
    Options
    i tried yoga, can't get on the floor.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    i am walking 3 or 4 hours a week and i ride an exercize bike 45 minutes a day. i do have some 5 pound weights that i try to lift every day, but my upper body joints hurt too. i also can't grasp a lot of things because the joints in my fingers are starting to get deposits and some of them won't bend.

at least i can't complaon that the weight isn't coming off. it hurts to exercize but i do it anyway.

yeesh! getting old hoovers!

I would seriously look into the Qigong then. I believe a lot of it is slow, purposeful standing movements... good for the mind and the body. I good friend of mine had RA, I know how debilitating it can be. So glad you can walk/bike. Keep that body moving as much as you can. Good luck to you.
  • bikhi
    Options
    just googled it and i think i will give it a try.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    have you looked into reformer pilates?
  • ukyo999
    ukyo999 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and my physical therapist had me do strength training in the regular pool at the Y. My Y also have water weights that add resistance.
  • 3dgbern
    3dgbern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Swimming or water aerobics? Low or no impact, good cardio and good strength builder using water resistance. There are many non swimmer water exercise classes as well as more swimmer oriented ones. If you're a non swimmer, you could always learn.
  • bikhi
    Options
    that sounds interesting but i am limited on space. my husband died a year ago and i had to give up my home and move in with my parents. i will check to see if there are any classes in my area.
  • bikhi
    Options
    i'll check into that too.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi ......

Or "seated yoga" ("Yoga for the Rest of Us" by Peggy Cappy) ..... for those of us with joint pain .....

Feel better :flowerforyou:
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Try swimming. It work your legs and arms and abs. Also water aerobics. Maybe even water running. I've heard about injured runners going to water running until their injury heals. And they stayed in shape doing it.
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. My mom has lupus (systemic lupus) and she uses the total gym. It can fold up into and be put in a corner so it is out of the way when not in use. I am not sure how you sit financially, but you can buy them used and also new with payments. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and hope that you continue to do good day by day.
  • bikhi
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone. it's been a rough year but i'll survive and keep losing.